Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google is Hoping Nokia likes Android

Apple is in the enviable position simply because they control both HW and SW. Same reason Nokia is #1, the rest will just have to grab what they can when they can. Imagine if Android hadn't come along, Motorola might have had to lock shop. Thats a sad situation. Market leaders don't leave alot to chance.

Going android would basically put Nokia in a very vulnerable position, esp if Android should fizzle out.

Another good reason why they wont go android, is CHOICE, it would be a sad day when your only options were Droid, iOS, BBOS. LOL

Next you gonna hear that Apple thinking about going android. NOT!
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    Here's one, generally these apps will be installable on windows, I think VLC is also a Qt app (well just the skin)

The Ovi thing is for devs who need to make cash and users who like the simplicity of an app store. I hope it doesn't become a restriction tho.

Edit: Confirmed, VLC is actually a Qt app, most ppl are already using Qt apps extensively.

Thats why I say if the Qt strategy works no one will remember app stores, since even windows and Mac apps will be written in Qt for instant Cross Platform compatibly.

Currently Android/iOS/BBOS might not have a Qt platform port like they do for java and java apps, but in time they all will esp if nokia executes correctly.

devs will only need to code once and apps will compile and run natively at each platforms highest performance (or close enough once the platform has been optimized to run Qt apps.

So no more app store here and there, just download an app and use.
    There is a QT port for android being worked on as we speak, unofficial though.

Quote Originally Posted by dehyah View Post
    This year will be a turning point for Nokia.Under 3 months they sold 4 million N8's after improving the browser and UI, it is going to be a top seller.I wonder, if they are going to coincide the improvements of the N8,C6 and 7 with the release of a another Killa E7.Meego should be showing its face sometime this year-are you fretting android?
    I am hoping to get the much improved 2nd generation of Symbian^3 .

http://stevelitchfield.com/sshow/ss128.html
    http://stevelitchfield.com/sshow/ss127.html
    Yes the N8 is a resounding success, the fastest selling nokia smartphone ever(quite spectacular when you consider that it is a high end device) and the second fastest selling phone of the last few months(my estimates) behind the iPhone).

This year is going to be a great year for them and I am just awaiting the Q4 results because I am expecting record profits as well.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Nokia not going Android because there is no way to make money selling Android phones in the long run. Android is great for Google and the consumer for it essentially turns smart phones into commodities. As is the case now there will be little differentiation but between hundreds of models where the only true competition will be on price this is not the best business model for manufacturers. Nokia has essentially said this as the main reason they don't want to touch Android. Motorola, SE, Samsung are in for a surprise when more home land chinese manufactures start exporting phones Huawei has given us a taste with $99 contract free Android phones this christmas. Androids problem for the Iphone is that no matter how good the Iphone is or becomes there will be Android handsets that are almost as good for little to no money.
    Imac, Ipad2 3g 64gb & 32gb ATV, Iphone 4s Lime Iphone 5 Sprint, Mac Mini Driving 3 23" Toshiba leds

Apple is in the enviable position simply because they control both HW and SW. Same reason Nokia is #1, the rest will just have to grab what they can when they can. Imagine if Android hadn't come along, Motorola might have had to lock shop. Thats a sad situation. Market leaders don't leave alot to chance.

Going android would basically put Nokia in a very vulnerable position, esp if Android should fizzle out.

Another good reason why they wont go android, is CHOICE, it would be a sad day when your only options were Droid, iOS, BBOS. LOL

Next you gonna hear that Apple thinking about going android. NOT!
    They would have to dump the whole of ovi; Ovi maps, Ovistore, Ovi contacts,Ovi whatnot... it would mean hundreds of millions in R&D going down the drain just to build phones with 4.5 inch screens, 1.5ghz snap fire dragon and 2Gb ram in order to try and get people to know the difference between your product and the several other androids out there.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    They would have to dump the whole of ovi; Ovi maps, Ovistore, Ovi contacts,Ovi whatnot... it would mean hundreds of millions in R&D going down the drain just to build phones with 4.5 inch screens, 1.5ghz snap fire dragon and 2Gb ram in order to try and get people to know the difference between your product and the several other androids out there.
    As I said before, android is for the bottom feeders, BB,Apple, Nokia wont ever go android simply because they like to control their own destiny.

