Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 is out

10.10 is miles, leaps, years, centuries better than Lucid for me in terms of stability
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    I updated my installation last week using the command line. I haven't noticed any difference yet. BTW, you can expect the .04 release every April and the .10 release every October.
    Well I guess if there isn't much change I'll just wait until next year for that release, the .10 releases aren't normally that great anyway. I knew about the release dates but normally theres somebody hyping up the new ubuntu release so much that I cant forget it. This time however it flew right over my head

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    G2 are you saying linux on the desktop is mainstream? most sites I check Linux in general is close to around 2% market share on desktop.
    Would you consider Mac usage as mainstream? If so then you can consider linux usage as mainstream as well, especially since linux use is now somewhere close to
    5% and rising as more people adopt the free life.

And I continue to argue that these statistics are wrong (as statistics tend to be), and the number is actually higher on the global scale. Its just that the people who actually have access to the internet and are also using linux are small. Linux has been adopted by millions of people across africa and south america (the poorer corners of the globe), however alot of those people who are using it dont have internet access as yet.
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Yute don't think im bashing linux... Im a fan, i know the stats on servers. Around 600 of our servers are linux. I just wanted you to clarify your statement; i interpreted it as if you were saying Linux desktops are mainstream!
    ute I said "ubuntu and linux in general is mainstream"

The use of linux on the desktop whether workstations, home PCs or netbooks is definitely mainstream. The stats might not say 50% but the idea of linux on the desktop is.

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    Would you consider Mac usage as mainstream? If so then you can consider linux usage as mainstream as well
    Good analogy. Macs are even less adopted than linux on the desktop (world wide not just US figures now) So if Mac has been mainstream for decades and still cant break 10% of worldwide users then Linux is definitely mainstream.
    THANK GOD

don't think i want to go with the update as yet. quite comfortable with the LTS currently installed. these updates and versions are making me feel somewhat like the Microsoft community with a new version ever so often.

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post

Good analogy. Macs are even less adopted than linux on the desktop (world wide not just US figures now) So if Mac has been mainstream for decades and still cant break 10% of worldwide users then Linux is definitely mainstream.
    Apple practices what's called "Premium pricing". If apple wanted they could lower their price so low that everyone would run and go get a mac and forget about windows/linux. So in this case you cant look at apple market share and compare it with Linux. Linux is free nothing stopping anyone from downloading a copy and load it unto their pc. On the other hand, who really wants to spend $2500 USD on a laptop unless you trying to impress people or the work you do really requires you to have an apple PC. For Apple is all about customer perception!
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Apple practices what's called "Premium pricing". If apple wanted they could lower their price so low that everyone would run and go get a mac and forget about windows/linux. So in this case you cant look at apple market share and compare it with Linux. Linux is free nothing stopping anyone from downloading a copy and load it unto their pc. On the other hand, who really wants to spend $2500 USD on a laptop unless you trying to impress people or the work you do really requires you to have an apple PC. For Apple is all about customer perception!
    But duster what you are doing is assuming, I thought this was more based on facts. You assume that if apple drops their prices everybody will buy an apple, but that is not necessarily true and it cannot be proven. People say things all the while but that doesn't mean they plan to go through on it. Once upon a time I was one of the people that wanted an apple but couldn't afford it, but right now if apple prices drop I'd simply shrug and go "ok".

And of course I can compare their market share to linux, who cares what their pricing strategy is. That is like saying that I cant compare BMW's market share to Toyota's because BMW prices their car above toyota's. If you wanted to open a garage to make some money would you open for BMW cars or Toyota's? The logical answer would be Toyota because the fact is, 1/3 cars are Toyota's while BMW only has 1/20 cars or there about.
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Skillachi View Post
    But duster what you are doing is assuming, I thought this was more based on facts. .

Well I wouldn't call it assuming. With all the problems Windows have and the incompatibilities & complexities of Linux , users would be looking to switch real fast. Imagine apple mac OS goes Open source; Linux & windows desktops OS would be a thing of the past! who can deny the beauty and stability of apple. lets be honest with ourselves whether or not a fan. i dont have an apple because i cant afford it and my laptop cannot run a copy. run a survey and ask everyone you know why they don't use a mac and they will tell you. "The Price" I bet if i was able to make a post saying ship your laptop to me and i will in return send you a brand new mac book pro everybody would do it. well maybe not everyone but 95%
    Last edited by duster; Oct 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
    Henry David Thoreau

Imagine apple mac OS goes Open source
    active imagination you got there

even still, a broadscale switchout from windowsto apple would be exchanging one set of problems for an entirely different set of problems.

lets not even get started on Apple's idea of security
    Last edited by Krems; Oct 11, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
    >>Insert something witty here<<

Quote Originally Posted by Krems View Post

lets not even get started on Apple's idea of security
    As compared to who microsoft???
    Henry David Thoreau

First of all you were the one who brought up market share % as a case in point. I just used mac because the previous poster did and he was right.

Apples limitations aren't the just price but the availability issues which would take much more than a price drop to fix, bear in mind people still buy alot more $2500 Windows laptops than they do Macs.

My point still remains Linux on the desktop is now mainstream that why there is no bag of hype surrounding the latest Ubuntu release. IMHO

Well I wouldn't call it assuming. With all the problems Windows have and the incompatibilities & complexities of Linux , users would be looking to switch real fast. Imagine apple mac OS goes Open source; Linux & windows desktops OS would be a thing of the past! who can deny the beauty and stability of apple. lets be honest with ourselves whether or not a fan. i dont have an apple because i cant afford it and my laptop cannot run a copy. run a survey and ask everyone you know why they don't use a mac and they will tell you. "The Price" I bet if i was able to make a post saying ship your laptop to me and i will in return send you a brand new mac book pro everybody would do it. well maybe not everyone but 95%
    Macs HAD the title for prettiest OS, its not the most secure and its no less complex than Linux. Its a UI running on top of a BSD kernel called Darwin. First of all techies like yourself and I would have hell tweaking that thing as compared to windows, unless you are contented with whatever Apple sells you. Performance wise Windows has always had almost all iterations of the Mac Os even the Mackintosh Os beaten, except for content creation where most current unix-like OS outperform windows including Linux.

Don't talk about 3D gaming. No gamer would seriously buy a Mac for gaming.

If the Apple OS were freely available to be installed on any hardware like windows it would be a nightmare, It would take Apple a decade or more to get to the level of Linux in terms of hardware comparability much less Windows.

Apple designs its software to work perfectly only with its hardware and thats why you are of the impression that its super stable. My Nokia 3310 was super stable in that case too.
    THANK GOD