Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Brandysull View Post
    Well, it seems FLOW's been doing some work on 3G in the interim... Take a look at this screenshot

http://i.imgur.com/7nDtxrq.png

The upload peaked at 4.59 Mbit/s (5.7 Mbit/s is the max speed of HSUPA)... something I'd never seen on the network even a year ago, when they had DC-HSDPA active. It even bested the upload speed on an LTE speedtest I did (albeit on REALLY poor signal)

http://i.imgur.com/1LjFpwp.png

I've even noticed a dramatic decrease in ping times across their network... on either sides of the island. In addition, LTE's been a bit wonky as of recent. My device couldn't even register on LTE at all (I suspected it was an issue with the MoBay Core network and the Kingston Core Network & the HLR/VLR lookups).

My mind tells me that they're doing some major work (AGAIN) on the network apart from LTE upgrades... sites from the December 2016 light-up are getting hammered with traffic and so it seems FLOW will soon have to open the flood gates on capacity and perhaps do some sector splits pretty soon!
    Will these Technical issues affect the Launch date of the service to the Public?. A very large amount of people. Including Flows customer care agents, dont know that Flow is offering LTE since December 2016. So I guess that they are Ironing out the issues, before they inform and launch fully, the service to the wider Public.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Sep 9, 2017 at 01:02 AM. Reason: removed large pics from quote

T Mobile unlimited plans now include free Netflix streaming.. -_____-

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    T Mobile unlimited plans now include free Netflix streaming.. -_____-
    I've heard about this, I think this is a good move. But I'm not sure if it is sustainable in the long term. Really wish our Carriers here in Jamaica, would offer unlimited data plans. And plans with capped streaming included.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I've heard about this, I think this is a good move. But I'm not sure if it is sustainable in the long term. Really wish our Carriers here in Jamaica, would offer unlimited data plans. And plans with capped streaming included.
    I don't know if Cable & Wireless had any say in this but TSTT (bmobile) in Trinidad has begun to offer all unlimited plans with speed caps for video, music and online gaming at 512 Kbps. Their FUP has a 20 GB high speed cap, thereafter, you will be reduced to 256 Kbps for the remainder of your billing cycle. Nice that they're listening to customers there... I hope that they CWC minority owned TSTT rubs off on FLOW and soon we'll see something similar.

P.S. IMO, Trinidad does not have the requisite bandwidth or capacity for this... Only LTE networks I can see handling that kind of proposition is Digicel Cayman and FLOW Jamaica, simply because of the wideband LTE network and dense coverage geography their networks operate on as a result.

The issue I'm seeing is where FLOW and Digicel aren't able to target specific niches... While their LTE networks do have some appeal to the wider public, they are missing out on appealing to specific market segments who can more than afford certain services like unlimited data and/or plans greater than 10 GB a month with bundled subscriptions from Netflix, Spotify, Apple Music and the like. Customers here still pay a relatively higher cost per gigabyte than even the USA in some packages. Point is, they can do better but they choose not to... as usual.

FLOW is on a roll it seems, about to launch LTE in some parts of St. Lucia and in Grenada as well. Haven't found out what bands they're operating but this will make for their eighth and ninth LTE market... a first to market for both countries. In the same region, Digicel has around 7 LTE networks active.

I don't know if Cable & Wireless had any say in this but TSTT (bmobile) in Trinidad has begun to offer all unlimited plans with speed caps for video, music and online gaming at 512 Kbps. Their FUP has a 20 GB high speed cap, thereafter, you will be reduced to 256 Kbps for the remainder of your billing cycle. Nice that they're listening to customers there... I hope that they CWC minority owned TSTT rubs off on FLOW and soon we'll see something similar.

P.S. IMO, Trinidad does not have the requisite bandwidth or capacity for this... Only LTE networks I can see handling that kind of proposition is Digicel Cayman and FLOW Jamaica, simply because of the wideband LTE network and dense coverage geography their networks operate on as a result.

The issue I'm seeing is where FLOW and Digicel aren't able to target specific niches... While their LTE networks do have some appeal to the wider public, they are missing out on appealing to specific market segments who can more than afford certain services like unlimited data and/or plans greater than 10 GB a month with bundled subscriptions from Netflix, Spotify, Apple Music and the like. Customers here still pay a relatively higher cost per gigabyte than even the USA in some packages. Point is, they can do better but they choose not to... as usual.
    Lord, I wouldn't mind if they introduce something along that line here in Jamaica. Flow needs to push more than just Deezer, I myslef would love YouTube and Netflix streaming. Hopefully, now that Flow is upgrading their Network to LTE. Maybe we will see, some form of unlimited and capped data streaming in the very near future.

