Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Microsoft Reminds Users Of Auto SP2 Update Deadline

Default Re: Microsoft Reminds Users Of Auto SP2 Update Deadline

isnt this thing comming whether the auto-updates are on or off??

It doesn't matter what connection you have. The update feature downloads the file little at a time. Not all at one time. So each time you use the internet, it downloads part of the file.

That is how the auto-update features works.
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

Funny, I don't see any problems with SP2. Why are people so afraid of it?
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

I have SP2 and am quite ok with it.....Remember people....when you pruchase an XP CD, you don't own the software. You purchase the RIGHT to use it....hence it they require you to update, you must as they can not be held responsible for any problems arising from your lack of adherring to their requests which has now been enforced as mandatory.

The EULA agreement is damn long...I tried reading some of it once......very very very long...and by the time you done reading it...you probably wont want to install the software after you see all the agreements you have to....er....agree to.

About those illegal copies of XP......thats another issue...... there are, however cheaper alternatives to buying an oem....

Anyone who wants SP2 and can't DL it...just link me with a blank and I'll get it to you. XPSP2. It was on the Mona FTP so I have the full installer!

Anyone using Anti-spy? It seems to work surprisingly good for an MS product!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

damn this thread has been around long and i just seeing it. Foulry move that microsoft do ! Maybe them have solid reasons but sp2 slows down my computer and take up space i don't want it take up.... Oh well i have no choice coz i need them updates from microsft so i can't switch off auto-update. Did i say microsoft is gay !
    I havn't broken any terms of agreement right ?

Default Windows XP SP2 Grace Period Expires

The April 12, 2005 deadline passed Tuesday and Microsoft has followed through with its pledge to revoke the grace period that provided enterprise customers the option to postpone the adoption of Windows XP Service Pack 2. The update, which fortifies Windows with a variety of new security enhancements, will now be pushed to customers and has become a requirement to receive future upgrades.

In response to a chorus of widespread customer feedback insisting that SP2 could prove disruptive to mission critical applications, Microsoft made several support tools available that temporarily blocked the delivery of SP2 via Automatic Updates and forestalled Windows Update installations.

Customers still may block SP2 installation by turning off Automatic Update completely, but in doing so will lose the ability to apply future Windows upgrades, including a batch of critical security updates that were released today.

Read more: http://www.betanews.com/article/Wind...res/1113353314
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

so even if i go to the microsoft site to DL the updates manually it gonna say that i need to install sp2?? damn it mek sense...No way out of this chief ! ! Ryde or die with microsoft thats what billl basically telling me ! !

Just click windows update in "All programs"...it should be at the top! Then you can select what updates you wish to install.....TURN OFF THE DAMN UPDATE IF YOU WISH but visit Windows Update every once ina while just to check what you need....you may even find up-to-date drivers for your hardware there!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

oh so i can still update without sp2 being a requirement for these critical updates then

Quote Originally Posted by pogi_2nr
    This is some funny stuff. MS has decided not to give their users the option to decline
    the sp? I have never read the EULA for any windows products, I guess they reserved
    the right to do that. Once you clicked "I agree" you just sold your soul megiddo.
    An interesting experiment was performed by a company called PC Pitstop to
    measure the extent to which people ignored EULAs. They inserted a clause in
    their own EULA which offered a reward to anyone who sent an email to the
    address given in the EULA. After 3,000 downloads and four months, one person
    finally took advantage of the offer and received a check in the mail for $1,000,
    according to the company's Web site. For more details and reasons why you
    should read the EULA see
    We need to stop selling our souls.