Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Cost of Ownership less for Linux

Default Re: Total Cost of Ownership less for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonflight
    My thesis is best proven by choosing an environment and comparing.

my plan is to:
    1. develop profiles of typical IT usage in various organizations
    2. identify the required applications for a windows roll out and the equivalent linux roll out
    3. compare aquisition cost, training cost, customization costs

My thesis will either fall on its face or stand.

I'm in phase 1 now. But I'm pretty confident about the truth of my statement.
    if i would try that i would KISS (keep it short and simple). There are a lot of studies out there which tried to answer the question what`s cheaper. One thing i learned of all of them is that the vary the parameters to get the result you wanted to ,but if it`s getting too complex it`s very difficult to compare them with your needs.

Could you define 3-5 categories of customers, you are trying to attend (How many employees and what jobs most of them do - secretaries, sales etc. will have other needs than developers)?

For me i would define 3 categories for example.

less than 100 Employees
    100-1000 Employees
    more than 1000 Employees.

jus my 2ct

greets M0ses
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Home

@ SQLDBA:

I only post that as an example. I would obviously hope he would use it as a guide/template since he said he needed examples or something similar.

Maybe I misread his cry for help and he meant something else. Other than that, I am sure it can be of some benefit to him -- or I hope so.:-)

The Number of employees is only a single factor in determining TCO,i am of the opinion that every business is unique and not all businesses will find Linux to have less TCO.

Look at This ,The best Small to Mid Size ERP solution is Micrsosoft AXAPTA,most ERP's cost more than your hardware ,System Software such as Web servers,OS's and Office Productivity Tools combined,remember Linux s an OS.

Now Axapta Runs on Windows,would switching to LINUX make sense ?
    Conclusion:Core Apps and Their Platforms Need to be considered.

Linux Admins are More Expensive han windows admins labour cost is a running cost.

Expertise:Who in Company X knows Linux ?,Retraining Cost and Staff Learning Curve.

ROI:What tools on Linux will give company X a greater ROI than windows ?,
    Oracle aside linux cannot compete with Windows in terms or RDBMS,MYSQL is not enterprise ready.

The More Apps you have on Windows especially ERP type and Bespoke Systems Running on Windows the more impractical a switch to linux becomes.
    Why:Less ERP support and System Rewrites Expensive.

The Topic Is So Complex that,of tackled well and in a crctical fashion could be usedasn an IS masters thesis.

Linux has controllable TCO-

Distribution-Free or Cheap

Support-Linux Support is Expensive,you can do without though.

Management Tools(Web Servers,Network Management Tools)-Commercial Tools available or Free Tools,issue how do these tools compared to each other and those on Windows.

DSS Software-ERP's available choices are FEW,Support Not As mAture Yet as Unix and Windows Implementations.

Productivity Software-Open Office Free,Issue Do users need VBA style Macros ?Do Partner Firms Use Open Office ?

Inhouse System Dev:Java ,websphere Not Free,Free Tools available but what RDBMS can they connect to,Development Times will be longer and More Complex than Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by SQLDBA
    ROI:What tools on Linux will give company X a greater ROI than windows ?,
    Oracle aside linux cannot compete with Windows in terms or RDBMS,MYSQL is not enterprise ready.

DB2 Does run on Linux natively.....MS SQL may be good, but I would bet it's not the best.

Oracle is the Most Powerful RDBMS but Ms-SQL is Second check the TPC numbers and even though people say IIS is Crap,The TOP Websites Run on IIS and MS SQL server.

Price to Performance Wise which by the way i think is another way of compromising quality MS SQL server Will win.

lol, of course SQLDBA is the wrench in the well oiled cogs that is linux.

Not A wrench,The Voice of reason bredda,Linux Free in a way so you can never discount it or Kill it,They are large Firms still running apps on NET and Free BSD.

Free and getting better everyday.

So, what might be true today might not be tomorrow -- in both respects, incidentally.

GO LINUX!

The argument of TCO and RIO of OpenSource(Linux) as Opposed to Windows IMHO will always come down to the individual company...

Looking at the broad issue there will always be strong arugments for Opensource in some circumstances, on the other hand situations might warrant using Windows based solutions...

It all comes down to The individual Company and thier Operating Environment, Current and Future Business requirements and existing IT Solutions...
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)