Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help/suggestions building a HTPC

That things actually pretty cool. I was looking at appleTV for 99$ but that has crap media codec support and comes with a bunch of drm BS to comply with media companies. Wonder if it will support external bluray drives.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
    Came across this product. Not a HTPC, but it can play hd movies from a hard drive
    newegg - Masscool MP-1371RS
    (Product site)
    I am not recomending it because I have not seen any reviews. I am keeping my eye on it though. I want to know what size hard drive max it can use, and what file system it supports eg NTFS. It also lacks a blu ray drive, but it is at $90 + $70 for hard drive
    yow this HDD enclosure is boss. Its a must have for my HTPC build early next year.

Thanx for the link.
    THANK GOD

@WilBro
    Thanks for the youtube link, really informative.

@semitop
    Wonder if it will support external bluray drives.
    If it had the ability to add a DVD or Bluray Rom drive to it, then it would be on my "to get list" definitely. I would install it at a couple of locations/homes.

The ability to add and transfer files really quickly is key to convenience:

DVD/Blu-ray is one of the fastest ways, all be it simple, to transfer files to a media player. This is more convienient when network speeds may not be ideal. Consider playing one show in the bedroom upstairs while another show is being played in the living room from dvd/blu-ray, and then instantly swaping disc when you are finished. The most you would have to do is walk and pop in and out the media.

This version of home box lacks dvd/bluray rom support, or at least the spec is not specified. However a firmware upgrade does seems likely. Check all vids below and tell me what you think. Perhaps, a slimline dvd rom drive, powered by usb only can be used with the relevant firmware update

Look at this dvd burner for $39.99
    SAMSUNG 8X DVD±R USB 2.0 Slim External DVD Writer (Black) Model SE-S084D/TSBS

Check this video
    SE-S084D

Check this video too
    SAMSUNG ODD SE-S084D AV Connectivity

I do not know what "av connectivity" is, nor if it is compatible with home box, but I will try to find out and see if the home box is compatible

Here is a slim Blu-ray rom combo. It is a slightly old video, and the price is a bit too high to consider right now. I would wait for the price to drop some more, especially since I was previously waiting for bluray blank media prices to drop, then I would get a blu-ray buner for my desktop.

#1108 - SilverStone (SST-TS05B) Portable Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive Video Review

The ability to store large amount of files is also key to convenience, since you would not have to transfer anything:

It does support a large capacity. This version supports 1TB laptop drive. Thus, you can copy and store large amount of videos on it. I would prefer to use my usb external hard drive for this, and then do frequent video updates with a usb thumb. It is possible to use usb thumb/hard drive or the network to do all of this at your convenience.

(PS. I have a usb hard drive that does not need a power adapter. I could use this as the source for multiple locations, but I would need the destination hard drive installed in each home box. The same thing can be done on the network, but for me I will not have another pc to network with at all locations. I did not realize it was "laptop" drive util just now. It is not really much of an issue because I had already planned to buy the drive too if buying the home box. It is just that the cost might be more )

I like the way this is heading, see chat at end of this video. It addresses future versions and considerations for 3.5" and blu-ray
    Patriot Box Office Demo

3.5" generally cheaper than 2.5"
    The downside is 3.5" generally runs hotter than 2.5" (My usb external hard drive is 2.5" and it is the coolest drive I have every felt. There is no power adapter needed. I love it. I got 2x500GB connected to my laptop right now)

1TB sata 3.5" cost about $60
    1TB sata 2.5" cost about $100
    2TB sata 3.5" cost about $90 (NOTE: This version of Box Office supports 1TB max
    2TB sata 2.5" none found, but not supported anyway
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you