Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Apps To Have For Android "Categorized" (Good Read for Android Newbies)

Visually Regina Launcher is a neat one.. missing a few things but potential is there. GoLauncher is what I'm using now though.... Launcherpro before

Quote Originally Posted by JaDragon View Post
    Quite an Interesting list you have here
    Thanks, will be updating shortly, been busy with school

Quote Originally Posted by K-Swiss View Post
    quite an extensive list ute.....good stuff....going try out some of them............having issues trying to root my phone tho
    Trying to help out android users find good apps among the many that are out there...

What phone are you using? What android version?
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Aug 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

using the Samsung Captivate .... 2.2 Firmware.....

Default Rooting Captivate

Hey, you may have checked this site out already, but in case you missed something:
    XDA Dev's Captivate rom and rooting guide for captivate
    Also, you may wish to check out links to the guides found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=887525
    Hope those will help you out. Oh and btw, as soon as you are properly rooted, make sure you install a custom recovery image like Clockwork Mod so that using custom gingerbread roms will be easy. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Jay16 View Post
    For me i Say its between LauncherPro and ADW EX
    I agree, if you want "Sense-like" widgets Launcher pro + is great, but the most customizable launcher has got to be ADW Ex. Sure LP+ has themes and custom drawers etc, but ADW Ex has more effects and options to choose from plus themes are available too and i find it equally fast. But as a side note, Go launcher Ex is pretty nice too, though for me i hate losing screen real estate due to the tabbed drawer design. Install them all n play with 'em, see which you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanpiere View Post
    I agree, if you want "Sense-like" widgets Launcher pro + is great, but the most customizable launcher has got to be ADW Ex. Sure LP+ has themes and custom drawers etc, but ADW Ex has more effects and options to choose from plus themes are available too and i find it equally fast. But as a side note, Go launcher Ex is pretty nice too, though for me i hate losing screen real estate due to the tabbed drawer design. Install them all n play with 'em, see which you prefer.
    Yea they are all good launchers but for me ADW EX is the best, its fast and very customizable. I use it on all my phones... before flashing a rom i edit it and drop it in the system apps so i have it from the get go .

But i do think you should try them out and see what you like.

There is also an open source one called Zeam its pretty fast... not sure about customization though

Quote Originally Posted by jeanpiere View Post
    Hey, you may have checked this site out already, but in case you missed something:
    XDA Dev's Captivate rom and rooting guide for captivate
    Also, you may wish to check out links to the guides found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=887525
    Hope those will help you out. Oh and btw, as soon as you are properly rooted, make sure you install a custom recovery image like Clockwork Mod so that using custom gingerbread roms will be easy. Cheers.
    Yea he should def check out that or he can try this Z4ROOT
    Try this, its a apk that does the rooting without any external apps... it works on all variations of the Galaxy S

Z4ROOT

how do i get z4root on my phone? ...........i placed the file on my phone and it said i was blocked because it isnt a market app......
    Go into settings, then select "applications" then tick or select "Unknown Sources - Allow installation of non-Market applications". Do u have ADB setup on your PC?

when i go to "Applications" i see Manage apps, Running Services... Development and USB SEttings.....nothing to tick
    Check inside "Development and USB settings"
    Last edited by Cultus; Nov 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

how do i get z4root on my phone? ...........i placed the file on my phone and it said i was blocked because it isnt a market app......

when i go to "Applications" i see Manage apps, Running Services... Development and USB SEttings.....nothing to tick

just "USB Debugging" and "Allow Mock Locations"
    Last edited by Cultus; Nov 14, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

I could have sworn there would be a section under the applications menu by the name of "Unknown Sources" or something along that line to be able to allow non-market apps.... you can try this program to root your device then

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

That app will allow you to enable non-market apps on your captivate also.

So Plug in your phone via the usb cable then hit Root follow whatever instructions it may give then after you root the phone, hit "Allow Non-Market Apps"
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Aug 7, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

gonna try the ADB .....

adb works, as long as you have it setup correctly...

let me know if you get thru

here is a program that gives you a bit more flexibility with managing your phone from your pc

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...ows-and-macos/

The Captivate for some reason does not allow the installation of apps from external sources.... so has to be manipulated otherwise
    Last edited by King_Jay16; Aug 7, 2011 at 10:07 PM.