Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: linux for dummies

Default Re: linux for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by megiddo
    i have a set of pdf's if anyone wants one. its about 100mb in all. but individually, bout 5mb each. if you have gmail i wouldnt have a prob emailing some fo them to you. or jus bring me a cd and i burn it.
    I have a gmail...gonna PM you the address and you send it ok....( finally i get to use more than 5mb in my gmail)

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    Sarcasm? I haven't slightest idea what you mean Sir Gillion?

come on, the guy needed genuine help and you wasted his time and us readers with a simple "yes" because we saw the new post and came to read it and saw your stupid response and you've been here long enough to know better. Atleast my sarcasm was a tad....even if its just a tad...more helpful than yours.

By the way Shane....my email address is on my profile and I too wouldn't mind this resource of yours. Thank YOU!

For anyone that seeks answers it is most important to ask the right questions than to pose mediocre ones.

Mediocred questions will at best generate mediocre answers,at worst,yeild none.

Asking the right question is a fine art that can only be mastered with patience and governed by humility.

--selah
    Gillion
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

ok i sent off pdf's to 3 peeps a while ago. anyone else?
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion

For anyone that seeks answers it is most important to ask the right questions than to pose mediocre ones.

Mediocred questions will at best generate mediocre answers,at worst,yeild none.

Asking the right question is a fine art that can only be mastered with patience and governed by humility.

--selah
    Gillion
    so why did u reply to the thread? , why didn't you just see it and moved along?

Quote Originally Posted by acidblade
    Exactly my point. Instead of being a leader, you chose to follow "mediocrity" hence you yourself are mediocre. imagine if everyone thought like. No innovation. not a trendsetter but a trend-follower!

Anyways acid.....you getting through and thing? Which software you hope to experiment with? icuucme supposed to hook me up with SuSe and I downloaded knoppix so i have those two for starters. Any suggestions?

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Too many of you come to the various linux/bsd forums and on irc with mediocre questions and expect to get helpful answers from people like me who you can consider mad cranky, arrogant, weird people.

Sooo many times over the years I have seen so many of you "n00bs" fail the simplest test of your mettle.

To reformat your thoughts and restate the questions you asked in a more explicit manner.

With your pride in the way so many of you fail to see that linux offers more than just a mere "alternative" computing tool.

It is a platform to create a true computer scientist.

One who endeavours to find out for herself first before asking by using the simplest tools avaiable... for example http://www.google.com

Linux, if you let it, is able to develop you mind in away that crosses all your disciplines.

A martial art if you please.

Something that you can take across to Windows, Solaris or MacOSX.

What you can learn is not just how to push/click buttons and type commands.

You will learn more about yourself, you will learn a little bit more about how the human mind and its thought process works.

You will learn more about self discipline and patience.

You will learn to research.

You will learn how to PROPERLY explain yourselves... because frankly some of post I have read on this site... well let me not get awya with that... the only excuse I usually get is "I am not good at writing"

The bottom line is that Linux can turn the right kind of stundent into one who knows how to ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS instead of mere drops in the vast pool of knowledge. A real computer scientist.

but I am old school.... my ideas are "NO POLITICALLY CORRECT"... and people like me are inosaurs who have to leave linux up to you guys the NEW generation.

Quote Originally Posted by acidblade
    because despite your assumptions that I am being a villian I am attempting to teach you something.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    Anyways acid.....you getting through and thing? Which software you hope to experiment with? icuucme supposed to hook me up with SuSe and I downloaded knoppix so i have those two for starters. Any suggestions?
    yea man but i'm not sure which one i'll be experimenting with as yet, respect megiddo & Jamrock

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    but I am old school.... my ideas are "NO POLITICALLY CORRECT"... and people like me are inosaurs who have to leave linux up to you guys the NEW generation.
    ok grandpa don't worry it's in good hands

what is the argument about, gillion's first reply to this thread fully answered
    the question the guy asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    Be prepared to read a lot.
    The truth is out there.
    Last edited by pogi_2nr; Mar 22, 2005 at 09:18 AM.