Thread: The Best General Purpose Editor I've seen so far

Default The Best General Purpose Editor I've seen so far

Now Notepad has improved quite a bit since the good ol' Win3.x days and I know some people say that 'real' coders use NotePad to code. However why should I waste time working with notepad alone when there's a good IDE around to help out?

Anywayz, there are times when you want something a little more useful than notepad, like to quickly view some source code or a program file but u don't really want to go to all the trouble of loading one of your IDE's.

I went looking for an editor which would at least have features like an MDI (multiple document interface), Syntax Highlighting for C++ and other languages, a decent Search/Replace and, most importantly, it had to be LIGHT ie. quick to load and not use a lot of resources.

I went through a couple programs like MetaPad, SuperPad etc but I think I've finally found it. This gentlemen, is the program I would write if I had the time. its call Edit Plus.

http://www.editplus.com

It is by far the best editor I've ever used. I have yet to think of something major I would want to add to it. The author has seemingly thought of everything.

Here are some of the features from the website :
    Syntax highlighting for HTML, CSS, PHP, ASP, Perl, C/C++, Java, JavaScript and VBScript. Also, it can be extended for other programming languages based on custom user created syntax files.

Seamless Web browser for previewing HTML pages, and FTP commands for uploading local files to FTP server.

Other features include HTML toolbar, user tools [so you can launch compilers etc], line numbers, ruler, URL highlighting, auto-completion, cliptext, column selection, powerful search and replace with RegEx, multiple undo/redo, spell checker, customizable keyboard shortcuts, macro recording and more.

I'm actually seriously considering paying the author for it . Its THAT good.

Check it out ;D

If anyone else has other good programs post 'em here as well

Default Re:The Best General Purpose Editor I've seen so far

I known that for a good while now CyVan. Nice of you to pimp out your favourite editor although many tend to lean to dreamweaver . editplus rules.

check
    vim or kwrite. Both r definately better than notpad

There is also NoteTab (www.notetab.com) that does the same thing you posted CyVan. Almost thought it was the same program you were talking about.

use editplus - it opens as fast as note pad. Also you can take off all the toolbars (I like my space). I haven't seen anything that compares. too many features - more than even Cyvan knows.

my favourites are Vi, Kedit

under windows : Notetab

[quote author=Arch_Angel link=board=10;threadid=1008;start=0#msg9536 date=1056237641]
    There is also NoteTab (www.notetab.com) that does the same thing you posted CyVan. Almost thought it was the same program you were talking about.
    [/quote]

I used to use NoteTab for awhile too, its a great utility especially the scripting language. The thing is tho its definately more geared towards HTML. So u only get Syntax hightlighting and autocompletion for those type of files. Load and C++ or anything like that in there and u lose the feature.

I hardly do anything with HTML, I'm more C/C++. What I like about EditPlus is that a lot of the features are customizable. It doesn't come with Highlighting for SQL but I could have created a file to define it. I ended up just downloading one someone had already created for ANSI SQL off the website and viola, my SQL scripts are Highlighted .
    You could conceivably set up files for any language u want.

for editing HTML NoteTab has some great features. But for any other languages and tasks I'd say EditPlus gets the edge.

They're both definately good programs tho.

ok cool. Didn't know it didn't work for other languages other than HTML. Don't use C++ files myself, so I wouldn't have known.

I might try Editplus one of these days, just to look at it. Don't really need another text editor. I got the tools I need already.

hey editplus is the total best man.

it is totally custimizable :, and one of my fav features is the fact that there are files to complete writing for you like a IF statement and if the function you using is not there you can edit the syntax file and place what you want in there.

Without a doubt editplus has got to be the best editing program ever created, i can't believe that that program has so many features, all programmers or computer techie should have editplus installed on their pc, big up to the creator of this truly life changing software, i give it a 10 out of 5