Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackberry Playbook Reviews!

There is ONE thing to stop the Playbook, and ONE thing only...APPS!!!!

The Playbook OS trumps iOS, the browser wins hands down of any tablet or mobile phone, even with the lacking email client etc, it is the flippin boss, but without apps, it will all go to hell (this is what has been holding android back as an OS), and that's basically what most of the credible reviews say (as I have always said), it's all about the apps. Yes, the appstore is filled without alot of waste apps, but it has so many quality apps to do just about anything you need an app to do. The Playbook needs the dev community behind it or it will have a rough ride, but something tells me the dev community will be liking the device enough to see its potential and develop apps for it.
    Google Nexus 6P™

Just get over it already, get an ASUS Eee Slate with Windows 7 .
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Quote Originally Posted by toyanucci View Post
    There is ONE thing to stop the Playbook, and ONE thing only...APPS!!!!

The Playbook OS trumps iOS, the browser wins hands down of any tablet or mobile phone, even with the lacking email client etc, it is the flippin boss, but without apps, it will all go to hell (this is what has been holding android back as an OS), and that's basically what most of the credible reviews say (as I have always said), it's all about the apps. Yes, the appstore is filled without alot of waste apps, but it has so many quality apps to do just about anything you need an app to do. The Playbook needs the dev community behind it or it will have a rough ride, but something tells me the dev community will be liking the device enough to see its potential and develop apps for it.
    Blackberry has proven many times over that it's users are not app crazy,.. plus providing apps is a very easy band-aid fix.

People always think that it's the device with the most bells and whistles everybody will want, quite the opposite, only geeks want that, the majority of people just want something that looks good and works, and when they buy it the less tweaking they have to do the better,.. People flock to apples and berries because they work and work well, Droids and other devices appeal to geeks and tech heads who love to mess around with settings and whatnot,. so these devices will not appeal greatly to the average Joe. And that is one of the main reason android is failing.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by GPRS Internet View Post
    Blackberry has proven many times over that it's users are not app crazy,.. plus providing apps is a very easy band-aid fix.

People always think that it's the device with the most bells and whistles everybody will want, quite the opposite, only geeks want that, the majority of people just want something that looks good and works, and when they buy it the less tweaking they have to do the better,.. People flock to apples and berries because they work and work well, Droids and other devices appeal to geeks and tech heads who love to mess around with settings and whatnot,. so these devices will not appeal greatly to the average Joe. And that is one of the main reason android is failing.
    BB users aren't app crazy, because BB's suck at apps, not because they don't want apps or find them useful/necessary...BB users are addicted to BBM, thats about it. Take the same user and give them an iphone and they go app crazy.

Translating that to the tablet form factor and you will realise how important apps are. Remember tablets are supplemental devices, not primary so after you browse the web for a few minutes what's there to do? You play a few mp3's or fire up a podcast or 2, then what? The device gets boring pretty fast. The ipad's appeal (and apple's in general), is the apps. There an app for just about anything and more apps pile in every day. It gives the user something to do, a feeling of excitement and newness every few days to a week or so.

I say all this to say, without the apps, the playbook will bomb, and bomb pretty hard. They need quality apps too, not like the android type apps that are lame and don't look as polished as their Apple counterparts.

Hoping the devs jump on board as its a pretty solid device.
    Google Nexus 6P™

+1 for previous post.
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Quote Originally Posted by toyanucci View Post
    I say all this to say, without the apps, the playbook will bomb, and bomb pretty hard. They need quality apps too, not like the android type apps that are lame and don't look as polished as their Apple counterparts.

Hoping the devs jump on board as its a pretty solid device.
    The BB is used for BBM/Enterprise/Email/Security and Cheap Internet... That is what sells a blackberry and has been selling them for years .. So i say again, True BB users are not app crazy, the BB phone out the box offers all the things to keep it's users happy.

Apple/Droids total opposite, out the box they have no purpose other than being a phone,.. without apps they are nothing.

