Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IIS on xp linking to mdb on mapped 98 drive

Default Re: IIS on xp linking to mdb on mapped 98 drive

Ok, I think I can see how your network is setup. So you have your databases pages on your laptop. You're connected to a wireless network, in your store. On that network also is a Win 98 machine that holds your database. And you want to be able to connect to that database from your laptop.

That sounds about right? Forgive me if I haven't gotten it yet.

To do that you would need to setup a network share to the folder the database is in, from your laptop. (Laptop is running XP pro right?) Once you have done that, you could access the database using the following dsn-less connection string:

Code:
    set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\\Ws1\C\GCSData\Inventory.mdb"
    Make sure you have the latest OLE DB Jet drivers installed on both systems. Win 98 and XP. You can find the Jet drivers at Microsoft's site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/downl...fault.aspx#jet

But despite all this, I think you are going to have a problem editing the database. Since you only can set Read only access on the share.

I will have to do some checking with some colleagues to see if there is another way to do this with win 98. But the win 98 might be your bottle neck.

Thats got it.

I don't actually need to write to that database, infact, it would be safer if that was not possible. Just out of curiosity, is that connection string a better one to use than the Microsoft Access Driver one? I do a lot of database controlled flash websites. Some I want more than 8... acctually more than a couple hundred people to be able to add, edit and delete records at the same time.

Yes it is better. The other one is an older connection string which is deceprecated. (not being used anymore) The one I gave you is the current and more recommended connection string.

Make sure your database is a Access 2000 database and newer. It if it is an Access 98 or 97, or 95, you need to convert it to a newer version.

I believe it is Access 95. I will backup the database and convert it. I have a fear that the converted database wont work... But I have been a little to nervous to check.

Oh, I forgot to thank you.... Thanks I was going a little .

Thanks a bundle

Don't worry. You can always go back to your backup if it doesn't work out. But it is better to use the updated database version with the newer connection strings.

You're thanking me but we haven't gotten it working yet. Have you?

My colleagues say that it is ok to connect to the database on the win 98 machine using a mapped drive. Win 98 gives you full permission (read and write) by default.

So it should be able to work.

Yes I did get it working. Thats why the smily. You can see my little test page, it comes up fast even through my 28.8 connection, however I am no a non static IP dialup account so my address changes every time I log in. So I would have to show you while I was still connected. If you are interested, I will stay dialed in for the next half hour. My current IP address is 209.53.124.102. Follow the link and then enter the first four letters of a latin plant name such as "prun" from prunus for cherry or plum trees.

Thanks again,
    Offroad

PS if you ever need any MM Flash help let me know. I know over 12 other languages and scripts but I am far too rusty in most of them to be of any use.

Oh very cool. Glad you got it working then.

Just checked it out and it is loading very fast. Nice work.

And you're welcome!