Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VAIO not coming up

Default VAIO not coming up

It was a typical morning. Got up and turned on my computers including my VAIO notebook. This morning was different though, rather than do its speedy boot-up, my baby just stared back blankly at me. None of the usual start up screens, nothing. Just the power light and the battery light when I plugged out the ac adapter. A little niuse from the hard drive, nothing unusual, but nothing. I tried everthing, including swapping around the DIMMs. Still nothing. :'( Called Sony customer service and now I have to get the machine back to Miami so that I can send it to them in the pre-paid courier box that they're sending to the FL address I use. That's the price I'll have to pay for buying it in "foreign", like I had a choice anyway.

Man this stings, :'(especially after sitting through a few hours yesterday of another PC manufacturer's seminar talking about their warranty coverage in Jamaica.

Default Re:VAIO not coming up

I think the problem was caused by my red-eyeing it. Sorry.

[quote author=CKnight link=board=3;threadid=100;start=0#470 date=1030133902]
    I think the problem was caused by my red-eyeing it. Sorry.
    [/quote]

or another person (who'll remain nameless) feeling it up ;D

HAHAHA ;D I wonder just who that nameless person was. By the way upon my return to NJ , my gateway2k laptop was not booting , however i think that it was due to me recalibrating the battery. I love when software destroys good hardware. Well good thing i have a 3year support contract

The latest....the notebook has been in Miami since Thursday a.m. August 29th, but guess what? No pre-paid box from Sony >. I called them back and had to request another box which should arrive on Tuesday Sept. 3rd (hopefully).

I'm going to loose productive time without this notebook, so they better hurry the turn around time!

The latest update - I called Sony last night and they've changed the processor. The next step is for them to test it and ship it out. I'll keep you posted with updates.

Hey Chris, are the Vaios all they're cranked up to be? My personal experience has been they are too small and come with too many attachments and the proformance is just blaaah...

I'd perfer a 45lb Toshiba with everything it and no add-ons anyday...

Also if you had a Dell, you'd have had it back already... ;D

[quote author=melbarr link=board=3;threadid=100;start=0#1015 date=1033329418]
    Hey Chris, are the Vaios all they're cranked up to be? My personal experience has been they are too small and come with too many attachments and the proformance is just blaaah...

I'd perfer a 45lb Toshiba with everything it and no add-ons anyday...

Also if you had a Dell, you'd have had it back already... ;D
    [/quote]

YES, YES, YES ;D

Sony VAIOS notebooks are really great! If you compare them with other notebooks you'll realise that you get more bang for you're $$. They are also strong when it comes to design, ergonomics, etc. Notice that I said notebooks, their desktops however are imho nice, but slightly overpriced.

People have complained about the quality of SONY's support, but I have not had ANY problem with them, and I'm dealing with them all the way from Jamaica, not in the US like most complainants The only headache is the hassle to get the notebook to and from the US in a timely and cost effective manner. melbarr, you're right, If I had a Dell I would have gotten it back already :-[ (but I don't fancy most of Dell's models ).

There is a misconception that all VAIO notebooks are itsy bitsy paper thin machines. While SONY have made a name with small and thin VAIO notebooks, they have also come out very powerful desktop replacements. Check the models at the link below.

http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.j...p;itemid=31618

My model is the GRX550: P4m-1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, 15" screen, DVD/CD-RW, etc. It's bulky and totally unlike it's slimmer siblings, but like melbarr, I want my notebook with everything on it, no peripherals to carry around ;D

Oh, btw - the notebook is now back with a friend in FL and should be in my hands next week this time. I can't wait ;D

[quote author=melbarr link=board=3;threadid=100;start=0#1015 date=1033329418]
    My personal experience has been they are too small and come with too many attachments...
    [/quote]

I never thought I'd see the day when someone would complain about a laptop being too small and having too many expansion slots.

The real pain is when you have to say ... swap out the DVD/CD drive to fit in a floppy drive just to be able to copy a file you need or stuff like that...

I don't think is a case of having expansion slots is the issue... its the baggage that must be carried around.... just in case you need it!