Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help/suggestions building a HTPC

WilBro Guest

Default Need help/suggestions building a HTPC

I presently watch my movies on my 23' monitor but in the next 2 weeks I will be getting a hdtv with hdmi inputs and all so I was thinking of building a htpc to watch my movies on.
    I was going thru Newegg and saw these 2 boards
    1. Gigabyte
    2. Asus

which do you think is better?

and what about this processor AMD Athlon 11

also I plan to put about 4 Gigs of RAM in it, not sure about the case as yet, I am not planning on spending more that US$300 on it

I REALLY NEED YOUR INPUT ON THIS GUYS, serious replies,sugestions and questions only
    Last edited by WilBro; Nov 24, 2010 at 04:50 PM.

WilBro Guest

almost 24 hours have passed and not 1 response, come on people unnu do better than that nuh please

I was looking at the thread and I came up with this build. Best thing It could come up with considering the budget.

Athlon II 250 $58

ASUS 785G AM3 Motherboard $80

G Skill Ripjaws 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600
    $50

Seagate 2TB HDD (For your Movies) $70

Blu Ray Reader $40

Coolermaster 500W PSU
    $40

TOTAL = $338
    Last edited by Avatar Roku; Nov 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
    CPU: Phenom 1090T 4ghz||Gigabyte 890GX|| G Skill 8GB DDR3 1600||OS: Crucial M4 Raid 0 (2x 64GB)||HDD: Samsung F3 1TB||Samsung F4 1.5TB||DVD: LITEON 24X||GFX: XFX HD 5870||LCD: Asus VW246H 24"||PSU: Corsair 850HX||OS: 7 Ultimate||

WilBro Guest

Thanks Avatar, I should have really thought about DDR3 instead of DDR2. I am planning on eventually getting a htpc case but right now may just throw it in a regular case. What about heat, will that be an issue with htpc cases?

Quote Originally Posted by WilBro View Post
    Thanks Avatar, I should have really thought about DDR3 instead of DDR2. I am planning on eventually getting a htpc case but right now may just throw it in a regular case. What about heat, will that be an issue with htpc cases?
    Should not be a problem considering it is only 65W.
    Last edited by Avatar Roku; Nov 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
    CPU: Phenom 1090T 4ghz||Gigabyte 890GX|| G Skill 8GB DDR3 1600||OS: Crucial M4 Raid 0 (2x 64GB)||HDD: Samsung F3 1TB||Samsung F4 1.5TB||DVD: LITEON 24X||GFX: XFX HD 5870||LCD: Asus VW246H 24"||PSU: Corsair 850HX||OS: 7 Ultimate||

Came across this product. Not a HTPC, but it can play hd movies from a hard drive
    newegg - Masscool MP-1371RS
    (Product site)
    I am not recomending it because I have not seen any reviews. I am keeping my eye on it though. I want to know what size hard drive max it can use, and what file system it supports eg NTFS. It also lacks a blu ray drive, but it is at $90 + $70 for hard drive
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

WilBro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    Came across this product. Not a HTPC, but it can play hd movies from a hard drive
    newegg - Masscool MP-1371RS
    (Product site)
    I am not recomending it because I have not seen any reviews. I am keeping my eye on it though. I want to know what size hard drive max it can use, and what file system it supports eg NTFS. It also lacks a blu ray drive, but it is at $90 + $70 for hard drive
    hmm, very interesting I may just consider this option, in the reviews almost everyone is saying the Patriot brand is better in term of getting firmware updates and such so I may choose that one

yeah a built media player could be the right choice. But that one doesnt do bluray so pretty much out.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Post reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WilBro View Post
    hmm, very interesting I may just consider this option, in the reviews almost everyone is saying the Patriot brand is better in term of getting firmware updates and such so I may choose that one
    The important thing is to look at the products you may be interested in. look at the reviews, pro's and con's and make your decision based on your pocket.

WilBro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    The important thing is to look at the products you may be interested in. look at the reviews, pro's and con's and make your decision based on your pocket.
    I have been watching and reading some reviews and seeing that it is just $95 bucks I think I may just get it and then eventually order parts for the htpc (includindg a good case)a lil by lil...... I already have a 500GB laptop hard drive (so far I think it supports up to 1TB) here so that can be used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdTFsA3XL-Q
    Last edited by WilBro; Nov 27, 2010 at 06:36 PM.