Thread: Linux malware

Post Linux malware

Not one of he most popular topic among the World of Windows but never the less an important one.

The Linux operating system, Unix and other Unix-like computer operating systems are generally regarded as well-protected — but not immune from — computer viruses. According to advocates like Scott Granneman, Linux provides better protection compared to Microsoft Windows.[1]

There has not yet been a widespread Linux malware threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software faces; this is commonly attributed to the malware's lack of root access and fast updates to most Linux vulnerabilities.[2] These are the equivalents of User Account Control and Windows Update in modern Windows operating systems.

The number of malicious programs — including viruses, Trojans, and other threats — specifically written for Linux has been on the increase in recent years and more than doubled during 2005 from 422 to 863.[3]

read more here

Quote Originally Posted by lojikal View Post
    Not one of the most popular topic among the World of Linux but never the less an important one.
    Fixed.

I honestly don't feel its fair to compare Linux vs. Windows in this manner.
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by NOKIA 3650 View Post
    Fixed.

I honestly don't feel its fair to compare Linux vs. Windows in this manner.
    LOL @ Fixed. Classic.
    THANK GOD

From what I've heard, it is the fact that Linux is being maintained by a wide community of programmers that makes it less susceptible to virus than Windows. Therefore, if a threat was to emerge, it would get fixed, and updates and patches would be released even before many of us would hear about the threat.

Quote Originally Posted by marl30 View Post
    From what I've heard, it is the fact that Linux is being maintained by a wide community of programmers that makes it less susceptible to virus than Windows. Therefore, if a threat was to emerge, it would get fixed, and updates and patches would be released even before many of us would hear about the threat.

VERY TRUE....
    i need to get more familiar with it though
    n

Well Mac OSX has been exposed so I guess it's a matter of time before Linux feels the blunt of malicious programmers......
    LAPTOP:- Alienware M11x C2D @1.7GHz, SATA 300GB HDD, nVidia GT 335M 1GB (dis.), Intel GMA HD-64MB (int.), 2GB DDR3 RAM @1066MHz, 1.3MP webcam Running Windows7 64bit
    MOBILE DEVICE:- SGS3 T999 dual core Qualcom Snapdragon @1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 16GB (int. SD), Adreno 225 GPU, 8MP pri. cam, 1.9MP ff running Stock:4.0.4 UVLH2 modem

The day linux gets vulnerable is the day you have to agree to a license to use everything; you don't have to compile any application and you can't patch or change specific lines in code before compiling your own app.