Thread: Kylix 3 and PostgreSql

Default Kylix 3 and PostgreSql

I am using Kylix 3 (enterprise) to connect to a PostgreSql 7.x database. However, Kylix 3 keeps giving me error message "Invalid username/password".

My approach was to add my linux user to the PostgreSql server ('createuser' command) then use dbExpress connection component in Kylix to connect.

Within the component I entered the username and password of the user in the appropriate property sections of the connection component but get the error when setting connection = true

Any ideas?

BTW, PostgreSql is very impressive...will actually beat MySql hands down!

Kylix is also impressive and in my opinion may be the best development RAD tool for high level programming stuff like financial/database apps.

Go Linux! GO ! ;D

Default Re:Kylix 3 and PostgreSql

I am happy that you were able to install postgresql and get it working Rob. however while adding the user name to postgresql (need not be a linux user account) with createuser, if your application is using a hosname or IP to connect to the DB you need to edit your postgresql.conf file and uncomment the tcp_socket=false section and change it to tcp_socket=true this will allow remote connections or any tcp_socket connection to be established . Save this change and then issue the following command :
    pg_ctl -D $PG_DATA -l $SOME_LOG.log restart
    I would suggest that you get postgresql 7.2.2 (released today).

[quote author=Kbee link=board=8;threadid=102;start=0#479 date=1030209945]
    pg_ctl -D $PG_DATA -l $SOME_LOG.log restart
    I would suggest that you get postgresql 7.2.2 (released today).
    [/quote]

$PG_DATA is the path to the database path however the environment can be set as such
    export PG_DATA=/usr/local/postgres/data
    and therefore the command would be pg_ctl -D PG_DATA -l /usr/local/postgres/data/LOG.log restart

Instead of running the pg_ctl command I went into RedHat's services and restarted the Postgresql server. Does this have the same effect as running pg_ctl?

Restarting the server seemed to be the easier way.

good enough, i just like the hard way

[quote author=RobyG link=board=8;threadid=102;start=0#487 date=1030312072]
    Instead of running the pg_ctl command I went into RedHat's services and restarted the Postgresql server. Does this have the same effect as running pg_ctl?

Restarting the server seemed to be the easier way.
    [/quote]
    Another reason to use pg_ctl is that the postgres user cannot run /etc/init.d/postgres restart however the postgres user can execute the above mentioned pg_ctl command.
    I guess this is not an issue in a single user DB environment (like your home test box) however when maintaining strict control over your permissions on a unix server this is an issue.
    -Kurt

Good point