Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what certs do you have?

I haven't been on this forum in ages but certs I currently have are: MCP, MCAD, MCPD: Web Developer and MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications.
    Time wasted is existence, time used is life--M.J
    www.misamjo.com

What kind of job do you do? Are you located in Jamaica or overseas?
    Last edited by jamrock; Jun 2, 2011 at 06:12 AM.

My job title is Software Analyst which is just another term for Software Developer based on what I actually do at my job. I'm in Jamaica.
    www.misamjo.com

Cool.

Do you work for a software development company or do you work in the I.T. department of your company?

It is a bit unusual to see someone certified in .Net Framework 2.0 and Microsoft development tools. Most of the developers I meet got trained at UTECH or U.W.I. and do development work for the company where they work.

What made you choose this path?

No I wouldn't classify the company I work for as a software development company since we don't create software for commercial or sales purposes but we do develop alot of applications to streamline business processes in the company internally. Its an international company with many subsidiaries and a myriad of clients. My company specializes in accounts receivables for many organizations in many sectors primarily within the US.

I wasn't trained at UWI or Utech. I got my training primarily from the love and motivation I have for programming, and at Exed with a few microsoft classes overseas. I don't quite understand which path you are referring to. But I love what I do.
    www.misamjo.com

Quote Originally Posted by vexvixen View Post
    Its an international company with many subsidiaries and a myriad of clients. My company specializes in accounts receivables for many organizations in many sectors primarily within the US.
    It all makes sense now. Based on your certs I had figured you would work in a software development firm overseas or in a company in the Montego Bay freezone. Your profile is similar to those of some of the people I have met in the Montego Bay freezone.

Quote Originally Posted by vexvixen View Post
    I wasn't trained at UWI or Utech. I got my training primarily from the love and motivation I have for programming, and at Exed with a few microsoft classes overseas. I don't quite understand which path you are referring to. But I love what I do.
    I understand. Most developers who attend UTECH or UWI get trained in a wide variety of platforms. You have specialized heavily in the Microsoft stack of technologies. Does your company work a lot with VBA and SQL Server?

There is nothing wrong with your certs or background. That is not what I mean. I was just curious as to how you ended up so deep in Microsoft programming.

I sometimes have to work with companies that develop business applications running on SQL Server. Your certs sounded like the kind of qualifications that one of these developers would have.

I have not met many people with that background in Jamaica. That's all.

Thanks for clarifying your comments. In answer to your question, my company "claims" to be technology-agnostic, there are many projects done using other technologies, we evaluate each on a project by project basis based on the resources we have. I get much of the Microsoft projects with some Java ones now and then. In terms of VBA, I honestly can't say if the company does use that to enhance office applications. There are many teams in the company so its possible that they may or may not use it. I have used VBA in the past though. In terms of SQL Server we work with that constantly. We use SSIS, SSAS and SSRS for much of our business intelligence apps, reporting apps etc. And by the way, I'm not in Montego Bay. I'm closer to Kingston but in a freezone nonetheless.
    www.misamjo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evokillah View Post
    Did all 3 for CCNP and passed (642-813/832/902)... The excerpt below was taken from cisco's website under the Training and Events menu

I didnt want to go the CCIE route because design encompasses more of where I want to go in the industry..
    CCDE is a very challenging exam...Focuses on design and your ability to analyze situations and how decisions affect this.

I have did the beta from Networkers 2008, very diffucult. Now Im back on the track will be doing the written next month.

Hopefully company will sponsor the $2000 for bootcamp and $1600 for exam they I will sit lab april 2012.

Here is my booklist/study material so far:
    Optimal Routing Design
    by Russ White; Don Slice; Alvaro Retana

Definitive MPLS Network Designs
    by Jim Guichard; François Le Faucheur; Jean-Philippe Vasseur

Comparing, Designing, and Deploying VPNs
    by Mark Lewis, - CCIE No. 6280

End-to-End QoS Network Design
    by Tim Szigeti - CCIE No. 9794; Christina Hattingh
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

shane200_ Guest

I don't have much still building on what I don't have
    LPI, CCNP, CISSP, MCDBA, MCSE and CCNA Sec.

fo real though....lol glad that there is someone else on the CCDE path. just got through with avaya. focusing on CCNP Switch currently. To clarify as it relates to CCDE yes there are perequisites actually. Cisco is sneaky you can take the exam
    but until you fulfil the requirements your still not certified even if you pass. Not nice huh.

here is the link for details

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...type_home.html

My apologies that statement is incorrect and only applies to CCDP as it relates to any Expert level exam....THERE ARE NO FORMAL REQUIREMENTS...but come on as a potential employer wouldnt it be funny if you saw a resume....and the person had no history in DESIGN...no CCDA..CCDP...no experience and just CCIE. its like seeing only the masters on a resume but u didnt do a first degree.
    Last edited by druhan; Sep 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Knowledge is just wasted time if not put to action
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Network +, A+, CCNA, CCDA, CXFS, Avaya (ACIS), MCP ...next stop CCNP,MCSE, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, VCP