Thread: For those of you looking to 'fly out' ...

Default For those of you looking to 'fly out' ...

Don't be too annoyed when certain ignorance smacks you in the face, just laugh at it.

For example:

If someone asks how you how you learned to speak english and speak it so well at that. you'll probably smile when you think to yourself that you probably weren't even a teenager by the time you knew that they speak mainly portuguese in brazil, spanish in cuba, german in germany etc. etc. yes, we grew up knowing that there exists a world outside jamaica and we learned about that world

If someone expresses surprise that there are buildings taller than two stories, skyscrapers even in jamaica. Yes, there is a strange notion that seemingly exists among some '1st worlders' that jamaica (and most of the other islands) comprises mainly of rugged paths, huts along the beach and the 'natives' under coconut trees smoking weed all day.

And if they're surprised that business in jamaica exists a lot like business in the rest of the world with a stock market etc. etc. .. just say 'yes wow' along with them.

Default Re: For those of you looking to 'fly out' ...

I agree, for example, that there are no other genres of music played in Jamaica outside of Dancehall, not even Calypso. Then nod your head and humm T.I.'s "You Don't Know Me"

Or that there is no other brand of clothing outside of Irie Man/No Problem Man T-shirts. Then you back out your Cooyah or Wayot or Bob Marley Gear and walk str8 pass them. The ignorance is all too plain.

Once while I was in Florida, I swear all the people dem ask me to sing was Red Rat's -tight tight shorts, and Vegas' - Head High. To hear me belting the Lyrics to "I'm a Hustler Baby" by Jay-Z [which was in at the time] was a miracle to them.

Their impression was that a two storey house in Jamaica is a really tall Banana Plant, "cable" [as in TV] is the vine we swing on from one neighbour's banana plant to the next. Bathing is done only in the river and we walk around barefoot. When we enter the States [for example] all the clothes they meet us in, were hand me downs from our residential "relatives...Go Figure. I guess IgNoRaNcE iS ReAlLy bLiSs."

This is all so true. You would be surprise to know how backward they think we are.

I was talking with an Israeli online some years ago who was under the impression that all Jamaicans smoke "weed"

i know this all so well and speak of it very often

more time mi want fi pop some caps...but i guess they don't know better

some of them are frigin morons though
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

and they all think jamaica is a bed of roses, but mek them come find out for themself

Quote Originally Posted by acidblade
    and they all think jamaica is a bed of roses, but mek them come find out for themself

no sah...mi affi disagree

dem more think a civil war a gwaan by the news their media feeds em
    Proud Jamaican and Japan Enthusiast
    www.Jamaipanese.com
    Jamaica + Japan

lol someone once asked if i know wat BET was.
    i was like, no whats that?
    "Dont watch me ... watch TV"

One of my step-father's friend visited us about 3 years ago from the great US-of-A. What a woman can talk about her belongings. She never failed ti mention the new camry she got in her driveway back home. A few days later before she left we saw said model car running the taxi route in mobay square. She was sooooo .... my brother and myself just laughed to ourselves.
    Calm Like a BOMB

pcchick Guest

My old sergeant back in the army told me that my combat boots were my first pair. Why? Cuz we jamaicans walk barefoot down there all the time and have no shoes.

Ok fi real to rasta george.