Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Oracle8i personal edition

Exclamation Problem with Oracle8i personal edition

when im trying to install i get this error message "invalid staging area. there are no top level components for windows nt available for install from this staging area". whats causing the probs???
    John 3:16

Default Re: Problem with Oracle8i personal edition

ok hear what i have xp at home, i use 98 at work and it installed on it, does this program have conflicts with xp??? im wondering if i set my computer as being on a network it will work. well if anyone can tell me whats the problem it would be appreciated.

First Thing Windows XP is not certified by oracle,Staing area refers to your Virtual memory set it to three times your ram and You should be fine.

This suggestion Should Work also.

Copy The oracle CD to your hard drive and serch for two files named Symcjit.dll ,find both files and rename them and then execute setup.exe
    from the hard drive

Windows XP IS ceritified by Oracle - 9i/10g. It seems as if the version you are trying to install is not campatible with XP. Oracle 8i Personal Edition is not certified for Windows XP. You can get Oracle 8i Standard/Enterprise Edition Release 2 or Release 3 to work.
    OS X/Ubuntu

thanks very much later ill try again.

that wont work i had the same prob...if you go to oracle website it says that oracle8i personal edition might not work with win xp.. you have to download the latest version The name has been changed I dont remember what its called now but you have to register and then download it and u'll be good or you can do what I did and just go with MySQL or PostGre SQL.

Are yu by any chance planning to use it for DBase Management Systems course (UWI) ??
    IT Consultant

i have dial up at home so downloading oracle for me is out of it. yes im using it for a DBMS course but not UWI. WIZ where could i get the MYSQL. downloading is not an option unless i get access to a adsl/t1.

@Wiz btw .... do u attend UWI .....

I am learning how to use Oracle .... installed it t school, but the thing ate up the RAM like it was nothing.... used up about 280MB of memory ... nasty .. it froze the computer .... took me about half an hour before i got to shut down the Oracle service .... the only option i had was to set up a dedicated server for it ....
    but the point is, i would like to put it on my home computer, but with the default settings it would not be able to run on my computer at all, or if it could, no other app would be able to run ...

what i would like to know is if there is any way i can reduce the amount of memory used by Oracle ... or i have to live with it ...

Yes you can reduce the amount of memory oracle uses. Please read throught the installation documentation. It tells you the minimum requirements for each version. Also remember that a lot of options will come with the database that you do not need - the default installation will install these option. If you are new to oracle which I assume you are then stick with the default settings. After the database is created you can change the settings in the init.ora file. This file sets the startup option such as the Shared Global Area (SGA) which is the main memory pool the database uses. You can change the default values here to smaller ones. You can also choose these settings during installtion of the database.

I have Oracle 9i installed at home on Windows XP with 128MB of shared RAM. It's not the fastest but it runs pretty well. I have copies of Oracle 8i/9i if you are interested as well. MySQL is also a good database to learn on as well. And since it doesn't have all those options like Oracle you can get it up and running in no time.
    OS X/Ubuntu