Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • PHP

10 58.82%
  • ASP.NET

7 41.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PHP vs ASP.NET

@psybuck2002us as good as you may me at what you do, does not make you a master I'm sure of that. Perhaps you used the word master at bit loosely to suggest that you were able to grasp the concept within the semester. I've been using .net longer than you have and while I'm pretty good I'm still not a master...simply because there are countless things which I still haven't done with it. Also the use of MVC in asp.net has little to do with the resemblance to PHP. Like you I love asp.net, but having used both extensively I just have to agree that both are good but their use is subject to the task and time frame given. I know some avg. php developers who can out code an avg. .net developer.

Lastly, after 2 years and not being able to grasp PHP is not a good reflection of your skills...not bashing or anything...it's just that the language is pretty easy to pick up an go

i agree with Techie2000... it depend on the environment... I too love PHP, but as stated my recent work with silverlight.. find me spending more and more time ASP.net
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

if you are already familiar with c php is the best choice, you will get the hang of it much faster.

digimon Guest

ASP.NET wins hands down. The only area php wins out is in large websites like facebook that cuts cost by using linux hosting. Asp.NET would attract a large Microsoft licensing fee that would accumulate over those thousands of servers.

For everything else use ASP.NET. I learned web dev from learning php. After learning asp.net and c# i realise how i have wasted my time in php

the .NET framework (which has hundreds if not thousands of useful classes) and webforms was the deciding factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I've done somethings in both and I can safely say that nothing beats a new version of ASP.NET every 3 years (so fresh and so clean). check out my site its all ASP.NET, But seriously I'm bias to the development speed of php.
    Owen, when u say development speed of php do you have some secrets you want to share? cuz i find it annoyingly slow to develop in
    Last edited by digimon; Dec 15, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by digimon View Post
    Owen, when u say development speed of php do you have some secrets you want to share? cuz i find it annoyingly slow to develop in
    True, cuz I can wop up sumn in ASP.NET in no time compared to PHP. Also, the debugging, refactoring and testing capabilities available in Visual Studio makes it far less painful to develop in ASP.NET.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

My advice would be to use both; if you can, as each one has its own merits and has earned its place in today’s web application development industry.

This poll is pointless. Anyone who says php is better than asp.net is clueless as to what asp.net or php is. This is like asking "What is better, Windows or Apache on Ubuntu?". You cant even compare the two. you are comparing a complete object oriented Framework with a single language. A sensible comparison would be "what is better, C# or PHP?".
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by digimon View Post
    ASP.NET wins hands down. The only area php wins out is in large websites like facebook that cuts cost by using linux hosting. Asp.NET would attract a large Microsoft licensing fee that would accumulate over those thousands of servers.

For everything else use ASP.NET. I learned web dev from learning php. After learning asp.net and c# i realise how i have wasted my time in php

the .NET framework (which has hundreds if not thousands of useful classes) and webforms was the deciding factor for me.

Programming speed is relative. Of course it depends on what you are programming and how skilled you are. To quantify speed you would have to imagine the most complicated thing you have ever written, then try to write that application or program a second time and compare the how long it takes. If you get better and better as the program gets more complicated then you can say that the language allows you to program "fast". On the flip side if you start writing big applications and it takes you years to finish it then what you have is diminishing returns.

Clear php appeals to a certain type of procedural programmer, so it may not return(!true);

PHP... a the bosssss
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT