Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Still looking for a job

fa realz? damn son! thanks for the heads up!
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    so it seems, but which agency u go to that dont charge? a dat mi wah know! u got any interviews tru dem?
    I'm not saying that they don't charge I'm just saying they're not scammers, they will find jobs for you they might take a while but that's ntn ur not used to, & wen they find a job that fits ur qualification then they call u and brief u then send u on the interview or sumtimes u get hired on spot. The first agency sent me down the wharves for 7 months and now I'm in a job from the second 1, the 1st 1 I did a panel interview and this 1 I didnt get an interview I just walked in a job

not all of them are str8,some are pure scam,when checkin out an employment agency, be sure to do some background checks,
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

well, i just got ma 4th "no opportunities" letter from L.I.M.E - real confidence building
    Facebook || Twitter

at least u got a response.... most of these places dont even have the courtesy to call and say " no vacancies".

i received 2 letters last week saying the same thing........... might as well start a collection
    HAHA
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

A man once told me that once you get called for an interview the job is yours, but not many people know how to keep it before they leave. Its all in the interview.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

hmm...funny thing is - i think my interviews usually go fine cuz i've heard before from interviewers that they like my personality - but then i get asked questions about professional experience and at that point, its usually up to whether u have it - or not (which seems to be my case). Honestly, there seem to be a trend where during the interviews, im asked questions on skills and experiences outside of my current scope of understanding.. answering becomes problematic because as much as i want the job, i just know that it wont be going to me..

e.g. - in a couple of interviews i been on - i got asked like do you have any experience with Linux server administration or do you have any experience with PBX's or with VOIP installation and configuration. At that time, all i can do either say "i dont have experience with that - but i learn fast" or use what i know and learned so far to try and answer the question - and thats when things usually go downhill..

at any rate - its possible for me to be missing something else in these interviews - but i could still use some advice for next time
    Last edited by vylle; May 19, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Facebook || Twitter

jackal Guest

Now see that's what I alluded to in an earlier post. If you get asked about Linux administration but you don't have 'real world' experience.Then your answer should be along the lines of "I am running <insert Linux version here> in my home lab. In fact, just last week I assisted <insert free work here> with configuring their <insert environment here>. Outside of that I am a regular contributor to <insert Linux project here>. I remember having this <insert problem> and I wrote this <script>( which I posted on my blog) to solve it. What flavor of nix are you running?<get answer>. Funny you should mention that, I saw this post on twitter recently about <insert topic> that affects that kernel." You just now demonstrated experience, passion, ability to solve an issue and how you keep abreast with what's happening.

Another example, if you mention that you learn fast, then follow up immediately with an example. "I remember when I was faced with <insert challenge> and I had to learn <insert technology> in a short time frame. The approach I took was<insert approach>. It this kind of mindset/approach/thinking that I would be bringing to<company>".

It's ALL in the interview.

And it gooes on and on.

Let me share an experience. I remember going to this interview when I was green. I had absolutely no experience. NONE. I knew this, so I decided to demonstrate passion and a willingness to learn. I cut out an Ad from the paper about the company. When the question was posed as to why I wanted to be apart of the company, I went into my folder, took the article out and read sections of it. I then tied what I read to aspects of own my values. And finished off by saying a company that stands for this is one I want to be a part of. GAME OVER.
    Last edited by jackal; May 19, 2011 at 09:51 PM.

he was asking for linux SERVER experience in mid-large scale companies - i didnt want to exaggerate my experience so what i had mentioned was "I do not have any server experience, however, i have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a virtual machine on ma PC at home in order to use gparted to partition an ext partition on a drive and also to learn more shell commands." i was asked "so what have you learned to do thus far from Ubuntu?" - so i said "simple stuff like Gnome desktop installation and security policies (user and kernel passwords), android SDK setup for better synchronization with my home network to include wireless tethering for my android devices. Originally, i use Windows 7 but i decided to broaden my experiences and use other Operating systems - its no problem for me to learn, i learn quickly".

i like what you said.. but honestly, im still new to nix (outside of android) so i dont wanna jump the gun and talk about things i didnt know how to do. i figured in that discussion, i mentioned that i had knowledge on setup of virtual machines and system partitioning as well as networking knowledge.
    Last edited by vylle; May 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Facebook || Twitter

jackal Guest

Have you thought of taking a job outside of IT to get into IT? So say digicel for example, you would take a job in the call center while keeping a look out for openings in the IT section.

The objective is to get in. Once in, you play the system to your advantage. This approach has worked for some.
    Is that an option?
    Last edited by jackal; May 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM.