Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes in Windows XP Product Activation

Default Changes in Windows XP Product Activation

SOURCE AVIRANS PLACE

On February 28, Microsoft® will disable Internet activation for all Microsoft Windows® XP product keys located on the Certificates of Authenticity (COA) labels distributed by large, multinational OEMs.

Direct OEMs of Microsoft (large multinational OEMs that that have a direct signed license agreement with Microsoft) usually preinstall Windows software using System Lock Preinstall (SLP), which is a direct OEM’s method of legitimately bypassing Product Activation on behalf of their customers.

One form of piracy occurs when Product Keys are stolen from Certificates of Authenticity (COAs) that have been placed on direct OEM machines where the Windows software was preinstalled using SLP. Pirates take the Product Key from these COAs and sell them to resellers or customers who then use them to activate a hard disk loaded copy of Windows.

To reduce the illegal trafficking of these OEM product keys Microsoft will “disable” the ability to activate these direct OEM Product Keys over the Internet. When a customer or reseller tries to activate using a Product Key found on the list of “disabled” Keys, the online product activation wizard will instruct them to call Microsoft where a customer service representative can assist them further. Call center operators receiving these calls will only issue an override key to customers who correctly answer a series of questions which manually verify them as legitimate.

The first phase of this Product Activation policy update will affect product keys from the top 20 Direct OEMs only. This policy will go into effect on February 28th with additional updates throughout the year to extend this policy to all OEMs authorized to use SLP. This change will affect all Windows XP product keys already shipped from the top 20 OEMs in the market today as well as shipments going forward.
    Vision without Mission is Daydreaming!

Default Re: Changes in Windows XP Product Activation

I am not sure whether to vomit or go take a dump.

Oh well it is a good thing my copy is legitamate
    Master Yoda:"Strong with the force TechJamaica is"

No big deal, Horray for linux, take a hike bill.

OH NO......so does that mean "bye bye XP corporate edition?"....am i the only one with "FCGKW......."?

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

I feel your pain electrotechnic, but all this means for me is that i'm soon to be in a monogamous relationship with Linux
    The Wisest Men Follow Their Own Direction - Euripedes

...am i the only one with "FCGKW......."?
    You probably are. Providing that they do get past it, how long do you think it will take before they get past this new security feature?
    私は退屈し, どの考えをも何私の署名として置くために 有しない
    Ignore whatever I post in RED

hmmm Microsoft at it again. It's kinda impossible to stop the pirating of their software but is activation really necessary. Aren't there cracks out there that bypass activation. Well guys this is where linux comes into play.

Open Source.........
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

Yeah Linux seem to be the answer more and more everyday.

i had a friend who re-installed without the knowledge of this and, BAMM he is hit with the cannot register thing. however we got around it by emailing microsoft. they send back some steps to activate.(no new key was needed.)
    Nickname: Virus
    Education: B.Sc. Computer Information Science, Asc. Mass Communication, MCSD, MCSE and CCNA

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic
    OH NO......so does that mean "bye bye XP corporate edition?"....am i the only one with "FCGKW......."?
    Um.... i know you are just joking... but this isnt really safe to post. People do monitor this website you know and there was a big conversation about this in another thread
    Laptop: HP DV6700t - Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz, 3GB RAM, Nvidia 8400m GS, 250GB HDD. Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus