Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Digicel WiMax

Default Digicel WiMax

After a 2+ year battle to get reliable service, being told that my line will not support speeds much faster than 2Mb/sec and the current round of issues where my TV and BluRay can't get on the net, I really had enough of C&W. Flow wanted to extract $4,000 + tax extra (and non refundable) if I got the Arris 54g modem and the backchat I got from customer service while trying to sign up (I wasn't supposed to ask questions evidently) meant they really did not want my business. I was called by Digi and opted to signup for their WiMax based broadband service. Touted up to 10Mb/sec, it's a far cry from my current 2Mb/sec C&W ADSL.

Well, I went and did it!

I got the DigiCel WiMax CPE modem (OEM'd by ZTE) yesterday.

Attachment 1542

4 port Ethernet switch, WiFi (b/g) and 2 VOIP ports are built in.

Attachment 1543

With a weak signal( 1 bar), courtesy of lots of concrete, it was already faster than my ADSL.

Attachment 1545

... and here is C&W

Attachment 1546

TV loaded up its internet channels and streamed video with no stutters or waits whatsoever.

Data rates shot up when I relocated and re-pointed for better (2 bar) signal.

Attachment 1544

... and hopefully it will continue like this as the network becomes more populated.

When i get the opportunity to test further, I will tell you how it performs with 3 signal bars, interference and attenuation (trees and rain).

Now for the "bad" news:

1. WiFi is limited to 4 simultaneous clients! This needs to get this addressed.
    Two laptops, a media player and wireless printer and its all done! Digi, please don't say that I should go get a wireless router if I want more connectivity - this is a firmware implemented limitation. If you must limit, allow for at least 8 WiFi connections.

2. The modem has no dynamic DNS client. I am used to being able to get back to home to access my servers.

3. No NAT/PAT. It has NAT and port forwarding. I am used to the Zhone modem being able to route packets coming in from port X to a particular IP's port Y, a step above simple port forwarding. Not a biggie but a very nice to have.

4. It's not an ugly box but the DigiCel signature red is a bit overbearing. The logo on the front is sufficient.

Digi, nice offering and I wish you well but please talk to ZTE. Let them make the necessary firmware changes so the box can really shine (and give me a free year's service for the suggestion ) - roll that out via the network. Firmware can't fix the red so ask ZTE to make the units in black and white from now on.

i soon get mine, the orders have already been placed
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

whats the cost of all this?
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

how u recieve the package? you go up to the head office for it? what the monthly charge?
    yow i want 1... but can digicel system support this? cuz dem network give problems some times... and will this be the end of FLOw lol
    Last edited by rickyjazz; Aug 12, 2010 at 05:11 PM.
    BLACKBERRY 8520
    POWERED BY DIGICEL 2G

LIVE TODAY=> DIED TOMARROW, RICH TODAY=> BROKE TOMORROW THAT HOW LIFE GOES,LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST

Quote Originally Posted by ginegog View Post
    After a 2+ year battle to get reliable service, being told that my line will not support speeds much faster than 2Mb/sec and the current round of issues where my TV and BluRay can't get on the net, I really had enough of C&W. Flow wanted to extract $4,000 + tax extra (and non refundable) if I got the Arris 54g modem and the backchat I got from customer service while trying to sign up (I wasn't supposed to ask questions evidently) meant they really did not want my business. I was called by Digi and opted to signup for their WiMax based broadband service. Touted up to 10Mb/sec, it's a far cry from my current 2Mb/sec C&W ADSL.

Well, I went and did it!

I got the DigiCel WiMax CPE modem (OEM'd by ZTE) yesterday.

Attachment 1542

4 port Ethernet switch, WiFi (b/g) and 2 VOIP ports are built in.

Attachment 1543

With a weak signal( 1 bar), courtesy of lots of concrete, it was already faster than my ADSL.

Attachment 1545

... and here is C&W

Attachment 1546

TV loaded up its internet channels and streamed video with no stutters or waits whatsoever.

Data rates shot up when I relocated and re-pointed for better (2 bar) signal.

Attachment 1544

... and hopefully it will continue like this as the network becomes more populated.

When i get the opportunity to test further, I will tell you how it performs with 3 signal bars, interference and attenuation (trees and rain).

Now for the "bad" news:

1. WiFi is limited to 4 simultaneous clients! This needs to get this addressed.
    Two laptops, a media player and wireless printer and its all done! Digi, please don't say that I should go get a wireless router if I want more connectivity - this is a firmware implemented limitation. If you must limit, allow for at least 8 WiFi connections.

2. The modem has no dynamic DNS client. I am used to being able to get back to home to access my servers.

3. No NAT/PAT. It has NAT and port forwarding. I am used to the Zhone modem being able to route packets coming in from port X to a particular IP's port Y, a step above simple port forwarding. Not a biggie but a very nice to have.

4. It's not an ugly box but the DigiCel signature red is a bit overbearing. The logo on the front is sufficient.

Digi, nice offering and I wish you well but please talk to ZTE. Let them make the necessary firmware changes so the box can really shine (and give me a free year's service for the suggestion ) - roll that out via the network. Firmware can't fix the red so ask ZTE to make the units in black and white from now on.
    10mbps is the fastest it will go even on 3 bars... glad to know yours working fine, mine barely working now...
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

its in port antonio, but not at my exact area!!! need a digicel techie to do a test!!! another thing, was just talking to a digicel wimax customer care and he said that we in jamaica on cellphones was already getting 3g just that the band signal will still say EDGE when its actually 3g. what do yal think? or u guys did already know? (need to do a speed test on my bold 9000)

Ok i got the cost: You have to choose either a post paid or pre-paid

now the post-paid:
    $3000.00 security dep. (refundable) after one year with the service. You get the device free either the cpe or the usb, and you pay $ 2937.50 a month..

Prepaid: You pay $ 4641.25 (tax included) for the cpe modem and $5998.25 for the usb modem

you have 3 plans to choose from and you get unlimited internet, but you have to buy credit!!!!

7 day plan: $1200 + gct
    14 day plan:$2000+gct
    30day plan: $3000+gct

so it cheaper to go post paid lol
    BLACKBERRY 8520