Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Companies that use Cisco equipment

Default Companies that use Cisco equipment

Guys, i was just wondeRING..... any one knows which companies out here in jamaica utilise cisco equipment on a day to day basis..... Because i really want to work in a company that utilizes these equipment. i find that many companies out here dont really use the equipment because they are 'expensive'.

Right now im unhappy that i am not working in a cisco environment and Sometimes i wonder if it really makes sense for someone to pursue cisco certs since there are few companies out here that uses them..

feel free to answer
    Dip,Bsc,CCNA,CCSP,MCP.. Up next MCSA WINDOWS 8, CCNA SECURITY,CCNP SWITCH,
    CCNA SEEKING AN OPPORTUNITY
    Theres no Friend Like Google..........

hmm... let see I think illuminat does. There is Betting and Gaming place there i think, very few.

Once the network is separated or should I say subnetted a router is used. In more than 95% of the case the equipment used is Cisco. There are other vendors with equipment that is just as good but you will find that larger companies prefer to standardize where possible. In terms of routing, Cisco is the standard. Switches have been comoditized so it depends on the features you need form the switch and the scale of the deployment.

Companies with large networks in Jamaica almost always have Cisco equipment in house. Among the largest users will be Telecoms, Government and Banks. Companies with multiple locations would also be included.

Fret not Sir, your certifications are not in vain. Landing a job is a difficult process regardless of your profession and qualifications but don't give up hope.

I would expect to see Cisco routers in organizations that have several branches that are linked over a WAN.

It is hard to justify the cost of Cisco equipment in other environments. Less expensive equipment will work just as well.

I would start looking in the banks, building societies and at UWI.

BTW, I have always seen a Cisco certification as a good supplement to a MCSE. In this environment, you will be expected to have a good understanding of local area networking as well. WAN knowledge without LAN knowledge is not very useful in Jamaica.

In countries that are large enough, specialization will take place. That is not usually the case here.
    Last edited by jamrock; May 5, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

so again i ask......... what are the companies out here that actually utilise cisco equipment?

most companies in jamaica cant afford to be a pure cisco environment - whenever i've been on interviews and i ask this question they tell me they have a couple of routers and other equiptment but its only a small fraction of the equiptment they use - i hear linksys alot among others

but crazee, i like EIGRP as much as the next guy and it easier to just use 1 straight protocol throughout the network but isnt it better to work in a mixed environment where you get more exposure outside of cisco equiptment?

EDIT - digicel is looking for netxar sales person - their asking for persons with CCIE and a vast knowledge of cisco routing and switching protocols - u can always give it a shot
    Last edited by vylle; May 6, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by crazeeplayer View Post
    so again i ask......... what are the companies out here that actually utilise cisco equipment?
    Sorry to have to Bust your bubble but let me chime in here:-
    Think of your CCNA as a learners permit it will just about get you a tour of a NOC (Network Operations Center) or a view from the front door but that is as far as it going to get you in any Jamaican Company. The CCNA means you understand the technology but you still don't have the license to drive it yet. You are still years and Certs away

My humble suggestion to you is to find and area to specialize in because its gonna be a difficult ride to reality if you keep throwing CCNA in possible employers face more over in Jamaica. Its difficult in the States with a CCNA to even get near the equipment more-so Jamaica because most local companies will import skilled Cisco techs to install/monitor any large deployment of Cisco equipment.

The cost of Cisco equipment is a also deterrent, and no company is going to afford you the time to come in and learn and experiment on their live system. That's the reason Cisco Certified personnel have multiple Cisco Certs and invest heavily in used hardware for practice. Its just a Cisco trust/fraternity thing.

That's just the reality of the situation so advice from me to you; "You have a lot more books to read and equipment to purchase and a whole lot of playing with them before your quest will be anywhere being completed". So making such a brash request as to the companies that do have huge local deployments (which others have tried answering) with just a CCNA Cert still won't get you further than the front door of any NOC unit.

I would suggest you do the MCITP tract as a pre-cursor along with acquiring more Cisco certs and use that to leverage yourself into a complete Cisco environment.
    Last edited by jahman182; May 6, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

Quote Originally Posted by jahman182 View Post
    Sorry to have to Bust your bubble but let me chime in here:-
    Think of your CCNA as a learners permit it will just about get you a tour of a NOC (Network Operations Center) or a view from the front door but that is as far as it going to get you in any Jamaican Company. The CCNA means you understand the technology but you still don't have the license to drive it yet. You are still years and Certs away

My humble suggestion to you is to find and area to specialize in because its gonna be a difficult ride to reality if you keep throwing CCNA in possible employers face more over in Jamaica. Its difficult in the States with a CCNA to even get near the equipment more-so Jamaica because most local companies will import skilled Cisco techs to install/monitor any large deployment of Cisco equipment.

The cost of Cisco equipment is a also deterrent, and no company is going to afford you the time to come in and learn and experiment on their live system. That's the reason Cisco Certified personnel have multiple Cisco Certs and invest heavily in used hardware for practice. Its just a Cisco trust/fraternity thing.

That's just the reality of the situation so advice from me to you; "You have a lot more books to read and equipment to purchase and a whole lot of playing with them before your quest will be anywhere being completed". So making such a brash request as to the companies that do have huge local deployments (which other tried answering) with just a CCNA Cert still won't get you further than the front door of any NOC unit.

I would suggest you do the MCITP tract as a pre-cursor along with acquiring more Cisco certs and use that to leverage yourself into a complete Cisco environment.

when i said utilise i didnt mean for me to come in and go on on the equipment becuz i am aware that companies do not want any "newbies" to come in an configure the equipment. Even if you know your stuff you still have to prove yourself to show that u can handle the equipment.

i just want to be in an organisation that utilises the equipment so i can learn more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by crazeeplayer View Post
    We have told you where to look. You now have to do your research.
    Last edited by jamrock; May 6, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quite a bit of companies use Cisco equipment....As small as a router to full fledge Cisco IP PBX (Unified Comm Manager ala Call Manager)

Most enterprises use Cisco Routers & Switches.
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)