Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flow Seek to block Streaming Services

whats the sense of flow to go if it eats your regular data plan..

flow should allow even at lower quality (480p) a bit more data for flow to go like they do allocate for deezer- that way they would win over some more subscribers in the mobile arena
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    whats the sense of flow to go if it eats your regular data plan..

flow should allow even at lower quality (480p) a bit more data for flow to go like they do allocate for deezer- that way they would win over some more subscribers in the mobile arena
    I am saying the exact same thing. They should go further and allow unlimited Streaming, even as you suggested at lower quality resolution. They should have also allowed cable subcribers to have unlimited streaming of TV on the go. Flow needs leaders to vision and plans to grow the company and its profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan77791 View Post
    I am saying the exact same thing. They should go further and allow unlimited Streaming, even as you suggested at lower quality resolution. They should have also allowed cable subcribers to have unlimited streaming of TV on the go. Flow needs leaders to vision and plans to grow the company and its profit.
    This is where Net Neutrality comes into focus. Do we want Flow picking winners (i.e. streaming their busted programming) or would we rather have robust data plans that let us pick the services we want?

Flow is largely responsible for driving their customers to seek alternatives. They found them and now Flow's problem goes far beyond unlicensed content. YouTube, Facebook (free), Amazon Video, Netflix (subscription based) and Google Play Video (paid VOD) all provide tons of legal material. A media player is just a different kind of cable box

I do see them trying to innovate, particularly where live sports is concerned but as you say, they need leaders willing to recognize what is going, as they eventually did with the phone-bypass situation and those utterances from Stephen Price don't inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    This is where Net Neutrality comes into focus. Do we want Flow picking winners (i.e. streaming their busted programming) or would we rather have robust data plans that let us pick the services we want?

Flow is largely responsible for driving their customers to seek alternatives. They found them and now Flow's problem goes far beyond unlicensed content. YouTube, Facebook (free), Amazon Video, Netflix (subscription based) and Google Play Video (paid VOD) all provide tons of legal material. A media player is just a different kind of cable box

I do see them trying to innovate, particularly where live sports is concerned but as you say, they need leaders willing to recognize what is going, as they eventually did with the phone-bypass situation and those utterances from Stephen Price don't inspire confidence.

Do we want Flow picking winners (i.e. streaming their busted programming) or would we rather have robust data plans that let us pick the services we want?
    I agree with you here, we the consumers and paying subscribers should have the choice to choose to do what we want to do with the Internet service we pay for.

My wish for Flow now, would be for them to revamp their Mobile Data plans and include video and YouTube streaming into the plans for prepaid and post paid subscribers. For the life of me, I cant understand why either Flow or Digicel wont accommodate Youtube and Netflix streaming into their plans?. I understand that the cost is high, but Im sure that they can come up with something profitable for them, and affordable for us.

I keep requesting and recommending to Flow that they create and included Streaming services within their data plans, and charge affordably for it. Flow is currently building out, an LTE Network. So the Network should be able to handle the increase load, as it is designed for data and IP services than 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post

I agree with you completely, 100%... They're fighting a losing battle. One which imo, is fruitless. It is impossible for FLOW to sate media demand in a country where data usage has grown so rapidy and extensively. As people use more data, their tastes change too. It is unfair and unrealistic to want to block content from 'unlicensed' operators when you yourself lack the foresight or ability to satiate the demand with just as well-built products. They lost the fight with OTTs like Viber, Skype, FaceTime and now they're fighting video... If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I'm sure Legal & Regulatory would never start such discourse with the regulator; it's a slippery slope.

I think FLOW and Digi have been reading too much from larger country carriers and not thinking for themselves. Net neutrality and pirated content aren't one and the same. It's also proven that the best way to combat piracy is to offer an alternative that does allow customers to watch when, where, and how they want. Do they not notice the rise of virtual MVPDs and SVOD content in US market? While they have their technical challenges, and quality issues for high demand live content, they are growing subs more each day. When Apple started iTunes Music, it gave people option to get just the song they want vs an album and that actually worked out great.

FLOW and Digi, I'm sure, have the contacts to reach out to for content deals - they need to work on that and not worry about restricting their very customers.