Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Distro on CD - Free

Thanks a lot for the link. I wonder why SuSe or Mandrake or Red Hat in the form of Fedora dont do this
    私は退屈し, どの考えをも何私の署名として置くために 有しない
    Ignore whatever I post in RED

Ubuntu is a disruptive innovator in the distro ecosystem. Whereas SUSE and RedHat can't afford to do this, since they have a name and they have a different business model, Canonical, Ubuntu's parent company, can't afford not to.

You'll note that Ubuntu claims that even their enterprise version will ship free. Who ships an enterprise version free!!! <clue>the version they ship IS the enterprise version, they are one and the same</clue>
    Zope, Linux, Web, Intranet
    www.plone.org

anyone got their hedgehog cd's yet? i havent received mine
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Thanks a lot for the link. I wonder why SuSe or Mandrake or Red Hat in the form of Fedora dont do this
    Because it costs a lot of money to do this. The typical company cannot afford to do it. How much do you think it costs to be giving away free cd's and shipping them to all parts of the world? Millions of dollars I would think.

Not to mash any corns but couldn't most if not all of you get the distro by simply downloading? I'm just asking. I was about to download Kubunto (Ubunto with the K desktop) and found that my boss had already done so. He had also downloaded the latest Ubunto.

Ordering a copy was never considered because we were more than capable of pulling it down in a couple of hours. Not only does that cut down the wait by a tens of thousands of percentage points, but it also leaves this valuable resource (that of free shipping) for those that actually need it. I wouldn't want them to have to stop this service one day because of the overwhelming demand, when this demand is being made by people who didn't really need to.
    -I didn't spel chek.
    The stuff I do

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CKnight
    Not to mash any corns but couldn't most if not all of you get the distro by simply downloading? I'm just asking. I was about to download Kubunto (Ubunto with the K desktop) and found that my boss had already done so. He had also downloaded the latest Ubunto.

Ordering a copy was never considered because we were more than capable of pulling it down in a couple of hours. Not only does that cut down the wait by a tens of thousands of percentage points, but it also leaves this valuable resource (that of free shipping) for those that actually need it. I wouldn't want them to have to stop this service one day because of the overwhelming demand, when this demand is being made by people who didn't really need to.
    U make this statement as if you expect everyone to have access to DSL or Cable connections. Am I to believe that most of you 'techies' who are advocates of the Nix movement are so "blessed" as to have DSL and Cable Internet at your disposal at home? Plus, we all don't work or let alone work in businesses that have broadband Internet access.
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Yah @ Technoboy......so has anyone received theirs? I've beginning to feel very uncomfortable now about giving my address to them.....

*worried*

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

actually since i gave them my address i have received 2 spam mail in my po box. they are the only people i have given my address to, so it make me worry
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Aw crap...now they have my address in some damn database......
    Crap...crap crap crap crap crap!!!!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by technoboy
    U make this statement as if you expect everyone to have access to DSL or Cable connections. Am I to believe that most of you 'techies' who are advocates of the Nix movement are so "blessed" as to have DSL and Cable Internet at your disposal at home? Plus, we all don't work or let alone work in businesses that have broadband Internet access.
    Unfortunately having an internet connect will make linux easier. I remeber when i first tried linux (Mandrake), I was really frustrated because it was hard to get things done due to limited documentation. I use to run back and fourth to UTECH LAB to look up docs on the net on how to install a software or troubleshoot a problem. Not to discourgae you or anything but when using linux the internet will make a big difference.

[offtopic]
    btw --- this is my four time reinstall FreeBSD I typed /home /Home in my /etc/fstab configuration file. After that nothing mounted and all attempts to edit the file failed.
    Oh Well it not as if I'm complaining, I get to setup the installation the way i really want it. Plus I'm taking in tons of knowledge on FreeBSD.
    [/offtopic]