Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JALUG Network Administrator's Course - DNS

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicalBabe View Post
    what is gcc?
    On Linux we run applications such as Samba, Postfix and OpenLDAP. There are two main ways to install these applications on your Linux machine.

You can install pre-built packages using yum or you can compile the applications from the source code.

The packages you install using yum have already been compiled from source code. You just install the finished product.

When you compile your programmes from source code you need a compiler such as gcc.

People often wonder why a person would compile their packages from source code when a pre-built product exists. The reasons include:

Someone may want to configure the application to work a certain way.

The pre-built package may be an older version and the person wants features available in the newer version.

I am not reaching anywhere....so I am going to try it from the cd :-(
    Live and Love

where are u having problems?
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

I am not reaching anywhere....so I am going to try it from the cd :-(
    You just have to configure Virtualbox the way you want it to work.

Remember you can come to class half an hour early or wait back after class for half an hour. Someone can help you at that time.

You can also chat with the people who set up Virtualbox on the machines in the lab.

I seem to be reaching somewhere now. However if my host name is db.testcompany.local, in the forward lookup zone file should I change the "server1" to "db"? Would "db" be the name of my server?
    Live and Love

yes thats correct... which way did u do it? the shared folder or the cd?
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

I seem to be reaching somewhere now.
    Woot!!!

However if my host name is db.testcompany.local, in the forward lookup zone file should I change the "server1" to "db"? Would "db" be the name of my server?
    There are different types of data in the zone file.

The following lines have information re: the dns server itself. You should replace the names here with the name of your dns server.

@ IN SOA server1.testcompany.local.

IN NS server1.testcompany.local.

The following lines contain names and ip addresses of the machines on your network. Note that there is a record for the dns server.

server1 IN A 192.168.1.5
    pdc1 IN A 192.168.1.5
    payroll IN A 192.168.1.15

The following lines contain info. re: your mail servers. They would not be present if you have no mail servers.

@ MX 10 mail1.testcompany.local.
    MX 20 mail2.testcompany.local.

So if you are not on a network there is no sense in adjusting the names of the servers and ip addresses then?
    Live and Love

well u still have to make ur practice as realistic as possible. change the server name but u can use the other names if u want

Default Shared folder issues

I am trying to mount the "vboxguestadditions.iso to /mnt/cdrom" using "mount -t auto /dev/cdrom-hda /mnt/cdrom" and am getting the following error:

mount: special device /dev/cdrom-hda does not exist ...

what am i doing wrong ?