Thread: The Death of the Hard Drive

Default The Death of the Hard Drive

Stop worrying about when the hard drive in your computer will die. Google wants to kill it permanently anyway.

The new Google Chrome operating system, which was unveiled Tuesday, as well as hints and suggestions from Apple and Microsoft, offers us a preview of the PC of the future. And it will come without that familiar whirring disk that has been the data heart of the PC for the past 25 years.

The Chrome OS will at first be available on all-black laptops from Samsung and Acer. And because the new platform stores everything -- files, applications, data bits and bytes, literally everything -- on online servers rather than on your home or office PC, those new PCs running it won't require gobs of storage. In fact, they won't require any storage at all.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...google-chrome/
    Last edited by dwightmckie; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

So i'm guessing chrome os is going to come as a drive itself then? What about oline transfer rates.. What about them they still use hard drives.. I'd vote keep the hdd for now or upgrade to ssd. When everyone has d/l : 100Mbits u/l: 50Mbits or higher then nuh problem.

i dont want everything stored online...wont work
    Isn't it a marvelous thing? The mystery of the mind?
    Dear Mr Obama..could you please bail out caribyard.com ?
    Athlon 64x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-M590SLI-S4 Mobo, HD 4870 512MB Graphix, 4gigs OCZ DDR2 800 RAM, Acer 22" WideScreen.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyRudy View Post
    What about oline transfer rates.. What about them they still use hard drives.. I'd vote keep the hdd for now or upgrade to ssd. When everyone has d/l : 100Mbits u/l: 50Mbits or higher then nuh problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    i dont want everything stored online...wont work
    My sentiments exactly

and that would mean they aren't catering for the entire public because 100% of pc users dont have internet access

Would be like trying to play an online game without internet access

I don't trust them with my emails, definately won't trust them whole heartedly with the contents of my pc. Guess I'll be using chromium as an exploratory experience only until cloud storage becomes the standard. Then it'll be inevitable I guess.
    ShadowWolfe, signing off *salute*
    /user has permanently disconnected from the Animus.

its a good idea but they should make it optional thought that would b the best thing to do
    One plus one-CM11H44s

Not to mention hackers..

information literally would not belong to no one person again. no matter how safe they say this thing is i would prefer to use and old 10Gb HDD.

what if you dont have internet connection? well i guess i wasn't designed with everyone in mind
    this is one of the worst ideas a I've heard in a good while, in fact google should spend their money on other projects.
    knowledge is not limited to one persons point of view as a result learning take place, also confrontations
    Digicel
    The Bigger, Better, Network.

Confucius say.. man who smoke pot, choke on handle.
    Confucius say.. man who raise hands to angry child, leave groin exposed.
    Confucius say.. man who pull woman's bra strap, may get bust in face.
    Confucius say.. man who put face in punchbowl, get punch in nose.
    Confucius say.. foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.