Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news PS3 hacked with PS Jailbreak

I would advise you guys to take this with a pinch of salt, seeing as how they demonstrated it's use on a dev ps3, which is already capable of running unsigned code from backup disks and hard drives =P.

Update: The OzModchips video appears to use a debug PS3 system, which has the capability to run unsigned code (including code from a USB drive) and load games from the hard drive without the use of any USB dongle. This doesn't mean that the claims of PSJailbreak's effectiveness are untrue, but it certainly calls them into question. Why use a debug system to prove functionality that already exists in a debug system?
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/19/us...etail-backups/
    No one expects the Inquisition.

This has been confirmed to work on ALL playstations running firmware 3.41. That article is from yesterday, more current ones confirm this.

PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.

Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.

Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)

Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.

Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.
    Source: http://psx-scene.com/forums/cmps_index.php
    Last edited by seanbee20; Aug 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

Ah, I see, my mistake. Carry on then.
    No one expects the Inquisition.

Man, after reading forums all morning, I don't see how Sony will easily fix this on existing consoles, they may be able to correct on future builds but based on how the consoles are built today, it is gonna be a hard fix.

Basically the USB dongle executes before the software of the PS3 is even loaded and tells the console to enter into debug/service mode which is a mode used by repairmen to fix issues with the PS3.

What the hackers did was get a hold of the PS3 jigstick used by these repairmen (I guess someone is gonna get fired) and reverse engineered it and created their own USB dongle.

Sony would therefore need to rewrite the whole boot code to fix in my opinion and as such I doubt a simple firmware update wouldn't correct this exploit or I don't think so.
    POWERED By: LIME 3G

yo scarface... might need a ps3 and one of these when u get em. If its not possible to DL the games, might just wait some more

Homebrew supposedly is possible. Gonna be nice seeing what ppl make for the system
    Last edited by semitop; Aug 20, 2010 at 11:46 AM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Quote Originally Posted by seanbee20 View Post
    Man, after reading forums all morning, I don't see how Sony will easily fix this on existing consoles, they may be able to correct on future builds but based on how the consoles are built today, it is gonna be a hard fix.

Basically the USB dongle executes before the software of the PS3 is even loaded and tells the console to enter into debug/service mode which is a mode used by repairmen to fix issues with the PS3.

What the hackers did was get a hold of the PS3 jigstick used by these repairmen (I guess someone is gonna get fired) and reverse engineered it and created their own USB dongle.

Sony would therefore need to rewrite the whole boot code to fix in my opinion and as such I doubt a simple firmware update wouldn't correct this exploit or I don't think so.
    I agree this will not be fixed easily with s firmware. This will need a new hardware. But we will see.
    AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 4GHz | Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU cooler | GIGBABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P | Sapphire 6950 unlocked | 6Gb Gskill RAM | 1.5TB total HD | Dell U2412M IPS Monitor | Zalman 750W PSU | LENOVO SL500

Quote Originally Posted by BNOVA View Post
    I agree this will not be fixed easily with s firmware. This will need a new hardware. But we will see.
    Dnt think it can be fix that easily it's some like 360 mod can't be fix that easily
    Video Game Technician in Jamaica 3968609
    Ultra Aluminus Black Case/ASUS Rampage Formula 2 /Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 oc 3.6/ZALMAN CNPS9700/8GB G-Skill ripjaw DDR3 1600/EVGA GeForce GTX super oc 470 edition /SAMSUNG Black 32" Widescreen hdtv/etc/

i am ashamed of u guys openly taking about piracy. u should all by ur games and support the developers so they can continue to make great games. I am an honest man and i purchase all my games.
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

Sounds good.... thumbs up to you (y)