Thread: EXT4 Fails!

Thumbs down EXT4 Fails!

This is personal. My root file system killed itself (somehow). It is on ext4. What happened? I am setting up a VM with only 4GB of space left on /home. / has 8GB. I am guessing /home got full. So I restart and go to Windows for the time being. I had a customer using my system to do her work yesterday on linux. Her files are there. I start this morning to get an error like this
    Code:
    EXT4-fs error (device dm-0)
    ext4_loopup: inode #786442
    (comm switch_root) deleted inode reference 790977
    switch_root can't execute '/sbin/init': input/output error
    Chroot-ing from a rescue OS does not work; the file exists. So what do I do now? Research. What I get is that my hard drive is going. That seems to be wrong. Don't ask me how I know!

So now I will just transfer everything to a new fs and work from there. I am not using ext4 anymore. JFS works just fine.

More errors during rescue
    Appendum

It's official ... REINSTALLATION!

I surmise 1 of 2 things failed: LVM2 or EXT4. JFS still working; so is ext4 on /boot. So the guilt rests on ext4?
    Last edited by carey; Sep 1, 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Perhaps impending hard drive failure? Depending on how JFS handles bad sectors, it could be more resilient.
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

I am just hoping that Oracle doesn't kill btrfs now that they own the golden child ZFS. The creator of ext said that ext4 is just a stop gap until btrfs is suitable for production use so go figure.

Default BTRFS to be redone

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Perhaps impending hard drive failure? Depending on how JFS handles bad sectors, it could be more resilient.
    My hunch says it is something I did with the processor scheduler. Made Deadline the default instead of CFQ. So it may have failed to dump changes to files when the JFS file system was full. The computer hung.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    I am just hoping that Oracle doesn't kill btrfs now that they own the golden child ZFS. The creator of ext said that ext4 is just a stop gap until btrfs is suitable for production use so go figure.
    Was testing it out. But after a few days certain behaviours made me nervous. Especially space usage. Then the forums discussing how bad an idea certain things were that were implemented pushed me to drop it.

So JFS, with the "man3 goes missing" bug is the best of all I have tested for me. Low pressure, fast behaviour.