Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Android "How to:" guide

The apn for lime is "internet"
    ppinternet works for me isnt "internet" for post paid users?

thanks for that virus, but marlon is correct. so many different APN Configs out there *sigh should prob call Customer care and get the official ones LMAO

as pertaining to your question, CM6 is Cyanogen's release of Froyo for G1/Magic, it has all the features of the original Froyo + tweeks like ADW Launcher 1.0.1, tethering, and updated code for super users and memory boosts.. no way is it a lighter version of the stock, however it IS a beta currently that i am running (and its running pretty well). it lacks some of the features of the stable release of CM5.0.8 such as "auto wifi adhoc config" among other things
    Last edited by vylle; Jul 22, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

Hm ok...

When I had the n900 "internet" was the apn I had to use (prepaid). Of course customer service told me one thing and the store told me another.. but the store was right.

Same settings apply for my N1, but whatever works for u

Default How to perform a nandroid backup

i'll add a "how to metamorph" topic soon,

for now, it conserns me that some guys dont know how to back up their phone. im sure we all know that backing up is IMPORTANT if your going to hack your phone and load up roms on it. lets just say that its better safe than sorry

"HOW TO: PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP"

Weary of rooting your device? Maybe you just want to try that new experimental ROM? There can be many reason to be worry about messing with your phone, but with all the built in back up features rooting provides you, its never been easier to just hit “restart” and try again. So here’s how to backup and restore your Android phone so you can take full advantage of it fearlessly.

I. Before You Begin

1. If you have not already rooted, you need to do that and flash a custom recovery image. like the one in the first thread

If you have a Nexus One, do this procedure to gain root, then do the next procedure but STOP after Section II.

2. Once you have a custom recovery image then you can proceed.
    II. Boot into Recovery

1. Depending on your phone it is a different button combo to get into recovery mode, but simply turn off your phone then turn it back on by holding down Power and [whatever your button is listed below] until you get to your custom recovery screen. (If you get to an ! screen, that is the original recovery screen that came with Android and means you did not flash a custom one, go back to Section I and do the unroot and root procedures then come back):

G1, Dream, MyTouch, Magic, Hero – Hold HOME and Power while the phone is off to get to recovery.
    Nexus One – Hold Volume Down and Power to get to bootloader mode, then use the volume keys to get to the Recovery option and press the power button to reboot into recovery.

2. Once you are in recovery mode, you can go to the next step.
    III. Performing a Nandroid Backup

1. Once in recovery mode, simply use the trackball to select the option that says Backup (on different recovery images it says different things but it will say something like backup or Nand backup or Nandroid backup).

2. Once you push that it will backup your entire phone to your SD card. Now that you have that (I would recommend copying the entire nandroid folder to your computer so you never delete it off the card on accident), you can now load ROMs, Radios, etc. and know you can always get right back to this point by putting that Nandroid backup on the root of you SD card and get it back.
    IV. Restoring a Nandroid Backup

1. Simply put the nandroid folder back onto your sd card (if you removed it).

2. Boot into recovery mode.

3. Select Restore (may be called Nand or Nandroid restore as well) and wait for it to finish.

4. Once done, click reboot phone and you’re back to the way things used to be

remember guys - before FLASHING an experimental ROM, always back up your current data using nandroid

LOOK OUT FOR MORE HOW TO'S!!
    Last edited by vylle; Aug 19, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Facebook || Twitter

Default How to: Theme your phone using metamorph

Ok, now i bet by now some of you guys are sick of how "traditional" your phone looks and want to make it look smexy. Loading up new custom roms may fix that problem but you dont wanna load up new OS just 2 get a new look do you?
    you can also load up a new home replacement app but some tend 2 slow down the phone and cause FC's ever so often. so how do you change the look and feel of your phone without flashing a new ROM or installing a home replacement app? Simple - use METAMORPH!

metamorph is a customization application that changes the appearance of your phone by either installing full themes or by installing parts of the theme that you like, leaving everything else as you want it.

HOW TO METAMORPH

1. reboot into recovery mode and perform a nand backup (read the tutorial)

1. follow the most recent tutorial to download and install Metamorph.

2. download any metamorphable theme you can find, but i will post the following links for experimentation purposes
    BlackBar - this changes UI elements to black
    WhiteBar - this changes the UI elements to white

3. plug in your phone and mount it, create a folder called "androidthemes" this is metamorphs default folder

4. copy the downloaded zip file into the folder

5. disconnect then open metamorph. enable super user status then select "Extract theme"

6. After extraction, there should be a list of "apk files" these are the elements of the themes you have available, from here you can install elements individually (like the calendar widget, calculator, search, settings and so on) or apply all if you wish.

7. the phone may freeze for a bit, this is expected, give it a while then it will restart automatically. When your phone has finished rebooting, you will notice a new look on your phone depending on what you installed.

8. if you notice that the color of the font for the notification bar has changed, simply go into "spare parts" (or "Cyanogenmod settings" in settings menu if your using CM6) then user interface then go into the banner "status bar customization" there you can select the different sections (battery & clock, Date & provider.. etc) and change the color to whatever you wish

there you are.. your first metamorph

I've found a site that has a lot of cool themes for everyone to try and metamorph to their home. check the "Blogroll" for each author and download their creations. Click here then go to blogroll for each author's section for themes

NOTE
    this procedure can work for a large variety of themes but please keep in mind that not all themes will work for your installed ROM (because of compatibility issues) if Metamorph exits after extracting a rom stating that the theme is not recognized.. it wont work.. simply move on and find another theme. please be careful of what themes you edit onto your phone and always give credit to the creators

LOOK OUT FOR MORE HOW TO'S
    Last edited by vylle; Aug 19, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Facebook || Twitter

Okay so now I have an Android I have the G1 I disabled roaming, auto sync and gmail and a feature is still sapping my credit I have no idea which feature. What else do I need to disable?
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

try making another apn but just put in some crap and select it as your main connection and tell me if anything changes
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

Okay I'll try that, can't I just remove all APNs all together?
    Intel i5 2300, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, 12GB DDR3 @1600 MHZ, XFX 6870 2gb (Stock). All Stock

For in much wisdom is much grief, and increase of knowledge is increase of sorrow | If you love something let it go, if it comes back to you its yours if it doesn't, it never was.

yes you can i didnt bother to put in any i just use wifi
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

I just deleted both of them I had converted back to RC29 which seems to not allow you to choose one to be main or choose it to be active at all it just connects to them depending on which settings works so I'm going to avoid it the version of Android that I was running before though you could have selected which one you want to use.