Thread: PCI-Express Gen 3 Standard Update

Default PCI-Express Gen 3 Standard Update

PCI-SIG, the organization in charge of maintaining and developing PCI-Express, has announced that the third version of the PCIe standard is finished and ready for implementation. The new standard is fully compatible with earlier PCIe cards; a Gen 1 or Gen 2 card will run perfectly in a PCIe 3.0 slot.

Just as PCIe Gen 2 offered double the performance of Gen 1, Gen 3 again offers twice the performance of Gen 2 (8GT/s). Unlike Gen 2, however, Gen 3 incorporates a number of additional changes to improve its efficiency. PCIe 1.1 and 2.0 both use an 8b/10b encoding scheme. This means that 8-bit words are mapped to 10-bit packets. This is part of why PCIe bandwidth numbers are quoted differently. Technically, an x1 PCIe Gen 2 slot is capable of transferring 500MB/s, but 20 percent of this is overhead. The actual data transfer peak is 400MB/s. Instead of using the previous 8b/10b scheme, PCIe Gen 3 switches to 128b/130b encoding. This reduces the amount of overhead bandwidth from 20 percent to less than two percent.

Read the full story at the Source.
    PR : Intel i7 860 OC@3.8 / MB: Gigabyte ga-p55a-ud4p / MM: G.Skill 8GB 1600MHz Ripjaw Series / CS: Silverstone Rv02 BW / AC: Titan Fenrir Xmass Edition / MN: ASUS VE276Q / GPU: Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD

Performance is there... Now what to do with it. Let's brainstorm and try get this up to make more bang ($$) ppl.. *PCI_SIG voice*

I like it nonetheless :-)
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

is like these guys set out to bruck gamers, is this a part of the new world order?? Y di F*** they are changing pc slot so fats now on us??
    Intel core 2 quad 2.66GHz, Gigabyte EP45-UD3P, COOLER MASTER GX 650W PSU 7GHz DDR2 800, ATI 5770 1G, 500GB HDD, 320GB HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by jahson View Post
    is like these guys set out to bruck gamers, is this a part of the new world order?? Y di F*** they are changing pc slot so fats now on us??

this same reason y i dnt build n new box
    Video Game Technician in Jamaica 3968609
    Ultra Aluminus Black Case/ASUS Rampage Formula 2 /Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc 3.6/ZALMAN CNPS9700/8GB G-Skill ripjaw DDR3 1600/EVGA GeForce GTX super oc 470 edition /SAMSUNG Black 32" Widescreen hdtv/etc/

Quote Originally Posted by jahson View Post
    Well you did notice that they said this doesn't affect current graphics cards right? Read below.

How much this impacts day-to-day computing depends on whether or not vendors make full use of the technology. Manufacturers will be quick to slap PCIe Gen 3 x16 slots on their motherboards, but this, ironically, is where it'll matter least. The additional bandwidth may benefit GPGPU and HPC computing but modern video cards almost certainly don't need the bandwidth, even in SLI.
    Zee
    -----
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Quote Originally Posted by **ScarFace** View Post
    this same reason y i dnt build n new box
    LOL something newer, better, faster is always on the horizon that why I just choose the best bang for buck parts available and not worry about the coming next best thing unless its something really really major.
    Respawned: Asrock Z77 EX6_i5 2500K_XSPC Watercooled_16GB Vengence DDR3_2xCrucial M4 64gb ssd Raid0(os) 3TBs(stor)_Corsair AX860_MSI GTX 760_2x Asus 23.6" LED_Win8
    Computers-Incredibly fast accurate & stupid. Humans-Incredibly slow,inaccurate & brilliant. Together we are powerful beyond imagination

Quote Originally Posted by techdude View Post
    Performance is there... Now what to do with it. Let's brainstorm and try get this up to make more bang ($$) ppl.. *PCI_SIG voice*

I like it nonetheless :-)

PCIE SSD. Something like the OCZ Z drive
    CPU: Phenom 1090T 4ghz||Gigabyte 890GX|| G Skill 8GB DDR3 1600||OS: Crucial M4 Raid 0 (2x 64GB)||HDD: Samsung F3 1TB||Samsung F4 1.5TB||DVD: LITEON 24X||GFX: XFX HD 5870||LCD: Asus VW246H 24"||PSU: Corsair 850HX||OS: 7 Ultimate||

I like what i read in the article

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Roku View Post
    PCIE SSD. Something like the OCZ Z drive
    Sounds good to me
    Respawned: Asrock Z77 EX6_i5 2500K_XSPC Watercooled_16GB Vengence DDR3_2xCrucial M4 64gb ssd Raid0(os) 3TBs(stor)_Corsair AX860_MSI GTX 760_2x Asus 23.6" LED_Win8
    Computers-Incredibly fast accurate & stupid. Humans-Incredibly slow,inaccurate & brilliant. Together we are powerful beyond imagination