Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Else Being Approached By LIME to Switch from FLOW Fiber to Metro?

TwistedPair Guest

Both point-to-point and DIA, the problem is that Digicel only has fiber in Kingston and Mobay. I have 3 other locations they cant cater for, if they did I would probably switch. When I say affordable I talking about 3 times the speed I have now for a similar price.

MPLS is very go protocol

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
    Both point-to-point and DIA, the problem is that Digicel only has fiber in Kingston and Mobay. I have 3 other locations they cant cater for, if they did I would probably switch. When I say affordable I talking about 3 times the speed I have now for a similar price.
    But is money the only factor that would make you change ? what about reliability and responsive to outages (that occurs in every network).And remember that digicel's DIA nust go through LIME/FLOW off island fiber so make the price they are offering may not stay that way for long and the contract is not riddle with hidden clauses.

TwistedPair Guest

Regarding outages we have redundant links to every location, the SLA specified in your contract typically guarantees 99% uptime (361 days) or 99.9 (364 days). DIA is a small part of the pie for me, you can get that from anyone really, what interests me is being able to switch form 2 Megs to 6 Megs for a point to point link for the same price and what that would mean for day to day operations. As with all contracts they are meant to be read, preferably by your lawyer and all appendices provided and clarified. I currently have services from all three players, I don't have any complaints with Digicel corporate nor Columbus Communications. Lime Corporate has screwed me over more than a few times mainly when Frame-relay was still a thing and because their corporate structure is extremely fragmented.

Regarding outages we have redundant links to every location, the SLA specified in your contract typically guarantees 99% uptime (361 days) or 99.9 (364 days). DIA is a small part of the pie for me, you can get that from anyone really, what interests me is being able to switch form 2 Megs to 6 Megs for a point to point link for the same price and what that would mean for day to day operations. As with all contracts they are meant to be read, preferably by your lawyer and all appendices provided and clarified. I currently have services from all three players, I don't have any complaints with Digicel corporate nor Columbus Communications. Lime Corporate has screwed me over more than a few times mainly when Frame-relay was still a thing and because their corporate structure is extremely fragmented.
    Well if you can get Metro vlan service that's reliably price and stable at a cheaper price then go for it .

So you guys really trust like 2 cm deep trenches Digicel putting their fibre in? Good luck with that...they came to me and I run them with it. There is a reason its so cheap.

In the industry micro-trenches are 2cm wide not deep. They can be anywhere from 10cm to 60cm metres deep. How deep were you told their trenches were?

I'm pretty sure it's 2cm wide. The depth can be anywhere between 30cm - 60cm.
    Calm Like a BOMB

Quote Originally Posted by tonyr View Post
    Sir the terms are interchangeable .Flow has a Metro service which do provide layer 2 connectivity to various locations across the island over fibre .So yes i can compare the two .And the two service providers do provide DIA over fibre .Again I can run a comparison
    So what in that you fail to comprehend
    all dem use packet switching technology

Just for clarity, I have both services at one my locations, both companies provide DIA as well as point-to-point services to that location. Both services are over fiber, LIME terms it Metro Lime and FLOW calls it VLAN. How they each manage the routing and switching of their core network for these services I cant say, but as the end user I am provided with similar equipment. A simple Ethernet switch with a fiber uplink, from which I get point-to-point and DIA.

The LIME rep was trying to get me to "Upgrade" my other locations. Since my initial post my Flow sales rep informed me that LIME was apparently playing dirty, that prices would not be shifting and were secured by my contract. I guess what threw me initially was that the sales rep termed it an upgrade until I asked why would I need an install fee waived for a service upgrade.

I don't get this strategy if the plan is to merge. Side note for corporate, Digicel now offers the most affordable fiber.

The reason LIME is calling you is because the staff at both LIME & FLOW is operating as business as usual. I assume it applies to low level - mid level staffing So the same situation applies to FLOW sales rep. Just what they say may vary but if they can win a LIME customer they will go for it. When the decision is made on operating structure based on the approvals then we will see if its 1 company or 2 separate entities.