Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: linux for dummies

Question linux for dummies

hey ppl i want to give linux a try, is there a linux for dummies book or a book for ppl "just" starting out?

Default Re: linux for dummies

yes ....................
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Wow Gillion....really helpful.
    i'm in your shoes. PPL have offered help and copies. There are online tutorials. Just google them. Get a copy of the one being tested. get familiat with it then you can start experiment with other versions.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

shane200_ Guest

Send you a e-mail link and I can send you linux for dummies in a pdf form, I was in your spot which I am still in but google help and co-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    Wow Gillion....really helpful.
    i'm in your shoes. PPL have offered help and copies. There are online tutorials. Just google them. Get a copy of the one being tested. get familiat with it then you can start experiment with other versions.
    Do not cut sarcasm with me.....
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Arrow Re: linux for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Do not cut sarcasm with me.....
    Sarcasm? I haven't slightest idea what you mean Sir Gillion?

come on, the guy needed genuine help and you wasted his time and us readers with a simple "yes" because we saw the new post and came to read it and saw your stupid response and you've been here long enough to know better. Atleast my sarcasm was a tad....even if its just a tad...more helpful than yours.

By the way Shane....my email address is on my profile and I too wouldn't mind this resource of yours. Thank YOU!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    Sarcasm? I haven't slightest idea what you mean Sir Gillion?

come on, the guy needed genuine help and you wasted his time and us readers with a simple "yes" because we saw the new post and came to read it and saw your stupid response and you've been here long enough to know better. Atleast my sarcasm was a tad....even if its just a tad...more helpful than yours.

By the way Shane....my email address is on my profile and I too wouldn't mind this resource of yours. Thank YOU!
    i saw that somebody replied and came to look, only to see the crap and i couldn't bother reply to it.i could only jus hope that somebody who is here on techjamaica to help ppl would see it. respect shane

i have a set of pdf's if anyone wants one. its about 100mb in all. but individually, bout 5mb each. if you have gmail i wouldnt have a prob emailing some fo them to you. or jus bring me a cd and i burn it.
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

I have a couple ebooks myself, and a big redhat 9 bible. Well really the companies own but....

The documents that have been offered to you should help.

Your distro will also have documentation at its site.

See two examples below:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse.html

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/

Linux is a big topic. Get familiar with the installation first. Then learn how to do basic stuff like getting on the internet and burning/playing CD's. Afterwards you can tackle the big stuff like creating websites, sharing files on a network and setting up DNS or DHCP.

Be prepared to read a lot.