Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing some research, looking for, well, help

Default Doing some research, looking for, well, help

Hi Everybody,

I'm doing some research on Jamaica and need a Local to help me with background information I won't get from travel guides or Wikipedia. Anyone feel like you could drop a couple of lines if I post my questions here? I'd also appreciate it if we could stay in touch, as I'm bound to have more questions over the course of a year or so.

Yeah, I'm writing a book. Smart guess.

Best regards,
    Grouchox

Default Re: Doing some research, looking for, well, help

I am sure u could get some help here. Just a question though have u tried using google?

Also there is a site that has alot of Jamaican websites so this could also be the best place to start in ur search for info. - www.top5jamaica.com
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

I don't mind helping, I think I'm local enough to answer more than a few questions.

Tamara remember this isnt infojam

I can help...i guess...or atleast i can learn.....what exactly u need to know? PAST, PRESENT or FUTURE of Jamaica?

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

hmm, dont mind helping, but how the time gonna work out. How many hours ahead are u?

Hi there everybody,

thanks for the overwhelming show of support so far. To answer the last question first: I guess I'm 6 hours ahead (CET in Germany), but I don't mind doing this a day at a time.

For starters, here are some points on which I would value your input:

1) What is the official name of the Defense Ministry (OK, THAT I could have Googled out) and of the State Department/Ministry of Internal Affairs. How much influence do they actually have in politics and day-to-day affairs?

2) Which parts of Kingston are tourist country, which ones are goverment areas, which ones are (sorry) "gangland"

3) Is there any one building or appartment complex where guest workers/scientists/executives from the US or EU might stay? You know, kind of a Yankee Ghetto kind of thing. Does that place have an official name, and a nickname?

4) In your opinion, what are the most pressing problems for Jamaica, mid-term to long-term. I know crime and corruption are most severe, but lets pretend they would improve if the overall situation could me improved. Budget, Economy, Education and all that. In these fields, what needs to be done most urgently?

(I know that last one is tricky. Please don't feel like I'm trying to start a flame war here. But these are the kinds of questions google can't answer, so I need so real people for input)

Best regards, and thanks in advance,
    Grouchox

Hey Grouchox, no disrespect but, I wouldnt mind you telling us a little bit about yourself.

I mean, that would make it a little easier for us to help you.

Hey Grouchox, no disrespect but, I wouldnt mind you telling us a little bit about yourself.

I mean, that would make it a little easier for us to help you.
    and the project u r working on...a little background info, motives etc.
    Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hi there g2cris and max,

no problem.

I'm a tech journalist from Germany, mostly IT press and some Hi-Tech focus, too. Age 32, male. I'm trying to put together a fiction storyline about (roughly) a German IT professional working in Kingston for an abstract I'd then offer to agents or publishing houses, hoping they'd be interested in having me write a novel on this.

Best regards,
    Michael