Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: linux for dummies

Default Re: linux for dummies

In the end... your point and mine have been proven.

(1) I am an arrogant jerk.
    (2) How to deal with arrogant jerks like me
    (3) How to ask complete questions.

I accept that I have been wrong in context... of the GREATER good.

But my selfish motives have been met.

I will curve my ways next time and I will take the advice that my method could have been better.

I deliberately gave an "unsatisfctory answer" than "annoyed" you and kin but it also showed that an incomplete question annoys us "oldies" it is not all about you newkids you know.

Anyway as long as you know why.... I am happy.

I am sure it will happen again...

But thanks to you I have concoted something really wicked for the next time that will more than annoy... it will drive my point home.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

/me runs and seeks protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    @ acidblade

If you need more help, JaLUG has tutorials and such. You can ask megiddo to share his experiences. I hear he a regular there and is benefitting greatly from it!
    ok thanks, i will check it out.

Well said Gillion. And he does drive some good points home. I'm a developer for a free forum software and I help out answering questions on the software. Been doing it for 4 years now. Sometimes people ask vague questions without doing one single research and it doesn't help in getting an accurate and quick response. They want others to do all the reasearch for them, even though they could find it on thier own with a few minutes of searching.

I have been also guilty of responding similar to how Gillion responsed to persons questions.

As has been said before:
    - Do some research before asking your questions. You can try searching the TechJamaica forums first. More than likely your questions have been asked and answered already. If no luck try doing a google. If still no luck, go ahead and make your post and be specific as possible with your question. Also helps us to know that you did some searching on your own.

Instead of telling Gillion what a jerk he is, learn from the guy. He is like a wise owl. You can see many of us have learnt from Mas Gillions ways. Myself included.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008