Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird the bane of my existence

Quote Originally Posted by TALLIS View Post
    You haven't said much but I'm gonna post some basic email troubleshooting below (not sure if you tried them already)
    Do a send receive and look for error messages when its authenticating/checking for emails, if you see error messages just Google them.
    Also check double check and recheck the users mail settings and adjust accordingly maybe the settings have changed or got corrupted on that users computer. Maybe you could create a new (Thunderbird mail) profile on her machine to test if her profile got corrupted or something.
    Good Luck!
    Re-created the profile and it still failed, however i was able to solve and here's how i was able to zero in....................
    From the webmail side i created a new folder and transferred some of the undownloaded mail to these folders and alas they would download/sync to thunderbird upon restarting. I then transferred some emails from the INBOX to other folders and a few emails came down.

The long and short is the inbox was too full with some 20,000 + emails, hence i had to archive via webmail which in turn freed up the INBOX to download new messages.
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

Sounds like a maximum mailbox size issue.

You could also check to see if a more recent version has a higher maximum. Remember to backup your files before you start the upgrade.

You may find this article useful.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_(Thunderbird)

Remember to test any changes properly before rolling them out on a production computer.
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    +1 for Mailbox size, mos def something you can look into because the problem may arise again in the future

You could also check to see if a more recent version has a higher maximum. Remember to backup your files before you start the upgrade.

You may find this article useful.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_(Thunderbird)

Remember to test any changes properly before rolling them out on a production computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TALLIS View Post
    +1 for Mailbox size, mos def something you can look into because the problem may arise again in the future
    Hence me saying Thuderdirt sux! It works quite well for a few hundred messages however when you mailbox starts to get really large you will have problems, and its a same that I started this thread over 4 years ago and the same issues where Thunderdirt has difficult handling large files effectively still exists I mean surely this cannot be a business class application, Windows Live is a much better mail client. Again Thunderdirt sux!!
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

It is unfortunate that you have had such a bad experience with Thunderbird. We have not had the same experience. It is good that you have found a solution that meets your needs.

BTW, there is a significant difference between
    a few hundred messages
    and
    20,000 + emails

If Thunderbird starts giving me problems, I will be sure to give Windows Live a try.

At least we can all agree on one thing.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 12, 2014 at 06:54 AM.

I use thunder-bird with no issues.....
    And I have gazillion of email in it.. have emails from back in the 90's

Need to run a clean up mission..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

Likewise.

I used Eudora back in the day. I imported my Eudora mailboxes into Thunderbird when I started using it.

Also use Thunderbird from back when it was part of the Netscape suit without problems.

I know of the issue with email accounts and # of emails in it. That's why I limited the # of emails synced to just a month or less. So that it doesn't sync back to 1990.
    But have the issue where thunderbird takes exactly 30 seconds to load the main mail window each time after opening.

Thunderbird support forum suggests I moving some of the emails out of the inbox and into a new folder. But nuh really whaa do dat. So for now, I gwaan work wid it, or use Outlook 2013 on occasion.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Okay then... Thunderbird appears to have a limit on the maximum size of each mailbox. A good solution is to create additional mailboxes instead of having one big mailbox. For the user in this post, the mailbox limit was reached after about 20,000 messages.

Not a deal breaker IMHO. Not sure how many people will have 20,000 messages in their inbox.

Okay then... Thunderbird appears to have a limit on the maximum size of each mailbox. A good solution is to create additional mailboxes instead of having one big mailbox. For the user in this post, the mailbox limit was reached after about 20,000 messages.

Not a deal breaker IMHO. Not sure how many people will have 20,000 messages in their inbox.
    Quite true, I mean a lot of persons used Outlook Express quite fine until the while 2GB mailbox limit thing popped up, personally I received roughly 15K emails per year, so the petting needed by Thunderbird wouldn't cut it for me, but if your load is light by all means have at it, plus I haven't used it in a while maybe improvements have been made, can anyone state? But all the Thunderbird bashing aside save for Chrome and Firefox I have all but given up on Open Source software.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......