Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How Did You become A Techie??

Default Re:How Did You become A Techie??

How do country bumpkins become techies.... Well go on a rollercoaster and realize that your dream of becoming a test pilot is pure poppycock! That's a good way to start. The rollercoaster wasn't even that big, you know the little one that used to be at Coconut Park... Yeah... Dat one! Momma bought me a Samsung XT to pacify me. Got hooked up with a breddrin of mine who had an Apple II gs and the rest is lacklustre history.

Growing up, I was the only girl being raised with 4 brothers & 2 male cousins, who at the time seemed like technical gods to me—(little did I know!) : To cut a long story short, if I didn’t try to at least share their enthusiasm for gadgets, chip boards and good ol’ commodore, I would have been a misfit & would have had to fly solo during playtime. So I had to chuck Barbie for the machines—the best move I ever made! Ever since then, I just developed an affinity for the mechanical & the electrical. When I went to university, I still wondered how green the grass was on the other side & I felt like I had to explore a little bit. So I did . . . but came right back to my first love--computers. Now I know my love is genuine. ;D

Still inlove,

:'( :'(That was a touching story,I think I'm gonna cry. :'( :'(

j/k;D ;D

that's what they all say Dev . . .

lookout--it's gonna be a film someday

If you're the lead lady I'll watch it anyday

Techie? Mmm... I was maybe 6 or 7 and was amazed at this thing called a 'VCR'. So i decided i should pull it apart, and i did, then i attempted the TV, unfortunalely, i got caught and mi get some lik! :'(

I was amazed by anything electronic and i used to read or hear about computers but really hadn't used one till high school. There were some boys at school, and as with Zephyr, i thought they were tech gods!(all they could really do was open up windows explorer and find files i thought I lost :-[) so, i declared then and there that i had to know more, plus i refused to add fuel to their egos by asking them for help! 8)

i got a comp 4 da 1st in 99( my own that is)and i usd to run into problems all the time and would call ppl. askin 4 information til they got tired of me after a while i got tired of callin dem n decided to strt figuring out ma problems on my own and got so interested dat i havent stopped luvin computers. now ppl. r callin me ( not that i dont do a little callin @times)

How I became a Techie is somewhat a long story, but I'll cut it short ... I idled sixth form (A-levels) and failed Maths and Economics and only got Accounts.

Short heh? Well actually that's what started by career shift. I originally set out to be an Accountant like my Dad and planned on doing Accounts at UWI. Needless to say that with only 1 A-level that was not possible. Anyway, I ended up doing Comp Sci at CAST (now UTech) and left that programme mid-stream to do more Comp Sci at UWI. The rest and everything in between is history, very interesting history which is too long to share here. Maybe when we have the TechJamaica.com (off-line/realtime) meeting

All I can say is ... thank GOD I failed my A-levels ;D Oops, what did I just say? I hope I don't hear that from my kids when they grow up :P

Quote Originally Posted by ~ eBôÑ¥_¢HiÑee ~
    From MS-DOS to WinXP & RH9, and making my own 10 BASE Ts to routered networks... I just had to be a techie!! ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    So I had to chuck Barbie for the machines—the best move I ever made! Ever since then, I just developed an affinity for the mechanical & the electrical. . . . Now I know my love is genuine. ;D

Still inlove,
    Quote Originally Posted by Breakspeare
    ...I was maybe 6 or 7 and was amazed at this thing called a 'VCR'. So i decided i should pull it apart, and i did, then i attempted the TV... so, i declared then and there that i had to know more, plus i refused to add fuel to their egos by asking them for help! 8)
    These are perhaps the most touching lines I've read in a looong time. ;D

But perhaps the one that stood out most was Zephyr's chucking of the barbie... man, that one moved me in ways I can't verbally describe.

Breakspeare, I love that part about 'not fuelling their egos' - that is a powerful statement unto itself - BUT WHAT WERE YOU THINKING PULLING UP A TV? ARE YOU NUTS?!?! If you were successful, we probably wouldn't be able to read your post today. ;D What? You wanted to know what it feels like to be moved by the 'Holy Spirit'? Go to a Poco church. It's a lot safer that way ;D

It was around 1st form at Munro, looking for a career. At the time I was interested in everything, biology, math, physics, chemistry but didn't really know what I wanted to get into. At one point the plan was to join US Air Force cuz I loved to fly and eventually become an Aeronautical Engineer since I loved to design stuff.

Then one day my father brought home a PC XT 4.77 (10Mhz Turbo) with a CGA color monitor and 20MB Hard drive. I discovered DOS commands and GW-Basic and after that I was hooked. I started writing programs for every and anything. Computing was the one career which could concievably incorporate or be used in all the others I was interested in. I could fly flight simulators, design planes, create whole worlds etc... it was perfect