Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel WiMax

I pray to god that it works well in St. Thomas esp your corner bro.
    THANK GOD

Mine suppose to reach me at today at 1-4pm.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

I'll take wired over wifi any day as my main internet connection. The rates are pretty nice though. Now it's just to see if their service is consistent and reliable.

To the owners so far, does weather affect the wifi connection at all? I suspect heavy rain and electrical storms may but I'd love to know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy View Post
    I find the cost a bit disturbing. Your speed is occasionally faster than my 4Mb connection from LAME yet, you are paying less. To top this off, they increase the cost on all their packages by $200.
    bECUZ LIME realizes that they are on a fast sinking ship and their days are numbered, so they are try to milk as much as they can in the short space of time in which they are still somewhat relevant, If you look at their paltry product offerings, and their lack of innovation, then it is hard to see how they can stay afloat in today's fast paced world, LIME is like the aging track star who still shows up at races and refuses to believe that their time has come and gone, i firmly believe that a major change to lime is coming and that will involve them taking a less active role in day to day consumer sales and will stick to promoting business products, either that or they will sell out their infrastructure and pull their stakes up out of Jamaica
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Neoprimal View Post
    I'll take wired over wifi any day as my main internet connection. The rates are pretty nice though. Now it's just to see if their service is consistent and reliable.

To the owners so far, does weather affect the wifi connection at all? I suspect heavy rain and electrical storms may but I'd love to know for certain.
    I would agree that wired should be more reliable but if C&W is anything to go by ...
    The bang for the buck and ease of getting service were the Digi WiMax kickers for me.

I have not been home during the deluges but I suspect that it will be affected. Water absorbs strongly around 2.4GHz region and this signal is at 2.5GHz. I recall reading something about weather effects - I will look again.
    I could have remote managed the device from work and told you the signal strength in all sorts of weather if #2 (No DynDNS client) on my list was addressed.

One more thing on the list of issues with the CPE device - no list of DHCP'd devices. Such a list is good for knowing who is connected and easily adjusting your blocked/allowed devices list. I will have to go speak with Digi & ZTE and tell them what they need to fix up in the firmware ( another shameless attempt to get a free year of service ).

Zerodeth, it is the ability of the track star to run that is important not their age. C&W just can't run
    The final nail in the C&W coffin will not come as a result of the competitors product offerings per se - it will come when number portability is introduced in the telephony market.
    Last edited by ginegog; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Good luck with it. Never had a good experience in my testing with the CPE modem. Got very low signal where I was in red hills, not going above 1 bar on the modem. In fact, the 1 bar blinked on and off as it tried to hold the signal.

With that low signal, latency was through the roof. Could hardly complete a tracert without it timing out. When I did, it didn't go above 512 kb.

Good luck to those who trying this out.

@Archy - Isn't there anything that you can do to boost the signal?
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy View Post
    @Archy - Isn't there anything that you can do to boost the signal?
    I could have gone and stood on the roof of my 2 story house and hold it up real high, but I really couldn't bother.

The next best thing was to try the modem all over the house, but the best was a blinking light on the 1 bar upstairs, other areas had no bars.

I guess you need to make sure where you will be using the modem that it gives you 2 or 3 bar signal, otherwise, performance is gonna be sucky.

I count a blinking number as 1/2 so Arch, you are getting 1/2 bar. One bar gives me over 2 meg between RHR and Molynes road. I guess I could do some "WiMax war driving" to find the sweet spots in my area .

If we can find out where the WiMax transmitter is, it will help you in pointing but that is only useful if you have clear line of sight. It is said that there are two omni directional antennas inside but the unit is directional. Concrete and grillwork are not friendly to signals so if you can avoid those you should get better reception. (( or you could rig it up with a weatherproof housing and an old 4' satellite dish ))

had anyone plugged it into an inverter and drove around with it
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1