Thread: LIME modems configuration question

Default LIME modems configuration question

Greetings folks.

I have a speedtouch 536 modem. When i connect it to the phoneline, i get Power, Lan, DSL and Internet lights, but no internet access.

The LIME contractor explained that LIME was phasing out these modems and presented us with a SMARTRG wireless modem. It works.

I would like to use the Speedtouch as a backup however, in case something happens to the wireless modem and i mentioned that to the ADSL support person at LIME.

She explained to me that no other modem can be used on my phoneline except the one that LIME provisions, not even another SMARTRG.

I have been turning that over in my brain and even though i know the software options can be coded to allow something like that, I am seeking clarification here.

1. Is this One Modem story true?

2. Is there no way i can keep a backup modem to keep my net flowing until a technician can get to my house?
    (made a report to LIME on the 26th and apparently the contractors can't find my house on the map up to this posting)

3. If i get all the lights on the modem, it stands to reason i should be able to get access to the internet, if so, how do i make it happen?

4. Finally, is it my imagination or is the Smart a flimsier modem than the Speedtouch?
    Do nothing which is of no use.
    The Way is in Training.

The Speedtouch modems are very solid pieces of equipment and have been in existence for years. They however they require a manual setup and LIME has intentionally phased out those modems in favor of the SMARTRG series that can be configured from their office.

To be honest unless LIME provides the settings for the Speedtouch you may be out of luck and even then their new system probably only recognises the SMARTRGs.

The setting for the VPI/VCI settings and username/password for PPPoA are some of the most important parts.
    Last edited by psilos; Sep 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMac2 View Post
    Greetings folks.

I have a speedtouch 536 modem. When i connect it to the phoneline, i get Power, Lan, DSL and Internet lights, but no internet access.

The LIME contractor explained that LIME was phasing out these modems and presented us with a SMARTRG wireless modem. It works.

I would like to use the Speedtouch as a backup however, in case something happens to the wireless modem and i mentioned that to the ADSL support person at LIME.

She explained to me that no other modem can be used on my phoneline except the one that LIME provisions, not even another SMARTRG.

I have been turning that over in my brain and even though i know the software options can be coded to allow something like that, I am seeking clarification here.

1. Is this One Modem story true?

2. Is there no way i can keep a backup modem to keep my net flowing until a technician can get to my house?
    (made a report to LIME on the 26th and apparently the contractors can't find my house on the map up to this posting)

3. If i get all the lights on the modem, it stands to reason i should be able to get access to the internet, if so, how do i make it happen?

4. Finally, is it my imagination or is the Smart a flimsier modem than the Speedtouch?
    Simple test

Reset the speedtouch to factory settings and configure it with the same settings that are on the the smart rg modem. Match the vci/vpi, nat, firewall, and ppoe/a settings and see if the status changes to connected with a public ip.

I had one of these modems as backup for many years too and I am back on it now since my last modem died.
    Product Name: SpeedTouch 5x6
    Serial Number: 0551CH9J8
    Software Release: 5.3.3.4
    Software Variant: AA
    Boot Loader Version: 1.0.18
    Product Code: 3583754C
    Board Name: BANT-J
    First thing I did when I resurrected it was update the firmware but that was a bit involved to get the right base config back on, these modems are very configurable.
    The first place I would check is the default website 192.168.1.254

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr View Post
    The first place I would check is the default website 192.168.1.254
    I think that's 192.168.1.1/admin for the SmartRG actually and maybe one of the other default addresses for the SpeedTouch - 192.168.0.1 / 10.0.0.1.

Also - ensure you get all the information from them if you get the SmartRG because they have a habit of changing your passwords from their end these days with those modems.

As for the older modems not working - I doubt that. It's just a matter of the configurations unless they've phased out those and are using some newer connection protocols - which I highly doubt.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

The older Speedtouch modems were ADSL only and most of the exchanges were upgraded to ADSL2+. I am having a similar problem , I am trying to reactivate my Zhone 6211 modem which worked 2 years ago when i had adsl before switching to flow. There is adsl signal on the line .. but my vcp/vpi/username/password will not work. Not for hell can i get customer support on the line... KMT
    Workstation: MacPro Server: HP Proliant ML10v2 with TrueNAS 12.0 Core

Quote Originally Posted by Rx View Post
    The older Speedtouch modems were ADSL only and most of the exchanges were upgraded to ADSL2+. I am having a similar problem , I am trying to reactivate my Zhone 6211 modem which worked 2 years ago when i had adsl before switching to flow. There is adsl signal on the line .. but my vcp/vpi/username/password will not work. Not for hell can i get customer support on the line... KMT
    turns out it was wrong authentication credentials. I also got their SmartRG 350N wireless adsl2+ modem. Not liking it so far, as LIME locks you out of the admin page. Customer service refuses to give up the password.
    Workstation: MacPro Server: HP Proliant ML10v2 with TrueNAS 12.0 Core

Quote Originally Posted by Rx View Post
    Similar situation I have with a friend. Many years back they bought an Speedtouch modem from a store because for some reason their current modem LIME gave them wasn't working. Fast forward to this month and the modem keep restarting.

I lend them a newer speedtouch that I had used with LIME a few years back, but not having any luck with it connecting to the net, even though I reset the config.

LIME's new modems cost $5,400~ plus GCT., which is more than the cost of Flow's basic package plus installation fee.
    Worst can't get to LIME support at the moment.

Just telling them to switch to Flow and done. It cheaper at 12 times the speed they getting.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

sLIME keeps changing the protocols and they do it now from their offices. If you change the admin access password on their modem they will not be able to do that and you simply will not get any connection. If they realise that they constantly receive complaints from you about lack of internet service each time they do one of their upgrades, then they will simply change the admin password and lock you out of their modem.

As Khat said, the ClearAccess configuration page is 192.168.1.1/admin. Default login is admin, admin.
    The fox was probably right - they could have been sour grapes.