All who have gone android could not have survived without doing so.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev View Post
    Nokia not going Android because there is no way to make money selling Android phones in the long run. Android is great for Google and the consumer for it essentially turns smart phones into commodities. As is the case now there will be little differentiation but between hundreds of models where the only true competition will be on price this is not the best business model for manufacturers. Nokia has essentially said this as the main reason they don't want to touch Android. Motorola, SE, Samsung are in for a surprise when more home land chinese manufactures start exporting phones Huawei has given us a taste with $99 contract free Android phones this christmas. Androids problem for the Iphone is that no matter how good the Iphone is or becomes there will be Android handsets that are almost as good for little to no money.
    Did anyone read this crap?
    SLAPPA Phenom II AM3 Overclocking Essentials
    I HAVE HIGHEST OC ON TECHJA 4.2ghz
    4890oc beats gtx 285
    PS3 FAILCAKE
    ps3 only advantage is bluray
    4890 oc roundup
    http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/skugpezz.png
    Mi know dem fear mi!!!!! Gigabyte 790x ud4p
    phenom 2 955@3.8ghz 24/7 stable , 4GB ddr3 1333@1.5ghz ,3850 256MB (temp card) (4890 soon),700 watt dual rail psu, (overclocking rules) my avatar represents my personality

As I said before, android is for the bottom feeders, BB,Apple, Nokia wont ever go android simply because they like to control their own destiny.

All who have gone android could not have survived without doing so.
    Moto would be dead
    SE would be on the verge of dying
    Samsung hardly ever existed anyway in the smartphone arena

Anybody remember sendo?

You guys forgetting HTC - those guys have been on the front end of smartphone market since their creation (and have ALWAYS been considered an ostentatious brand since the release of the TYTN) they are the #1 pushers of android now so that statement about it being for the "bottom feeders" is null and void.

HTC will never die !!

SE would not have died - tey would have to resort to windows like what they had to do for the Xperia X1 which was quite good IMO. they prob would suffer alot though if they went windows though so it would have been only a matter of time..

motorolla and samsung would still be windows exclusive (and still dying) and with the release of win7 they would revamp and make phones to that end.. either way, im sure alot of people are thanking android for coming along to save their dying company and bringing them in a new era where their phones are better than market titans like RIM
    Last edited by vylle; Jan 9, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by vylle View Post
    You guys forgetting HTC - those guys have been on the front end of smartphone market since their creation and they are the #1 pushers of android now so that statement about it being for the "bottom feeders" is null and void.

HTC will never die !!

SE would not have died - tey would have to resort to windows like what they had to do for the Xperia X1 which was quite good IMO. they prob

motorolla and samsung would still be windows exclusive (and still dying) and with the release of win7 they would revamp and make phones to that end.. either way, im sure alot of people are thanking android for coming along to save their dying company and bringing them in a new era where their phones are better than market titans like RIM
    You are wrong.

1. SE was on the verge of breakup before going onto android, they were barely clinging to life and experiencing lost every quarter in the millions.

2. Motorolla and samsung were never windows exclusive. Samsung, and later on motorolla, had invested in symbian and was actively using them in their products(samsung i8910, i8510, motorolla z10). Samsung used the s60 ui while motorolla used SE UIQ Ui and app layer.

Many people never knew HTC until a couple years back because they were making mobiles for networks as contractors and so did not have a brand name. So HTC have been there a long time and it's glad to see them pick up with android, I hate their phone's build quality though, the internals are thrown about like they dont expect that you might get a 3rd party to repair it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by kalel17 View Post
    You are wrong.

Many people never knew HTC until a couple years back because they were making mobiles for networks as contractors and so did not have a brand name. So HTC have been there a long time and it's glad to see them pick up with android, I hate their phone's build quality though, the internals are thrown about like they dont expect that you might get a 3rd party to repair it one day.
    HTC never really need android cuz they were using winmo to their fullest - actually, u have it the OTHER way around!! Google needed HTC to make test devices for their Operating system.
    Last edited by vylle; Jan 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter