Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MSN Messenger Virus: BEWARE

Default MSN messenger Virus?

Ok... I have a lot (whole heap) of persons in my messenger list. Since this morning I have noted that several of you have tried to send me a file. The only problem is the file is a short-cut.

Not wanting a short-cut I opted not to accept the short-cut and ask that you send me the real file rather than the short cut. Yet there is no reply from any of the users.

This has happen several times from morning. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    Free Thinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, beliefs for privileges. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking; where it is absent, discussion is apt to become worse than useless.

Default MSN Messenger Virus: BEWARE

Hi Guys,
    I dont know if any of you have experienced it, but there's a new virus going around through MSN Messenger.

How it starts:
    Your closest friend might send you an MS-DOS looking file (a shortcut) with the file name "Topless in Mini Skirt! lol.pif". DO NOT ACCEPT IT!

It sends this file to all your contacts and creates "hidden" copies in your OS installation root.

If you accept it by mistake, turn on hidden file viewing, go to your installation root (most likely C in My Computer, sort by modified date, and delete all hidden files that you dont know about created most recently.

Looking for an article, but nothing yet on the web about this.

Default Re: MSN messenger Virus?

Is that why you blocked me by any chance....I'm jus kiddin.....but out of curiosity...did you get any files transfer requests from me....just wanna make sure that I am not emitting virii and not aware of it..
    To Know, Dare, Will and Keep Silent.

Default Re: MSN messenger Virus?

I got quite a few of these as well. Some of the machines in the office were infected. Its not very dangerous though, i.e. no destruction of files.
    Roaming Donkey - Roaming Donkey: The easiest way to find somewhere to eat, play or stay in Jamaica.

Default Re: MSN Messenger Virus: BEWARE

Yup, just encountered it a few minutes ago. Chatting with someone then they appeared to be "away" and then an invitation to download a file named "my holiday pictures.pif" or something like that. Of course I declined the invitation.

ps. I'm running MSN ver. 6.2.0205
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

This virus has been out for about a month or so now. The most it did was shutdown messenger after a series of hay-wire effects. Went into task manager then removed all weird named processed then voila....back on messenger!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

This is driving me up a wall, left my pc, came back to c a million messages, all asking me to accept a file. I have blocked about 20+ people because of this. Cant believe people would accept a file they know nothing about, espeicially a pif.
    Last edited by MiTcHiE; Mar 7, 2005 at 01:23 PM.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

i haven't been on messenger for a while so this is all news to me, thanks for the heads up
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...d_1024_768.jpg

releasing restrictions to restriction level 1

you knwo what funny they caught me today star, but they did it differently that the lil short cut thing, is a sistrin that i talk to nuff, them send it as a url, case you know people alwasy do them ting there, like yo look at this my yute it hard "url" then on clicking it something got dled when i look it was the msdos shortcut star. lift ma hats off to them i already got rid of it and the hidden file thought but them keep changing the distribution mechanisms for the virii.

Nope. Haven't got such a request. I have only techies on my msn list, so I most likely will not get a request to download any such file from them.