BTW: SEE THIS http://techjamaica.com/forums/showth...817#post692817
    Last edited by GPRS Internet; Apr 16, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

The BB is used for BBM/Enterprise/Email/Security and Cheap Internet... That is what sells a blackberry and has been selling them for years .. So i say again, True BB users are not app crazy, the BB phone out the box offers all the things to keep it's users happy.

Apple/Droids total opposite, out the box they have no purpose other than being a phone,.. without apps they are nothing.

BTW: SEE THIS http://techjamaica.com/forums/showth...817#post692817
    I saw that when it came out on Crackberry yesterday, but back to the point bro...I'm assuming you own a blackberry but you do use apps on your laptop/desktop no? The Playbook isn't a phone, it's not for doing bbm, so like your laptop/desktop, it will need applications to keep your attention.

You are making the very mistake RIM has been making. While they USED to be all about security and enterprise email etc, I can assure that the lion-share of their customers are NOT business or enterprise people. While they do need to appeal to their business cleints, they should not SOLELY appeal to them, it's nonsensical.

The Playbook is a new frontier for RIM and it gives them the opportunity to introduce themselves to a new set of consumers, they need to embrace them rather than trying to appeal solely to their base...You don't need to appeal to your diehard customers, they will be there no matter wtf you do, what you should be doing is expanding your base, an jus memba these words...apps, apps, apps!
    Google Nexus 6P™

On another note, RIM is shooting themselves in the foot by allowing the Playbook to run android apps. They are worried about the apps race and know they are severely lacking and are trying to up their numbers. But...for one, android apps suck for the most part (lololol) and for two, by doing this, they are limiting themselves. Instead of developers making apps natively for the Playbook, they will just focus on making android apps that can be ported, not utilizing the playbooks hardware and UI gestures etc as well strangling the growth of the Playbook development environment.

Very short sited RIM!
    Google Nexus 6P™

Apps = Band-Aid Fix, Band-Aid Fix, Band-Aid Fix

Playbook will get native apps man, don't worry, it will Come

Tablets are just small web browsers so once they do that well, they will hold a great majority of users..

I don't think Me or RIM is mistaken, it's simple, simplicity is key,. too much features can be a bad thing, it just over complicate things in allot of cases
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

Apps = Band-Aid Fix, Band-Aid Fix, Band-Aid Fix

Playbook will get native apps man, don't worry, it will Come

Tablets are just small web browsers so once they do that well, they will hold a great majority of users..

I don't think Me or RIM is mistaken, it's simple, simplicity is key,. too much features can be a bad thing, it just over complicate things in allot of cases
    The iPad doesn't do flash, yet with its bag of "band-aid fixes" it has garnered the clout to make content providers create and host html5 versions of their websites.

Do you own any apply devices? Let me rephrase that, do you own any iOS devices? I ask because your views on apps sounds like that of someone who doesn't have a personal experience with devices which provide them in abundance. As the owner of both iOS devices and RIM devices, I can comment on the importance of apps in something like the Playbook which is more akin to an iPad than it is to any other device made by RIM. iOS device users can chime in with just how frequently they download and go through apps...you have a few you keep and deem important and others you change weekly, well, just because...

In terms of simplicity, thats exactly what Apple used to garner so much attention and to get their devices into the hands of the masses, but one can't rely solely on simplicity...because what's more simple than a pencil and a piece of paper? Yet we strive for more entertaining ways to accomplish our daily tasks. The playbook OS is stellar, the UI, just as impressive, the browser...awesome! Battery life, more than ample...Cameras - the best in show...What's missing?! APPS!!! Email apps, video chat apps, gaming apps, productivity apps, heck - farting apps lolololol.

With apps, rim will have a homerun! I'm hoping they get their native apps (email and PIM apps etc they promise to make themselves) out sooner than the 60 days they have committed to, considering the market will NOT stand still to wait on them. Is a trillion tablets a come out in the next 2 months so they better get their excrement together lololol.

Hyperbole aside, they need to get to work and foster an environment which will lead to the Playbook's success rather than its demise.
    Last edited by toyanucci; Apr 16, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
    Google Nexus 6P™