Thread: Symbian Guru is over

Default Symbian Guru is over

As of today, I will no longer be updating Symbian-Guru.com, and will be purchasing an Android-powered smartphone – my new Nexus One should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been a Nokia fanboy since 1999, and a Symbian fanboy since I got my Nokia 6620 in summer of 2004. Since then, I’ve personally owned 10+ different Symbian-powered smartphones, and have reviewed nearly every Symbian-powered smartphone that’s been released in the past 3 years or so. I’ve tried to use all of Nokia’s various products and services to the best of my ability, and I just can’t do it anymore..................con't

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...m-is-over.html

was wondering how one one posted it yet
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

thats sad... smh really

There are two players in the Smartphone market: iOS & Android. Everything else is lagging behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
    There are two players in the Smartphone market: iOS & Android. Everything else is lagging behind.
    BBOS, still has a very lrge steak in the game. Symbian still the biggest in terms of market share. The IOS is still crap even at version 4.
    THANK GOD

Quote Originally Posted by g2cris View Post
    BBOS, still has a very lrge steak in the game. Symbian still the biggest in terms of market share. The IOS is still crap even at version 4.
    im sure her was saying everyone else is lagging behind in innovation bbos is still pretty dated though
    Lg Nexus 4|Motorola Xoom 4.0.3 Official Ice Cream Sandwich
    Rosewill CHALLENGER|ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX|XFX Radeon 6870|Thermaltake BlackWidow 850W|12GB G-Skill Ripjaw|AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black Edition|32" Sony NSX-32GT1|Razor BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard|Cyborg R.A.T 7 Mouse|Astro A40 Headphones|Logitech X-530 5.1

yea u will find that many high profile power users will switch based on the current position the os is being pushed into. even the N8 is a mid tiered phone(signified by the pricing), so we wont see a high end from nok nok till around q4 with the meego flagship.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

symbian still has a lot of potential since its open. Maemo is quite powerful and is able to rival android and iOS nokia is just not popular in the west especially in america

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0 View Post
    symbian still has a lot of potential since its open. Maemo is quite powerful and is able to rival android and iOS nokia is just not popular in the west especially in america
    Tru........ symbian guru said he will be back in a yr.
    man dar Jamaica zandegi mikonam.. JTW Magazine for all your analysis & financial news http://www.facebook.com/JtoMag1876JamaicaOnline

Quote Originally Posted by zerodeth View Post
    As of today, I will no longer be updating Symbian-Guru.com, and will be purchasing an Android-powered smartphone – my new Nexus One should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been a Nokia fanboy since 1999, and a Symbian fanboy since I got my Nokia 6620 in summer of 2004. Since then, I’ve personally owned 10+ different Symbian-powered smartphones, and have reviewed nearly every Symbian-powered smartphone that’s been released in the past 3 years or so. I’ve tried to use all of Nokia’s various products and services to the best of my ability, and I just can’t do it anymore..................con't

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/...m-is-over.html

was wondering how one one posted it yet
    There is some hope for reconciliation with Symbian.

Vanjoki is clearly aware of the criticism that Nokia and the Symbian platform has faced:

Symbian is our platform of choice for Nokia smartphones. Symbian has taken a lot of criticism lately – some of it fair, some not. But what is consistently overlooked is that Symbian still accounts for more than two-fifths of the global smartphone market. We believe the Nokia N8 will have great appeal. People want a smartphone that is familiar, packed with features, offers great performance. With products like the N8 and others to follow, we have preserved the best and most familiar parts of Symbian, making it effortless for the largest population of smartphone users to upgrade. We are determined to win back supporters, including Ricky, our favourite Symbian Guru.

Unsurprisingly, there's a reminder of Symbian's dominant market share, but there's a clear contention that familiarity, together with features and performance, are key ingredients in Nokia's Symbian devices going forward.

A nod towards our friends at the Symbian-Guru blog is indicative of the scale of the challenge that Nokia faces at the high end of the market, but also suggests that, at the very highest levels, Nokia listens to the conversations of its community more closely than many people may realise.
    Vanjoki goes on to explain Nokia's ambition for MeeGo:

MeeGo offers us an opportunity to take mobile technology beyond the smartphone, and into a new world of connected devices. As Symbian gears up to compete with the likes of iPhone and Android, MeeGo is taking clear aim at the computing space. The current phase of MeeGo development is looking awesome. We believe it will power the computers of the future. And the computers of the future will not be tied to a desk or even a lap – they will fit in your pocket.

MeeGo is a keystone technology for Nokia's aspirations in mobile technology. As we outlined in our recent article on the changing shape of Nseries, it is clear that Nokia sees MeeGo as a platform to build products beyond smartphones.

Just as notable is the idea that Nokia's vision for mobile computing is about devices that will fit in the pocket; a position that Nokia have long maintained. While the company has experimented with netbooks and will likely do so with tablets, there is a continuing vision of the pocketable mobile computer (with the physical size constraints that that implies), standing in contrast with some of Nokia's major competitors.

From the ground up, MeeGo is a computer operating system. Working with Intel, we’ve combined our assets to create a software platform that completely integrates mobile elements such as GPS, Bluetooth, NFC and more. This will offer developers a rich environment to create new possibilities for users. For consumers, it will mean true computing power in your pocket. Something that can deliver everything you want, but be with you all the time.

Again the potential for new possibilities is flagged as well as the importance of developers in Nokia's MeeGo vision. It is interesting to see NFC (a short range wireless communication standard) name checked, suggesting it will be integrated in MeeGo devices in 2011
    Last edited by dehyah; Jul 6, 2010 at 09:39 PM.

Regardless of the challenges that Nokia faces at the moment. I still believe in Nokia. They are simply the best the most practical and sensible mobile solution, whether it be Symbian (s60) or the proprietary OS (s40).