Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 is out

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Well I wouldn't call it assuming. With all the problems Windows have and the incompatibilities & complexities of Linux , users would be looking to switch real fast. Imagine apple mac OS goes Open source; Linux & windows desktops OS would be a thing of the past! who can deny the beauty and stability of apple. lets be honest with ourselves whether or not a fan. i dont have an apple because i cant afford it and my laptop cannot run a copy. run a survey and ask everyone you know why they don't use a mac and they will tell you. "The Price" I bet if i was able to make a post saying ship your laptop to me and i will in return send you a brand new mac book pro everybody would do it. well maybe not everyone but 95%
    Actually I would argue that everybody would switch to apple, but then quickly switch back to PC. Reason being, people generally do not like change. No matter how good a change is for them they will always be resistant to change. If you have been using windows and only windows for the majority of your pc life, chances are a switch to OSX would frustrate users and most would switch back to windows.

As I said i was one of those people who said "the price" but I had a good opportunity to use a mac for a while and that made me realize i'm not too willing to switch to a mac
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

As compared to who microsoft???
    yep. at least Microsoft publicly acknowledges that they have security flaws.

Unlike apple, who fixes problems under the quiet and pretends like their system is inherently secure
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Quote Originally Posted by Krems View Post
    yep. at least Microsoft publicly acknowledges that they have security flaws.

Unlike apple, who fixes problems under the quiet and pretends like their system is inherently secure
    LOL so krems if you purchase a door for you house from a carpenter and him no install the lock properly would you want him to send out mail to everyone in the neighborhood "acknowledging" that he messed up and is coming to fix your lock next week?
    Last edited by duster; Oct 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ur welcome guys....

LOL so krems if you purchase a door for you house from a carpenter and him no install the lock properly would you want him to send out mail to everyone in the neighborhood "acknowledging" that he messed up and is coming to fix your lock next week?
    now thats a good one.. every night some culprits wud be lined up to try and "fix it" for u.

Linux has become very popular over the past years and with its constant improvements in hardware compatibility, performance and security it is very well on the path of becoming a viable competitor in the desktop market
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

nah man...people KNOW seh that carpenter A(M$) nah no sense....so they install deadbolts, other locks and put a wedge behind the door.

unlike carpenter B(Apple) who proclaims he has the best and safest locks in the world and then sneaks into your house at night twice a year to fix the same lock that will allow random people to stroll in as they want

but this is all about linux tho....as much as i love ubuntu it seems skype is screwed again for me
    Last edited by Krems; Oct 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Ubuntu 10.10 is much more stable than 10.04 from my experience. It's faster and has a better feel to it. I'm really impressed. Since trying out 10.10 from its Beta stage, I have not missed Lucid one bit; and Lucid was great, but I feel far more at home with 10.10. I do hope Canonical continues to raise the bar with creating the perfect Linux-based desktop.

Testing it in my virtual box, nice and clean as usual, i really hope the stability has increased, i remember breaking it a few times in the past with simple updates that were certified UBUNTU updates.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    Testing it in my virtual box, nice and clean as usual, i really hope the stability has increased, i remember breaking it a few times in the past with simple updates that were certified UBUNTU updates.
    I just found out today that hibernation doesn't work. I'll do some reading around on the Ubuntu forum later on for solutions before i go over their and start a thread. I hibernated and then came home... tried to turn it on and it would not resume. I had to reset then allow it to boot normally. Tried it a couple times, but it refused to start up from hibernation. I might even need to submit a bug report as well.

I wanted to dual boot my win7 with a desktop version of linux so i downloaded ubuntu 10.10 and install it in virtual box.. after clicking around for 4 minutes I deleted it. Just not my cup of tea.. gonna give fedora a try instead. something about the GUI in ubuntu i just feel so detached . Problem with these linux distribution is too much tweaking is required. With windows&Mac very few settings is ever changed by the user after an install or preloaded image. I hope fedcore provides a better experience.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

I am forced to try a Linux flavor, installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a unit without an issue and downloaded a couple of apps (if that is what its called) to install and test on this unit, so far I have played about 18 games of solitaire because I can't figure out how to get the stuff installed, I can see the apps/software in the downloads folder, what to do "still trying to figure that out". While searching........All I can remember the Ubuntu forum saying is use Add/Remove which is no longer available in the new flavors of Ubuntu. it was suggested to use this new thing but I don't see the stuff listed there..........Oh I also tried the apt-get thingy still nothing happened. Don't have this issue with windows.

It's like moving out on the wife to be with the sweetheart and realizing it not all that it was made up to be, no fun. Now u start miss u wife "windows".

Maybe lata someone can instruct me how to do it when I'm home.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?