FLOW is on a roll it seems, about to launch LTE in some parts of St. Lucia and in Grenada as well. Haven't found out what bands they're operating but this will make for their eighth and ninth LTE market... a first to market for both countries. In the same region, Digicel has around 7 LTE networks active.
    This is interesting, Flow is really going aggressive with their LTE Upgrade. These Island normally, would be put in the back line when it comes to Major Network upgrades. But now that Liberty Global is moving confidently towards a broadband and data growth strategy. All their Markets I presume will be upgraded to the latest technology in the very near future. I wonder how Digicel will respond?, seeing that they don't have the vast resources at their disposal, like Liberty Global. Their response might seem reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    This is interesting, Flow is really going aggressive with their LTE Upgrade. These Island normally, would be put in the back line when it comes to Major Network upgrades. But now that Liberty Global is moving confidently towards a broadband and data growth strategy. All their Markets I presume will be upgraded to the latest technology in the very near future. I wonder how Digicel will respond?, seeing that they don't have the vast resources at their disposal, like Liberty Global. Their response might seem reserved.
    Absolutely, FLOW's network in a number of markets has outgrown its 3G network's breeches... I've been studying a number of their markets in the Eastern Caribbean and I've seen where they're in dire need of high capacity data networks. ECTEL (the lower OECS' version of the Spectrum Management Authority and OUR in regards to Telecoms) to my knowledge has not been cooperating as much as FLOW & Digicel would like in terms of availing spectrum to expand their 3G networks to offer vast capacity on 850 MHz, 1900 MHz & 2100 MHz (which only Digicel uses) while providing 2G on said spectrum and having 'greenfield' spectrum for future LTE deployment.

As such, it doesn't surprise me that FLOW St. Lucia has launched LTE in the capital city, Castries & its surrounding areas, Hewanorra Airport to the south of the island (and the surrounding town of Vieux Fort) and the old capital & tourist town of Soufrière (home to The Pitons, Soufrière Estate and Anse Chastanet) to the west. I reached out to FLOW St. Lucia to find out what band their network operates on & its max speeds; they'll be emailing me that information soon.

Digicel has alot of work to do their however... I've gotten data samples from there and from what I'm seeing, their 3G network, while providing speeds of around 6 Mbps during moderate load, suffers from high latency likely as a result of microwave backhaul forming the basis of their network. While adequate for 2G and early UMTS & HSPA but for today's modern data networks, HSPA+ and LTE, they'll need to upgrade the solution they're using and their core network as well.

I suppose they're doing so but mum's the word from them while C&W goes live in St. Lucia and Grenada (in October)... perhaps St. Vincent, St. Kitts & Nevis, Dominica and Montserrat thereafter in 2018, the final 4 markets without LTE (that we know of). C&W will then have LTE in every single market of operation... a truly staggering feat IMO considering no other operator has ever done this in the region.
    Last edited by Brandysull; Sep 9, 2017 at 06:14 PM.

Status update: FLOW's wrapping up deployment in Kingston & St. Andrew... coverage is now comprehensive and still maintaining the usual 40+ Mbit/s average speeds. By end of month they'll have about 80+ sites in KGN alone with LTE (to put into persepctive, that is 39 Gigabits of combined throughput from the LTE layer in Kingston ALONE). They're wrapping deployment elsewhere as well, looks like we're nearing the official launch. In total, FLOW has 9 LTE markets (4 more wireless markets are left but FLOW St. Vincent and FLOW Grenada are already live with LTE, just not launched as yet... so that leaves just Montserrat & Dominica* as the only LTE-less markets). (Dominica's LTE network was in testing but the work has obviously been delayed due to Hurricane Maria's effects there... FLOW got the Band 13 licenses for SLU, DOM, SVG, SKN & GND)

FLOW's practically become a wireless juggernaut overnight and I'm actually astonished at how they did it right under Digicel's nose

FLOW's parent (LiLAC) is reportedly in striking up talks to buy Millicom International's LATAM assets (better known as Tigo), which may see FLOW spreading into Latin America and perhaps even Africa (to join C&W Seychelles).... who knew that the CWC buyout would be such a seminal moment for mobile & broadband connectivity in the region?
    Last edited by Brandysull; Oct 1, 2017 at 01:43 PM.

FLOW's parent (LiLAC) is reportedly in striking up talks to buy Millicom International's LATAM assets (better known as Tigo), which may see FLOW spreading into Latin America and perhaps even Africa (to join C&W Seychelles).... who knew that the CWC buyout would be such a seminal moment for mobile & broadband connectivity in the region?
    Interesting info - but I thought the current parent was LG. Or the handover is still not complete because of the requirements that LG has of FLOW for the current infrastructure?
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".