Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To feed or not to feed

Default To feed or not to feed

Doctors removed the feeding tube that has kept a brain-damaged Florida woman alive for 15 years Friday after U.S. lawmakers tried to prolong her life by subpoenaing her to appear before Congress......
    Click here

Everyday, across the world, thousands of parents and spouses are forced to make life-and-death decisions about whether to let their loved ones live or die. As the world awaits the fate of Terri Schiavo,..
    And here

What do you guys think about the Schiavo case? Is it right that her husband wants her to die or is it right for her parents to keep her alive?
    Last edited by Elzeus; Mar 23, 2005 at 07:48 AM.

Default Re: To feed or not to feed

Quote Originally Posted by Elzeus
    Click here

And here

What do you guys think about the Schiavo case? Is it right that her husband wants her to die or is it right for her parents to keep her alive?
    I don't think it's that her husband wants her to die. He claims that she told him, and others, that she would not want to live in a persistent vegetative state (PVS) and is simply trying to follow her wishes.

IIRC, under the law the spouse is the immediate next of kin/guardian, and it is up to them to make any medical decision pertaining to their husband's/wife's medical treatment if they are incapacitated.

I think that politicians and right-to-life groups have jumped onto the Schiavo case for political reasons, and could care less about her.
    Nexus S - Android 2.3.3 CM7, Jame Bond kernel with BLN, ext4 & full voodoo
    Bold 9700 - OS6.0.0.448

Quote Originally Posted by nigelt
    I think that politicians and right-to-life groups have jumped onto the Schiavo case for political reasons, and could care less about her.
    I thought the same thing. Bush needs America's confidence and support because he's failing miserably as their president. He knew the courts would uphold the original verdict but it would look good with religious conservative and kinda make him look like he cares.

I think she should be taking off life-support because what kinda life is it supporting anyways? She lived her life now let her go instead of let her live in agony. Next she might have a stroke and lose motor functions....then become blind...till the only thing left alive is probably her beating heart. I know i would never want to see my spouse like that. Bush should've just stayed out of it. He's violating the man's right too which is unconstitutional. I guess because he can bully Iraq, he thinks he can bully Americans....thank God for a judicial system that is actually independent of and devoid of political agenda...not pointing any fingers now

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Where there is life there is hope.

How do you balance the faith or the parents and friends who beleive that a Miracle is possible ? as opposed to the Husband and Doctors who do not beleive in such a thing ?

We have a conflict of interest, forget the politics because it is obscene what they are getting up to. I want to consider how do we cross the line of faith versus medicine ?

Someone said well if they take the support systems offline... then by faith alone she should live and regain a meaningful life.

It is tricky yes ?
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Exactly....if the Lord wishes her to live or die then inserting the tube nor removing it will not affect it any way possible....

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

I say take her off support system, assasinatedont re-elect bush. and let nature take its course .
    SMART PHONE: Note 2 (N7100) [B] Ps all Pics are taken with the phone in my sig.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Where there is life there is hope.

How do you balance the faith or the parents and friends who beleive that a Miracle is possible ? as opposed to the Husband and Doctors who do not beleive in such a thing ?

We have a conflict of interest, forget the politics because it is obscene what they are getting up to. I want to consider how do we cross the line of faith versus medicine ?

Someone said well if they take the support systems offline... then by faith alone she should live and regain a meaningful life.

It is tricky yes ?
    This is how it's balanced. If you want to determine medical treatment (or lack thereof) for yourself based on your religion/beliefs then fine, that's your right. However, you cannot use your belief in faith healings/miracles/whatever-you-want-to call-it as a basis for overriding the decision of another adult human being (or their legal guardian), which is basically what the parents want to do to her husband.

Court-appointed doctors have determined that the woman has no cortex, which basically means there is NO HOPE of recovery.

Her husband is her legal guardian, and as such, makes the decisions regarding his wife, regardless of any one else's beliefs or opinions. This right has been upheld many, many times since 1990 in this case. Her parents and the politicians just keep trying to finding a way to subvert the courts' rulings.
    Last edited by nigelt; Mar 23, 2005 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Nexus S - Android 2.3.3 CM7, Jame Bond kernel with BLN, ext4 & full voodoo
    Bold 9700 - OS6.0.0.448

pcchick Guest

But..........they are KILLING a LIFE SLOWLY. *sigh* So why not give the tube back to her. The judge taking his sweet time to rule watching and waiting her to pass, is cruel.

Next, he might as well disown her and not claim her as wife cause him done move on and have ooman and pickney already. So he just wants the misery to be over by ruling to slowly kill the woman. Leave the decision to the parents now man for this reason. He wants her dead and the family wants her to live, leave them alone.

It is just no tright to me no care if you are disabled or in a vegetaed state to deny me food or something to drink and watch me slowly die. Even the prisoners and criminals on death roll get a chance to eat food before the chair, so why not this innocent life?

Just let her be and feed the woman man. EVERY one deserves a chance to live.

If the woamn said that she did not want to be kept alive in case of just such a scenario....it's her wish. It would be grossly improper for anyone, doctors, parents or a husband to decide otherwise for them. That is why it is important to put things in writing.
    Now here we have a situation where the husband "say" that his wife wants such and such. What you gonna do?
    Calm Like a BOMB

If i am in a state, i pray to god my sig other or a bredren have the strength to Od mi on some morphine, or use the pillow over face thing.

@PCCHICK, what if when you are in that state: YOUR BRAIN IS DEAD, if you have a soul, it would be trying to leave your body, but you are technically still alive, so you would be stuck in a limbo. $%@@ that $@$@# let mi go on.

Have any of you ever had that sleep thing where your mind is awake and your body is sleeping, and you cannot move, cannot see, cannot hear. her brain is dead!! and if she has a soul i am sure that is what it is going through. FATE worse than hell.

If she specified like i did, that she does not want her shell kept alive, let her have her wish. If people tried to force their wills on me like that, i would sell my soul to the devil to come back to earth as a demon/evil spirit and torment them and their families for at least 4 generations, by making them relive that hell everytime they close their eyes.!!!! I swear to god.

We are all individuals, and no person govt entity has the right to determine what you do with that one life that we are given. What if Govt passed law that say you must take pacifing drug, or get chemically castrated, or some such other thing that violates your person, u would quite rightly rebel, and throw them out of power. It is her life, and while i think removing feeding tube is a bit inhumane, esp if she still aware, it is her right. ( I would just smother her with a pillow, or call Dr. Kavorkian)
    Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan