Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Shrink A-OS for BlackBerry

Default How To Shrink A-OS for BlackBerry

For all those who wanna experiment. It's worth it trust me. For my this scenario, this was done a a Windows 7 machine. Same thing applies for Windows XP, just bear one thing in mind. For Windows XP you will use the Program Files Folder, while for Windows 7 you will be using the Program Files(x86) folder.

Also note that for this scenario I simply uninstalled OS:6.0.0.461, then reinstalled the same OS. Just to show newbies how to uninstall and install the BlackBerry Device Software.

Simple Step-by-Step Guide on How to use Shrink-A-OS (Windows Only, Not Mac Compatible)

1. Prior to device OS installation, back up phone data using Desktop Manager or Blackberry Swiss Army Knife

2. On your PC go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall all old and unwanted versions of “Blackberry Device Software” aka device OS software from your PC. In the following Screen shot, I am uninstalling OS 9700AllLang_v6.0.0.461_P6.6.0.137

3. Even though you just uninstalled the software from your PC, sometimes the OS folder and files are not really removed. To check for this, on your PC go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files folder and check to see if it is empty. Delete any remaining OS folder (Before installing the new OS software on your PC then the Loader Files folder should be empty). In the following screen shot I am deleting OS 9700AllLang_v6.0.0.461_P6.6.0.137 from my Loader Files folder.

4. Locate on online a download link for the "executable" file for your desired OS. Download and run this file to install the OS on your PC. (Shrink-A-OS will not work if you try to use Blackberry's Desktop Manager).

5. Download latest version of Shrink-A-OS to your PC and copy the Shrink-A-OS file (Link to Shrink-A-OS: http://www.theiexplorers.com/bb/Shrink-A-OS.exe).

6. Paste the Shrink-A-OS.exe file in the OS folder located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS Folder (ie 9700AllLang_v6.0.0.461_P6.6.0.137) Do not paste it into the Java or CDMA subfolders. In the following screen shot, Shrink-A-OS.exe has been pasted into the OS folder, 9700AllLang_v6.0.0.461_P6.6.0.137

7. Right Click Shrink-A-OS.exe file in the OS folder and select “Run as Administrator”

8. Check the box that says the “Shrink-A-OS is in my Current OS folder (not in JAVA or CDMS/GPRS/UMTS)”

9. Check the boxes of the items you want removed from your OS. In the following screen shot, I have selected the items I want to remove from the OS.

10. Click the “Shrink My OS” button.
    Last edited by Cultus; Feb 19, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

In the following screen shot you can see my Shrink results of 162.45 MB before shrinking. Now click the ok button to see the results after the shrink.

Now you see my shrink results of 89.34 MB. Wonderful I have just removed 73.11 MB of un-necessary data from my OS.

11. Click the ok button to complete the Shrink Process, then close the Shrink-A-OS application. Now you can connect your device to your PC using the USB cable

12. On your PC go to C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader Folder

13. In the AppLoader folder, locate and delete the Vendor.xml file (if this file is missing skip this step)

14. In the AppLoader folder, select the Loader.exe file to install your newly “Shrinked” OS to your phone.

I HOPE THIS HELPED....
    Last edited by Cultus; Feb 19, 2011 at 08:50 AM.

WilBro Guest

Great post Cultus, I first found out about this Wednesday evening and did it, worked perfectly, I was planning on posting the steps today but you beat me to it, thanks for freeing up my time

thanks for this detailed information
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

kool, method looks the same as if i were installing a Hybrid OS
    CONTACT INFO : CALL/TXT/WHATS-APP >>> 1 (876) 856 2013

Respect for taking the time out to go through this in detail

What are these results from doing this, just speed?
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

Extra memory space would be the more important result.

Question though cultus. I followed your instructions but it would seem I went somewhere wrong. Because at current my phone starts up and then after a few minutes screen goes white and I get a app error message and I'm forced to restart.

For a rundown of what I did.

1) Backed up 3rd party apps with BBSAK
    2) Backed up data wid Blackberry desktop manager
    3) Followed the instructions you gave above (actually only removed what you removed as well)
    4) restored data

any ideas?
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    Extra memory space would be the more important result.

Question though cultus. I followed your instructions but it would seem I went somewhere wrong. Because at current my phone starts up and then after a few minutes screen goes white and I get a app error message and I'm forced to restart.

For a rundown of what I did.

1) Backed up 3rd party apps with BBSAK
    2) Backed up data wid Blackberry desktop manager
    3) Followed the instructions you gave above (actually only removed what you removed as well)
    4) restored data

any ideas?
    You have a branded BB (tmobile at&t)? My only guess is that maybe you are removing something that the device is trying to load.
    My suggestion is try doing it in phases. Remove the games, and the default videos shrink it, load it and see if you get the app error message. Try isolation. Try removing the languages last. Also note that I didn't check the remove all button for the languages. I manually checked the ones I want remove.

Excellent Post. Very detailed. I'm loving all the information!
    Ricardo Barrett
    Jesus+Education=Success
    BBM ME @ 7A70FCE3
    Whatsapp 1(876) 783-8991