Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Android Catalog

I think after reading ya'll discussions, that having this as a sticky would be the best option right now, instead of an Android sub. If L4ndo will keep this thread updated regularly, I can sticky it. This is good info.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I will try as much as I can

Quote Originally Posted by L4nd0 View Post
    Please note new information will be highlighted in bold
    post your info here as well ppl so I can get the chance to update the 1st page

Thread has been cleaned up, because it seems I have the power to do so.
    L4ndo, keep up the good work bro.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 18, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

I found this relevant because any smartphone ATT releases will work here in JA on 3G. So here are some Android devices hitting soon. Hopefully they'll get to Jamaica in some way, shape or form. Either through carriers or unlocked.

The Big Boss (as of June 2010)

This is the Samsung Captivate (A Galaxy S-esque phone released with ATT's bands: http://bit.ly/9HmGFI)
    It's a spot on clone of the Galaxy S EXCEPT for the front-facing camera found on Tmobile's Samsung Galaxy S offering. It's a Beast, period.
    As a point of reference, the Evo 4G has a 'better' camera...and I say 'better' because the difference between 5mp and 8mp is pretty narrow, and of course 4G/Wimax capability - which gives it stuff like hotspot tethering, etc (for an extra cost, of course!). It also beats the Captivate in terms of being a Videochat phone, the Captivate lost it's front facing camera as I suspect ATT feels that 1 video chatting data guzzler of a phone is enough on their network and having Flash which for some unknown reason Samsung left off both the Galaxy S and Captivate.
    The Captivate, however has a beautiful Amoled screen, on board storage (which can translate to being faster in the long run) and is smaller/thinner/lighter. It also has wifi n vs. the Evo's max g and is DLNA compatible meaning you can hook it up through your PC and stream movies/music to certain LCDs or through Mediaboxes (WDTV Live) or software (PlayOn). Compared to the Iphone 4, I'd say both are on par except for the missing front facing camera on the Captivate and missing Bluetooth 3 on the Iphone. Although SJ would have you believe the Iphone 4's screen is godlike, many, many reports are claiming the Galaxy S to have a superior screen. The Iphones resolution is nice, but again, the Galaxy S 'looks' better reported by many reviewers. The Iphone is a tad thinner, the G S a tad lighter.
    So really, when it comes down to it you're really picking between these 2 on ATT for iOS vs. Android or Videochat capability and not really raw 'power'...because they both have that.

The Little Boss (as of June 2010)

Dell's Aero/Mini 3 is, very slightly 'more' of a phone than the Aria. It has a bigger screen and is running at a faster CPU speed, but is running less RAM. It's pretty much a keyboard-less Backflip and is likely to not have any Manufacturer cooked up Android flavors (like Motorolas Motoblur or HTC's Sense) in case you don't like that sort of thing.

The Supervisor (as of June 2010)

The HTC Aria is a device, thinner, slightly more powerful (~100MB more RAM and ~80mhz more processing power) with a slightly bigger screen (.10in) than the Backflip. It also comes with Android 2.1 preloaded vs. the Backflip's 1.6.

The Workforce (as of June 2010)

The Backflip, a pretty versatile phone and appealing to those who hate (or dislike? or mildly not take kindly to?) touchscreen only aka virtual keyboard dependent phones.
    Pretty run-of-the-mill type and affordable looking, lol.

And more...

So, here's to hoping that some of these make it to Jamaica in a timely fashion.
    If ATT didn't have such crappy phone and data plans I'd switch so I could use 3G here in JA.

u have a whole lot
    can even do all but will try the most resent

This thread is only making less work for the admins when Android really start to blow up in Jamaica and becomes a hotter topic.

At least, I would think it's more work to be searching for and moving the threads when the sub-category is made.

A sub-category will be made, why? cause droid a the best right now hands down i dont see another os bad like it i waiting till i leave in a few weeks to go get my own and techja better have the sub-category when i come back
    SMART PHONE: Note 2 (N7100) [B] Ps all Pics are taken with the phone in my sig.....

So, got together yesterday for Father's day with some friends to watch the Brazil game and of course at some point the discussion turned into a heated exchange on the cell phones and It was evident that lot's of testosterone was in the air. lol
    Anyhow had my first experience with the new HTC EVO 4G of a friend who had one present and I came away Very, Very impressed with the phone, especially the 1.3 megapixel front facing camera which I saw how useful it was while using skype. My only caveats were the size, weight of the unit and the pictures taken with the 8 megapixel camera. (seemed somewhat washed out, but picture quality was blamed on the anti glare strip which on the unit).

Got home and did some research and this is what I came up with which I want to share with all interested..http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hi...ontent;leftCol
    http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...tCol;post-5055

I am a BB Curve owner and felt slighted and envious of the HTC EVO 4G capabilities. It then became obvious how quickly phone technology becomes dated, but to the benefit of the consumer. RIM we are waiting.....

Conclusion: This phone is not a fad and sure did provide something for everyone, from the serious IT/Tech person to the functional App demanding consumer.
    Last edited by jahman182; Jun 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
    my location 10.10.10.10 subnet ?

I have used BB's from b4 they were popular in Jamaica and i was amazed by the fact that i was in the deep bush in Manchester and be able to chat on messenger and this was truly amazing, but fast forward to 2009-2010 using the various curves and storms i didnt see any real innovation and the fact that the OS and apps arent open source only serves to drive me away from the BB camp, not to mention the awful BBM that you can't log out of.

IPhone now was cool to me for about a day then I got tired of it, with its zero customization unless you jail break, then there is the fear that if you do anything remotely illegal to the phone Stevo will hunt you down and kill you.

So its on the Android camp for me
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

@zerodeth I think you put things in perspective perfectly.

Edit: BTW, why are they not shipping any of these new handset with usb 3.0? I a big media buff and its frustrating having to wait so long while moving media back and forth from PC to cell using usb 2.0. Between ebooks, audio books, mixtapes, movies, pictures and to a lesser extent office documents its driving me nuts!
    Last edited by Technocrat; Jun 24, 2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Respawned: Asrock Z77 EX6_i5 2500K_XSPC Watercooled_16GB Vengence DDR3_2xCrucial M4 64gb ssd Raid0(os) 3TBs(stor)_Corsair AX860_MSI GTX 760_2x Asus 23.6" LED_Win8
    Computers-Incredibly fast accurate & stupid. Humans-Incredibly slow,inaccurate & brilliant. Together we are powerful beyond imagination