Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird the bane of my existence

Quote Originally Posted by topanaris View Post
    We rotate offsite backups weekly so her data will be restored. As for Outlook i moved the Outlook PST file to a folder in the user profile so it backed up at shutdown utilizing roaming profiles, to date i have never had any issues with Outlook lossing data
    I have never had a problem with Thunderbird.

No doubt I will have a problem one day. No doubt you will have a problem one day. That is why we backup our data.

The thing that pissed me off about thunderdirt is Mozilla saying "create folders or lose your data", "compact your folders or lose your data", "clean out your inbox or lose your data" as if this is the norm. Maybe am just upset right now or maybe am just asking too much from an open source app or maybe i should just be happy that it ran for 6 years before it broke down
    Last edited by topanaris; Aug 24, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often -Anonymous.......

Just to show you that you have company, if you use Outlook 2000 - 2003 and the size of the PST file grows to 2GB you are going to lose data. There was a patch that was released that basically froze Outlook from accepting anymore email and corrupting the PST.

jamrock's advice was best. Store user's email on the server as it was designed to store GBs worth of data. The user can then access the email via IMAP or MAPI (if using Exchange). There will still be a local copy on the user's laptop but if it crashes everything is still on the server.

I have also seen Netscape's old email client crash because of mailbox size so it seems to be a common occurrence for some email clients.

Hmmm, interesting. i have never experienced data loss with Outlook, and 90% of all clients using Outlook have PST files larger than 2GB. The server store idea wouldnt work for me as the user in question has a laptop. And i am a bit skeptical about making the folder available offline and how it would affect the mbox files. As for IMAP we dont have that option we are limited to POP. The only alternative i see is to convert the MBOX to EML files and import them into Windows Live Mail. Painstaking i know, but it should get the job done.

Here is the KB article that describes the 2GB limit in older versions of Outlook. Thankfully not many people still use those old versions and the file format has been changed to one that accommodates files as large as 20GB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336

I just saw something briliant online. Windows live mail uses eml files what that means is instead of have mailbox files it saves the individual messages as eml files. This is super for me because on migrating everyone to Windows live mail who has roaming profiles the shutdown time will be reduced significantly

Having issues with Thunderbird as well, did a search and came across this thread but not much i can take from it for my issue. One of my users using Thunderbird and is setup with IMAP settings however, three days ago it just stopped downloading messages. I'm able to log in the webmail hosted by GoDaddy, the mails are all there.
    Other users are fine both with Outlook and Thunderbird, this particular user has some 20,000 emails. I've looked through the emails via web but bot seeing any emails that could be causing a 'clog' ? How can i fix this ?
    Shhhh!I see dead people!

You haven't said much but I'm gonna post some basic email troubleshooting below (not sure if you tried them already)
    Do a send receive and look for error messages when its authenticating/checking for emails, if you see error messages just Google them.
    Also check double check and recheck the users mail settings and adjust accordingly maybe the settings have changed or got corrupted on that users computer. Maybe you could create a new (Thunderbird mail) profile on her machine to test if her profile got corrupted or something.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MG Kelly View Post
    Having issues with Thunderbird as well, did a search and came across this thread but not much i can take from it for my issue. One of my users using Thunderbird and is setup with IMAP settings however, three days ago it just stopped downloading messages. I'm able to log in the webmail hosted by GoDaddy, the mails are all there.
    Other users are fine both with Outlook and Thunderbird, this particular user has some 20,000 emails. I've looked through the emails via web but bot seeing any emails that could be causing a 'clog' ? How can i fix this ?
    Get rid of Thunderdirt....... (I know this doesn't help but I would seriously look at migrating to Windows Live Mail,) Thunderdirt sux!
    Last edited by topanaris; Nov 6, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thunderdirt sux!
    I haven't had an issue with Thurderbird. I know of a company where they use it extensively. I am not aware of any issues there either.

Issues occur from time to time with all applications. I don't think Thunderbird is problematic.

The troubleshooting tips that Tallis posted seem pretty reasonable to me. Have you tried them?

What type of backup procedures do you have in place for the users' email?
    Last edited by jamrock; Nov 7, 2014 at 09:01 AM.