Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel LTE

Just today I saw some guys from Digicel in action, seems like Digicel is gently phasing out their Ericsson equipment. I happened to be passing by a site in Montego Bay today where they (Digicel) were installing a new ZTE Base Station. Antennas have not gone up as yet but I assume that will happen in earnest. Those ZTE Base Stations remind me of the Huawei Base Stations their competition uses. Compact and Flexible.

Note that the site is perhaps an LTE-Only site i.e. 2G/3G are not being offered over that equipment as of yet. The lack of LTE from Digicel in the area was pretty noticable too given the fact that its competition has been using LTE equipment since last June/July and has LTE coverage in every nook and cranny of the city too.

When I switch to LTE it holds to connection now.. it's doesn't revert to 3G/4G ... On LTE signal is weak thou 1-2 Bars...
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    When I switch to LTE it holds to connection now.. it's doesn't revert to 3G/4G ... On LTE signal is weak thou 1-2 Bars...
    Yeah man, it is still in testing..... it reeks of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Just today I saw some guys from Digicel in action, seems like Digicel is gently phasing out their Ericsson equipment. I happened to be passing by a site in Montego Bay today where they (Digicel) were installing a new ZTE Base Station. Antennas have not gone up as yet but I assume that will happen in earnest. Those ZTE Base Stations remind me of the Huawei Base Stations their competition uses. Compact and Flexible.

Note that the site is perhaps an LTE-Only site i.e. 2G/3G are not being offered over that equipment as of yet. The lack of LTE from Digicel in the area was pretty noticable too given the fact that its competition has been using LTE equipment since last June/July and has LTE coverage in every nook and cranny of the city too.
    Out of curiosity,why are they favoring ZTE over Ericsson? Also is Ericsson still responsible for repairing both networks? I remember they were years back for LIME at least so what is the situation now with both?

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    Out of curiosity,why are they favoring ZTE over Ericsson? Also is Ericsson still responsible for repairing both networks? I remember they were years back for LIME at least so what is the situation now with both?
    This move is more about cost cutting, than anything else. Ericsson still operates Flows Network infrastructure. Brandysull will further elaborate on you're questions. But I do know that Digicel began the 2030 project to be more efficient, effective and more profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    This move is more about cost cutting, than anything else. Ericsson still operates Flows Network infrastructure. Brandysull will further elaborate on you're questions. But I do know that Digicel began the 2030 project to be more efficient, effective and more profitable.
    So Ericsson would be the one who operates FLOW NOC? As that was the agreement back then or is it only for legacy lime they responsible for

So Ericsson would be the one who operates FLOW NOC? As that was the agreement back then or is it only for legacy lime they responsible for
    Yes Ericsson is responsible for the maintenance and upgrade of Flows Network, which includes Flow NOC. I believe the main NOC is remote, so it also has jurisdictions on the entire CWC/Liberty Network in the Caribbean and Panama markets. Legacy Lime is being slowly phased out. But I believe maintenance on legacy Lime is done locally, along side technical support from vendors of the equipment, which should be Ericsson.

The move to Ericsson was a cost motivated one. The company has over 30+ markets that all need to be constantly upgraded and retooled to take on the demand of customers’ data demands. For that reason, ZTE’s Software defined radio solutions won the battle for ‘hearts and minds’ if you will. Digicel is taking cues from C&W in my opinion because they too secretly went with a Chinese vendor (Huawei) for mobile network as well as new rollouts for their wireline (VDSL2+) network. Not only are they cost efficient but they are also key to relation management and on time product delivery to the end user (this is a bit hard to explain).

Ericsson is FLOW’s partner for network monitoring and maintenance (Managed Services). As to whether they are still offering services to Digicel is simple to answer. For the interim; yes. Long term; no. Digicel still operates on Ericsson equipment but is phasing ZTE equipment slowly. Currently, Digicel is busy all around Montego Bay deploying LTE over ZTE’s platform. The Ericsson equipment still remains on site and 700 MHz panels are simply being added to accommodate the new frequency. This is far less intensive than what FLOW did in 2015 where they ripped and replaced the entire lot of Ericsson RBS3000s across northern Jamaica. I actually am looking forward to seeing what Digicel derives in terms of cost savings from going over to ZTE (partially; Kingston is still Ericsson).
    Last edited by Brandysull; Jan 10, 2018 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    Yes Ericsson is responsible for the maintenance and upgrade of Flows Network, which includes Flow NOC. I believe the main NOC is remote, so it also has jurisdictions on the entire CWC/Liberty Network in the Caribbean and Panama markets. Legacy Lime is being slowly phased out. But I believe maintenance on legacy Lime is done locally, along side technical support from vendors of the equipment, which should be Ericsson.
    FLOW’s NOC is in Trinidad & Tobago. They also have one via their managed services agreement with Ericsson in India too. This is across Cable & Wireless and Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    FLOW’s NOC is in Trinidad & Tobago. They also have one via their managed services agreement with Ericsson in India too. This is across Cable & Wireless and Columbus.
    Interesting, Never thought that it would be located in T&T. I thought that it would be in Florida or Panama. Wish it was in Jamaica though. The NOC in Jamaica is reserved and just second tier.