Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the 7 deadly linux commands

Distros should not be still using hda. What? They still using the old 'ide' kernel options instead of the new libata/pata? No compatibility is needed. Hope it's just udev creating a softlink to sda or some other libata device.

I accidentally did an rm -rf on /etc on a production box a few weeks ago. Someone accidentally copied /etc into another location and I was trying to clean it up... That box had to to be rebuilt. Now whenever there is an issue, the sysadmins always tell me not to delete /etc because that wont fix it.

We only work from the console, GUIs are for n00bs not to mention I find it much slower

Quote Originally Posted by techie2000 View Post
    I accidentally did an rm -rf on /etc on a production box a few weeks ago. Someone accidentally copied /etc into another location and I was trying to clean it up... That box had to to be rebuilt. Now whenever there is an issue, the sysadmins always tell me not to delete /etc because that wont fix it.

We only work from the console, GUIs are for n00bs not to mention I find it much slower
    gui's are for n00bs yet still you rm -rf /etc on a production box
    starry heavens above and the moral law within
    Open source!
    dmitridawkins.com

Try 1 of these 3 next time:
    1. Code:
      rm -rI [files|directories]
    2. Code:
      echo rm -rf [files|directories]
    The second shows what the command looks like: not what is done. There is no simulation for rm. There were some old scripts with /bin/true though. When you run commands like that it should "fake it".

Addendum
    Safe rm
    Last edited by carey; Jul 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

LOL just think of some linux newbie in a chat room asking for help and gets one of these commands instead.

I accidentally did an rm -rf on /etc on a production box a few weeks ago. Someone accidentally copied /etc into another location and I was trying to clean it up... That box had to to be rebuilt.
    Clean up???? Techie that look like a newbie mistake my yute.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by carey View Post
    Distros should not be still using hda. What? They still using the old 'ide' kernel options instead of the new libata/pata? No compatibility is needed. Hope it's just udev creating a softlink to sda or some other libata device.
    Yes but that new distro has to be installed first to use the new kernel options.

Until then, there are many old systems up and running that have olden hda setups.

I still ran SuSE 9.0 on one of my old boxes until recently

Some people even inherited old laptops with old distros installed on them just to learn about command line unix environments.

My sister ran Ubuntu 8.04..

It all varies.
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.