Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GeoHotz flees to South America

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I'm lost here, if he did something illegal how is it that a company suing him now falls in the realm of them bullies?
    Tech People always like to make it seem like companies dont have rights.

Small man versus Big man mentality.

The miss application of the popular story of "The Big picking on the weak."

The thing is...

If your throw a stone at Goliath head and miss... don't you expect to have Goliath retaliate ?

Why should Goliath ignore the stone you threw ?

Just because he is bigger than you ?

Goliath also has rights, that you yourself possess ... the right to defend yourself.

This is not bulling in anyway.

GeHotz woke up the dragon and now its burning him he is crying ?

Idiot !!!
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Gillion, sony doesnt make law. Those are their terms, not law. EULA is not necessarily legally binding.

Enforceability of EULAs in the United States

The enforceability of an EULA depends on several factors, one of them being the court in which the case is heard. Some courts that have addressed the validity of the shrinkwrap license agreements have found some EULAs to be invalid, characterizing them as contracts of adhesion, unconscionable, and/or unacceptable pursuant to the U.C.C. —see, for instance, Step-Saver Data Systems, Inc. v. Wyse Technology,[2] Vault Corp. v. Quaid Software Ltd..[3] Other courts have determined that the shrinkwrap license agreement is valid and enforceable: see ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg,[4] Microsoft v. Harmony Computers,[5] Novell v. Network Trade Center,[6] and Ariz. Cartridge Remanufacturers ***'n v. Lexmark Int'l, Inc.[7] may have some bearing as well. No court has ruled on the validity of EULAs generally; decisions are limited to particular provisions and terms.
    The 7th Circuit and 8th Circuit subscribe to the "licensed and not sold" argument, while most other circuits do not[citation needed]. In addition, the contracts' enforceability depends on whether the state has passed the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA) or Anti-UCITA (UCITA Bomb Shelter) laws. In Anti-UCITA states, the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) has been amended to either specifically define software as a good (thus making it fall under the UCC), or to disallow contracts which specify that the terms of contract are subject to the laws of a state that has passed UCITA.
    Recently, publishers have begun to encrypt their software packages to make it impossible for a user to install the software without either agreeing to the license agreement or violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and foreign counterparts.
    The DMCA specifically provides for reverse engineering of software for interoperability purposes, so there was some controversy as to whether software license agreement clauses which restrict this are enforceable. The 8th Circuit case of Davidson & Associates v. Jung[8] determined that such clauses are enforceable, following the Federal Circuit decision of Baystate v. Bowers.[9]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement

Sony could lose this case and end up making hacking consoles legal just as hacking phones was made legal (as opposed to a case by case evaluation). An EULA won't help them then at all. If you read the quote up top, you might see a reason for them to want the case in california. Maybe the court there is more favorable to grant them a win based on the EULA. Beyond that, he hasn't done anything illegal with something he bought. Its up to the judge to figure whether they protect the corporation or give users rights against epically one sided EULAs.

I doubt he is crying. What you don't get is the few hundred dollars a person invests in the hardware they bought and the fact that the company tried to dictate what you can do with that hardware even while they enjoy your money.

I guess you would be in support of something like this as well

Tell Your Lawmakers: Shut Down The New Debtors' Prisons

Americans are in more debt than ever before, and the banks are going to new extremes to squeeze us for every last penny: If you can't pay up, they'll try to get you locked up.

The Wall Street Journal has been investigating the disturbing resurgence of debtors' prisons throughout America -- here's one especially infuriating example of what the banks are up to: AIG got a $122.8 billion bailout from taxpayers. Jeffrey Stearns happened owed AIG $4,000 on a loan for his pickup truck. How'd the mega-corporation handle his debt? Did they forgive him because of the public's recent largess? No way: They had him arrested in front of his family.

After being handcuffed in front of his four children, Mr. Stearns, 29 years old, spent two nights in jail, where he said he was strip-searched and sprayed for lice. "I didn't even know I was being sued....It's the scariest thing that ever happened to me."

The Wall Street Journal's data reveals that across the country, banks are having tens of thousands of Americans arrested over their debts. What happened to Stearns could happen to almost anybody. Some state legislators are moving to outlaw the practice. Will you urge your lawmakers to join them?

PETITION TO MY STATE LEGISLATORS: The Wall Street Journal is reporting that banks across the country -- including those that got bailouts -- are getting Americans locked up for being unable to pay their debts. I urge you to investigate if and how that's happening here and take measures to end any debt arrests right away.
    i.e. what the banks are doing.

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/d...Ov7bs&rd=1&t=1
    Last edited by semitop; Mar 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

what?... he fled? thought he was in it for the long haul,,, guess not. well i guess he has more than enough money now to support himself. in my opinion he is a hero to we who accept and love jailbreaking our devices, though i think its stupid that he fled

well who knows, he might have had sumting else hiding that he didnt want them finding out about

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    Gillion, sony doesnt make law. Those are their terms, not law. EULA is not necessarily legally binding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_license_agreement

Sony could lose this case and end up making hacking consoles legal just as hacking phones was made legal (as opposed to a case by case evaluation). An EULA won't help them then at all. If you read the quote up top, you might see a reason for them to want the case in california. Maybe the court there is more favorable to grant them a win based on the EULA. Beyond that, he hasn't done anything illegal with something he bought. Its up to the judge to figure whether they protect the corporation or give users rights against epically one sided EULAs.

I doubt he is crying. What you don't get is the few hundred dollars a person invests in the hardware they bought and the fact that the company tried to dictate what you can do with that hardware even while they enjoy your money.

I guess you would be in support of something like this as well

i.e. what the banks are doing.

http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/d...Ov7bs&rd=1&t=1
    Valid points... valid points.

The banks... well... they are a typical case of the Parable that Jesus told Milena ago.

However, Sony has the right to protect itself when it feels threatened and thus they will bring the law against GeoHotz and present as much argument for his prosecution.

GeoHotz ran afoul of Sony... and broke into their system... why ?
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

it appears that hotz never fled to South America and is in the lawsuit to the very end http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...-sony-lawsuit/

i dont know chig....which one is it?
    Once there is life there is hope to acheive anything.

This lawsuit has been settled. The left over money that GoeHot got from donations was redonated to charity ($10,000).