Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: How Did You become A Techie??

Default Re: How Did You become A Techie??

watching zdtv >techtv not g4tv

Jus wanted a PC to play games. got mine and started messing with it.....pulling it down and putting ti back together. ever since the days of MS-DOS. Got a book, DOS for Dummies.....love how versatile DOS was and the fact that I could do any DOS command made me somewhat of a guru to my less technically inclined friends so I started fixing PCs and stuff....
    Just getting the hang of it now still.....learning more and more applications of it day by day!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

MY story is similar to the above two, when i was about still in prep school i used to always want to know what's the inside of electrical eqipment looked like, so i used to pull down alot of component sets and vcrs. putting then back together again was a different story, used to have spare parts when i was done. in my closet i have 1 old tv with the twist nobs for channel changing, 4 vcrs, 3 component sets, an equalizer, dss receiver and a bunch of other things i pulled apart years ago.
    Skip to 5 years ago and techtv was my best friends, teaching me the software side of computers, Pat and leo where supreme beings back then, when morgan was on the screensavers, anybody remember sumi das?
    so that's how i got into tech plus the fact that i had an older brother that started a small tech business which i know run (into the ground).

in like 98 my parents decided to give me thier old 266mhz AMD k6 to fool around with....i did sooo much stuff wid that pc....it just wasnt powerful enough in the long run tho....so i sold it...then 2 years ago my peeps then bought me this cheap Hewlett Packard wid a celeron processor and ting...it was then that i started going into the pc and fooling around, jus doing little things like adding RAM.

then that summer at my job i learned even more from my coworker. i still kept on fooling around with pc's and researching stuff, then, the next summer at my job, i didnt have a pc at all, so for the first couple days, i carried my laptop to work when it occured to me that i had a junkyard of computer parts at my disposal.........thats when i built my system from junk parts...i was so proud of that thing star...and my boss and other coworkers were like "Wow...you mean you actually made sumn from this garbage?"
    ...and the system coulda move too, bun unreal on it an ting.

anyway, when summer finished and i wanted something more powerful to play my games on, i sold my motherboard, processor and memory and bought an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, a new motherboard and 512mb of ram wid the money, thats when i started learning about overclocking, and i managed to push it to 2.2ghz(3000+), i also ressurected an old IBM Aptiva and currently using it as a file server. i then started building systems for money.

now, im in my next stage....i sold the 2600+ and am currently waiting on the arrival of a 3200+ Athlon 64

Interesting journey,
    apparently I became a techie when I made over 200posts on the techjamaica forums.

me too.. I will soon be a senior one at that.

Oh my....u guys are hilarious. i wanna over-clock my Athlon XP 1700. so far i can only change the bus speed to make it either an Athlon or an Athlon Xp. What can i do? Techies.....help!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Well my story goes:

I started out as a humble lad in 1st form of High School. I knew about PCs existing but did not have one of my own. I was pretty anxious. My school (Wolmers) at the time, did not have a I.T. program in 1996.

In 2nd form, they introduced it. I was introduced to the PC for the first time (as in using it) in summer classes that year around 1997. It was exciting and looking back now I see how pathetic it was for them at the time to be giving us TYPING TUTOR almost every class!!

Finally, in 1999, I saw an ad in the paper for an affordable PC...a 366 Mhz Celeron from Computer Boutique. I begged my mother. She knew how much I wanted one and I had fished out a pretty good deal. She took me to the store the next morning! I got my PC with printer and scanner. This was the beginning of a new life for me, the techie life!

Reaching home, my father and I put the desk together and set up the system. This was happening in parallel to getting my first Internet access from C&W. This before they had a flatrate plan I believe (so yeah the bills were $$$$!). I was on it everyday, and browsing and learning. I pretty much taught myself most of what I know today as I took the initiative to get this knowledge. IT was the way forward. I became proficient in Windows (yeah yeah) and loved software of all kinds so downloading became a big thing. Yeah the viruses came but I do remember fishing out this virus I got from using IRC (Internet Relay Chat) (who remembers this). Way before MSN, Yahoo etc. I found that virus by searching with a common name in the registry! I rid myself of it!

I wasn't really much of the hardware guy, i.e. those who pulled the system apart. I was more able to use common sense and read to install software and attach external hardware devices, printer and so on.

It was only years after and yes the TechTV period that also helped me to get inside my PC. Soon after, I was changing my hard drive and my CD-ROM. I became hooked ever since 1999 and have now developed a great appreciation. I spend at least 6 hours a day online and more offline. I just love the PC, the whole technology and I am a huge cellphone technology fanatic too (see my signature!).

TECHNOLOGY has also given me an escape. It keeps me busy and I just love it!!!
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

What I need to do now, is get serious about making my own systems. I have a tutorial but I think I wanna go get certification and proper hands on experience so at least I could earn from it too...
    Lover of Technology, period!!||Currently loaded: Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Oh my story is short.
    My brother bought a programmble hp calculator when i was in high school 3rd form. He didn't want me to touch it so he gave me the calculator manual to read. The manual taught me how to program the calculator in basic. Eventually he let me touch the thing and i started writing code from that day until now. Programming has lead me to love technology and how its works in general.